Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Colorado Gun Forum > Out-of-state friend giving me a handgun -- FFL transfer required?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quit trying to justify reasons to break the law.

If it crosses state line, FFL Transfer PERIOD.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #12

Liked 1039 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Don't forget state laws may apply as well. Even if it were a loan or inheritance either state may still require paperwork. Safest and most legal way to do it is with an FFL, anything else is asking for serious trouble in an effort to save a few bucks.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

People Like This 
Old 03-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #13

Likes Given: 1

I am curious how many of you replying are attorneys? I am not a firearms area expert but my understanding of the law is that if you are a private party shipping to a private party, no FFL is involved. And yes I am an attorney who lives in CO. My sister shipped me a handgun I had left with her by mistake in Utah by putting it in a USPS box and mailing it to me. No prob Bob.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20074 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook View Post
I am curious how many of you replying are attorneys? I am not a firearms area expert but my understanding of the law is that if you are a private party shipping to a private party, no FFL is involved. And yes I am an attorney who lives in CO. My sister shipped me a handgun I had left with her by mistake in Utah by putting it in a USPS box and mailing it to me. No prob Bob.
i think we made it very clear we weren't attorneys. and if you broke the law by doing it the way you did, then i guess you could always represent yourself!

just because it got through doesn't mean what you did was legal. and i am pretty sure that the ATF has definate rules that need to be followed and any gun transfer across state lines does require an FFL tranfer. private parties or not.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #15

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
That was NOT a transfer of ownership. Big difference. And no, I'm not an attorney either. I do however, have a knack for understanding legalese. But even then, "transfer of ownership" isn't hard to understand.

Any transfer of ownership across state lines must go thru an FFL, except in inheritance cases. And even then, wouldn't it just be so much easier to do it in inheritance cases, than to have someone give you grief later?

Nahh, any time it crosses state lines, for a transfer of ownership, use an FFL.

Last edited by trip286; 03-17-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #16

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Now, an area I'm curious in...
Can you ship WITHIN the state to do a private sale, without an FFL?

Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 317 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Darn straight use an FFL...the Feds are looking to fill their coffers on every turn and they love picking the fruit off the low hanging branches. Don't give them any excuse to tap on your shoulder.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20074 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Now, an area I'm curious in...
Can you ship WITHIN the state to do a private sale, without an FFL?
i have heard that within in the state that as long as per state law it was legal to do so you can. really not 100% sure about that. i think it would still be best even within the state to go through an FFL to just be safe rather than sorry. personally i would err on the side of caution myself.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #19

Liked 1687 Times on 951 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

Hey Spook. You are obviously not a lawyer that deals with firearm law. Unless your sister is an FFL she commited a crime by mailing you a handgun. She just didnt get caught. It does not matter who's gun it was. It is a crime to use the USPS to mail a handgun unles you are a dealer. Go to USPS.com. It is clearly stated there.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 317 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:

You broke the law.

§ 178.30 Out-of-State disposition of firearms by nonlicensees.
No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any other nonlicensee, who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides:

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

People Like This 
Closed Thread