Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Colorado Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   Denver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f117/denver-58814/)

TheDanielism 02-26-2012 06:49 AM

Denver

Hey guys and gals, I live in Lakewood and would like to do some shooting and plinking. If you know of any good places to go shoot, let me know!!

c3shooter 02-26-2012 01:52 PM

Daniel- I no longer live in Colorado, but I used to. Besides the indoor range right off of I-225, there was a public outdoor range at Cherry Creek.

I also belonged to the Ben Lomond Gun Club. HQs were in Colorado Springs, branch over in Franktown. 500 acre range out beyond Kiowa. Dues were reasonable, you could shoot anything that did not have wheels on it. You do need to be NRA member.

Some of the folks that DO live there should pipe up with some good spots. I also spent time getting to know ranchers that had a prairie dog problem.....:D

TheDanielism 02-26-2012 07:29 PM

That is some good info, thanks!

scots 02-29-2012 03:13 PM

Indoor Range

There is an indoor range in Englewood also. Handguns only, I think, as it is limited in distance.
Also, used to be (and perhaps still is) an indoor range in Lakewood for both rifles and handguns. Just off Wadsworth to the West. I believe it is on Jewel, but not sure.
Enjoy the bangs!

Scots

TCH2FLY 03-03-2012 02:57 PM

Family Shooting Center at Cherry Creek State park was a few minutes from my office so I went a lot and was very pleased but it can be VERY crowded on weekends (being a member gets you priority :D ). It is outdoor and has both pistol (10 yd) and rifle (50/100 yd) ranges

Firing Line in Aurora isn't a bad facility but has a bad rep as a hangout for gangbangers and wannabes. Indoor 50 ft pistol

The range in Lakewod has had several different owners, currently it is called Blu-Core Shooting center. I have not been under the new ownership but I have heard poor reviews. Indoor pistol (15 yd) and rifle (100yd).

The Shootist Pistol range is in Englewood. I have never been but I know several people who shoot there and while the reviews are mixed they are generally positive.

Silver Bullet shooting range in Wheatridge, I have never been and do not know anyone who has.

If you want to go into the mountains you could look into Buffalo Creek Gun Club in Bailey. The Harris Park range in the Pike National Forest may or may not be open, I hear mixed reports. In general you may shoot anywhere in the National Forest unless it is specifically banned. Check the USFS websites for maps.

As C3 mentioned Ben Lomond has a great range but it is quite a drive from the western suburbs. I was never a member but have several friends who are and enjoy the facilites.

If you want to shoot long range and don't mind a long drive (and no dues), go up to Pawnee Grasslands, northest of Greeley. There are many areas you can shoot and you can setup for anything from 50 yds out to 1500+ yds.

TheDanielism 03-04-2012 07:14 AM

That is some wicked awesome info guys!!

Just to add to your reviews, I have been to Blucore Shooting Center in Lakewood, and I really like the range. Very up to date with a fantastic ventilation system. The bad reviews might be coming from price. $17 per shooter seems out of control to me.

At $16 per shooter, Silver Bullet in Wheat Ridge is on the same level of price. Facilities aren't as up to date and they have about 1/3 of the lanes as Blucore, so I have seen wait lists as long as 2 hrs. They have a much larger waiting area, which is more comfortable if you must wait.

I just can't Wait for warmer weather in the mountains to go shooting for free and take out some fun targets.

treespdr 03-07-2012 02:26 AM

If you don't mind the drive dragonmans outside of colo spgs not a bad place have long range and can purchase most ammo at the main building

TheDanielism 03-10-2012 05:48 AM

That sounds pretty cool. My grandparents live in Pueblo, might have to make the trip

Tommygunarms 07-01-2012 06:50 AM

I too live in Lakewood and the place I usually go shooting is out by Idaho Springs its an open area to shoot, free to go to, and you can shoot any thing you want out there.

TheDanielism 07-02-2012 06:10 PM

Hey Tommy, I had someone I know point me in that direction before! I have been up there countless times in the past 4 months and I love it up there. Great plays to bust a few clay pigeons