Out-of-state friend giving me a handgun -- FFL transfer required?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Colorado Gun Forum > Out-of-state friend giving me a handgun -- FFL transfer required?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Out-of-state friend giving me a handgun -- FFL transfer required?

Hey folks, new member here. I live in Colorado Springs; a buddy of mine in St Louis wants to give me his Ruger SR9. Can he simply UPS it to me, or does it HAVE to be sent to an FFL for a formal transfer? I've read conflicting reports and am looking for a straight answer. Appreciate any advice!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
Hey folks, new member here. I live in Colorado Springs; a buddy of mine in St Louis wants to give me his Ruger SR9. Can he simply UPS it to me, or does it HAVE to be sent to an FFL for a formal transfer? I've read conflicting reports and am looking for a straight answer. Appreciate any advice!
you might get some better answers if you post this in the NFA/Class 3 and FFL section of the forum.

i am pretty sure (but please check, i am not an attorney!) that an out of state transfer of a firearm has to go through an FFL dealer to be a legal transfer. please check to be sure.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #3

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

It needs to be transferred through an FFL.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #4

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

yes its required outside of your state.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8877 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

With the sole exception of INHERITANCE- any transfer of ownership of a firearm across a state line MUST be made thru a FFL in the destination state. Includes sales, gifts, raffles, giveaways, etc ad infinitum.

This is covered in Federal law under Title 18, US Code, section 922. By the letter of the law, the firearm must go TO a FFL in your state of residence. You receive it from them after doing a 4473 and a background check.

An inherited firearm may be sent directly to the recipient by the executor, so long as possession is legal in the receiving state. Same law.

If your bud is not a FFL, he will have to use UPS or FedEx Next Day Air, and it will bite him for about $70 in shipping. However, if he can find a friendly dealer at his end, the dealer CAN use US Mail (only dealers and mfgrs can MAIL a handgun). That is usually a LOT cheaper. Priority mail flat rate box.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #6

Thank you all for the quick and helpful responses! Let me ask though -- given the wording of Paragraph 5B under Title 18, US Code, section 922 (below), it seems an FFL transfer is not required if the firearm is being loaned to the recipient. Assuming I plan to return the Ruger to my friend at a later date (after I purchase my own), is the FFL transfer required?

"...except that this paragraph shall not apply to

(A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a
firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an
acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who
is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of
the State of his residence, and
(B) the loan or rental of a
firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting
purposes;

Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #7

Likes Given: 2

It's probably just best to jump through the hoops and transfer it through an FFL!

Carry Often, Carry EVERYWHERE!

Rick

Old 12-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8877 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

PG- There has been (AFAIK) no definition of temporary, other than the dictionary definition- but the ATF has more lawyers than I have. And your bud will still have trouble shipping the gun, since UPS and FedEx will require that it be shipped TO a FFL, and yes, he MUST declare that it is a firearm to the shipper.

Rather than tapdance in the minefield, find a local FFL who will do the transfer on the cheap. There is a "Find a FFL" function on the home page for gunbroker.com, usually shows their prices for a transfer, just plug in your zip code to find the ones near you.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
With the sole exception of INHERITANCE- any transfer of ownership of a firearm across a state line MUST be made thru a FFL in the destination state. Includes sales, gifts, raffles, giveaways, etc ad infinitum.

This is covered in Federal law under Title 18, US Code, section 922. By the letter of the law, the firearm must go TO a FFL in your state of residence. You receive it from them after doing a 4473 and a background check.

An inherited firearm may be sent directly to the recipient by the executor, so long as possession is legal in the receiving state. Same law.

If your bud is not a FFL, he will have to use UPS or FedEx Next Day Air, and it will bite him for about $70 in shipping. However, if he can find a friendly dealer at his end, the dealer CAN use US Mail (only dealers and mfgrs can MAIL a handgun). That is usually a LOT cheaper. Priority mail flat rate box.
We had loved one leave his guns to members of the family. We ended up going thru an FFL just to cut the red tape.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconceal View Post
It's probably just best to jump through the hoops and transfer it through an FFL!
it's not better to jump through the hoops and use an FFL, it's the law to do so.