Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > California Gun Forum > Why is the Beretta Nano not approved for Cal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I am not an expert on this by any means, just another California subject.... I mean resident, who tries as hard as I can to stay within the Draconian laws here.
I'm with you on not wanting to break any of the laws of this foreign country called California.

If someone I know (in Oregon, as an example) owns a firearm that I want, I should be able to buy it "used" from him, hand it off to a gun shop up there, have them ship it to an FFL down here, wait my 10 days, and then pick it up local. I would probably have to pay a fee to both gun shops for the paperwork but it would be worth doing if its legal and I get the firearm I want. I don't buy very many guns so any limits wouldn't be an issue. Anybody see an issue with this plan?

Seems like the more I learn about this stuff, the more things I find that I don't know. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7834 Times on 4523 Posts
Likes Given: 10088

Yeah, you have it as I understand it. You might want to shop around for a CA FFL that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to receive it though. Some will charge a hundred or more.

If you think this scenario is bad just wait until you start looking into an AR!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popgun View Post
Hmmm,

I talked to a guy in town who said that his licensed gunshop could buy a firearm for me like a Beretta Nano (not on the approved list), modify it to be a single shot firearm (they also are a licensed gun manufacturer), and legally sell it to me as a single shot gun. Once I owned the firearm and had left the gun store, I could (according to them), return it for "upgrade" to a standard clip capacity of 7 rounds.

Now I have no respect for Kalifornia's unconstitutional gun restriction laws, but, I also have no desire to get caught-up in something for which I could be charged. What do you guys think; is this legally crazy and foolish, or, is this a creative procedure to accomplish what the customer wants in a lawful way?

Any thoughts?
Popgun,
Was this at Valkyrie? I have been looking into them for a stripped AR lower and on their website they do say that they can handle off-list guns, modify it for the transfer and then you can later (after taking possession) modify it back to the original configuration and it is considered to be "gunsmithing". That seems a little sketchy to me, but would probably be much less expensive and less of a hassle than the option I was suggesting (buying a used one from out of state), I would check with somebody else who is knowlegeable on the subject. There is also the federal consideration of the guy buying the gun with the intent to re-sell it. That is something I forgot to consider when I suggested it and something I am not conversant on other than knowing that if you do purchase a gun with the intent to re-sell it you are by definition "dealing" in firearms. I am not sure if this applies with only one purchase/sale or not nor do I know if there is an exception for a single gun or not.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Popgun,
Was this at Valkyrie? I have been looking into them for a stripped AR lower and on their website they do say that they can handle off-list guns, modify it for the transfer and then you can later (after taking possession) modify it back to the original configuration and it is considered to be "gunsmithing". That seems a little sketchy to me, but would probably be much less expensive and less of a hassle than the option I was suggesting (buying a used one from out of state), I would check with somebody else who is knowlegeable on the subject. There is also the federal consideration of the guy buying the gun with the intent to re-sell it. That is something I forgot to consider when I suggested it and something I am not conversant on other than knowing that if you do purchase a gun with the intent to re-sell it you are by definition "dealing" in firearms. I am not sure if this applies with only one purchase/sale or not nor do I know if there is an exception for a single gun or not.
You know your gunshops Viking, but I'm not going to go that route, too sketchy. Also, that's a good concern about someone being called a "dealer", I can't imagine someone selling me just one gun that he owns would make him a dealer but I'll try to see if I can find any Fed law to worry about.

Thanks again for your input

Old 06-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popgun View Post
You know your gunshops Viking, but I'm not going to go that route, too sketchy. Also, that's a good concern about someone being called a "dealer", I can't imagine someone selling me just one gun that he owns would make him a dealer but I'll try to see if I can find any Fed law to worry about.

Thanks again for your input
The Federal law says (paraphrased) "cannot purchase a firearm with the intent to sell same" without an FFL. You might want to PM C3Shooter with the specific questions (he chimed in earlier in the thread). He is a wealth of information on firearms and an FFL.