Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > California Gun Forum > What's the easiest way to Legally carry ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 7

Default What's the easiest way to Legally carry ?

Just purchased first Pistol last month . Glock 26 and reason for purchasing is that I wanted to have protection outside my home . Something small that can carry . Do I go for the ccw permit? I don't really have a job that would be good enough cause. I know about the 9th previous decision . My Father works for our local Sheriff Dept. he states that you will still need a good cause in your application other than self defense .

Is there any other options ?
Classes for Security Gaurd ? Private investigator etc?
Please give input if you know the easiest route. I know this is California and it's all BS here

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Hmm. I guess it depends on which county you live in. The county I used to live in, in KA, allowed "self-defense" to be the justification for getting a concealed carry permit.

I never did, because I knew I wasn't going to be there long enough to justify the cost (my county also required a psych eval).

My recommendation is to talk to your sheriff, face-to-face, and try to gauge how he stands on it. He might accept self-defense as a valid reason to have a concealed carry permit.

Also I recommend trying anyway if you have the money. If you are turned down, maybe you could get the NRA and CalGuns involved and maybe take it to court? It would be a long battle but if you're successful it could conceivably help others in the long run.

Good luck to you. I hope you can make it work.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 04-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

Liked 4532 Times on 2191 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

apply anyway... And when rejected, file a lawsuit... Or leave that cesspool for a free state.

Tack

Old 04-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #4

Liked 360 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 988

I would just go for a ccw,if you work nights or in a rural area or if you carry large amours of cash are good enough I would think.
I'm here in ca also but the county I'm in is a shall issue and self defense is a good reason.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

9mmSacristan Likes This 
Old 04-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1274 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Also remember that some states allow you to apply in other counties within the state. Your permit is legal statewide no matter which Sheriff approves it. Read your law carefully and see if there is a nearby county that could qualify to issue your permit. Also, if you have ever had to file for a restraining order or handle large deposits for your business (High risk target) then you may have a valid reason.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 04-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #6

Liked 4532 Times on 2191 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

...or carry concealed without a permit. If you ever need it, you'll have it... along with precedence for your defense and lawsuit.

Risky but it's an option.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #7

Liked 420 Times on 233 Posts

I thought they did away with having to name a reason for wanting a permit. I remember reading it somewhere.

You can always put in the reason box " cause the 2nd says I can" probably won't float but a good attorney will straiten it out when he files the suit against the county and or state.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #8

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

I would never recommend any illegal carry as if you get caught you may lose your gun rights completely. That means you may lose ownership rights and you would have to give up your gun.

I'd do as JW357 suggests - talk to a local authority and get proper direction. Make the best decision.

Classes by recognized organizations may influence and show that you are responsible and willing to commit time and learn the right approach.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #9

Liked 848 Times on 566 Posts
Likes Given: 515

Even in NH, with our excellent gun rights, we still have a spot on the application that wants to know why you want the permit. I put "For a all lawful purposes". But, we are a shall issue state.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Move to a freer state when you can.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.