Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 17-222 mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 17-222 mag

Recently acquired this weaoon in great condition, there is no mfg markings on the rifle. I recently read an artical which stated it could have been mfg,d by the Obrien rifle co. in Las Vegas NV. How can I find out for sure? I would also like to talk to someone who reloads these rounds. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I found this

O'BRIEN RIFLE CO.
Previous bolt action rifle manufacturer located in Las Vegas, NV circa 1966-1971.
Vern O'Brien manufactured high quality bolt action rifles, many of which were chambered for proprietary calibers, including the .17 Mach 4, .17 Javelina, .17-222, .17-222 Mag., and .17-223. There were basically two grades - a Field Grade with rosewood forend tip and pistol grip, and a Presentation Grade with basket weave checkering, Javelina inlaid in the stock opposite the cheekpiece, and a diamond inlaid below the action. All rifles were based on the Sako L-461 action. Circa 1971, Vern O'Brien sold his company to H&R, which produced a rifle similar to his called the 317 Ultra Wildcat. Values are hard to predict in today's marketplace because so few are encountered. A starting price range for the Field Grade is $750-$1,400, and $1,150-$2,500 for the Presentation Grade.
Manufacturer Specific Product Categories

Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If it is built on the L-461 action you got one hell of a shooter on yoru hands there. My brother has an L-46 sako action 222rem it will shoot in the .2" group range for 5 shots at 100 yards. These action are gems and many guys would pay a premium for them to build custom rifles on.

if you need more infor on the 17-222mag then look no futher that Saubier.com. That is the best place to go for the sub calibers (Sub caliber meaning anything smaller than .224")