Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   California Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   What's the easiest way to Legally carry ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f116/whats-easiest-way-legally-carry-106352/)

9mmSacristan 04-20-2014 03:37 PM

What's the easiest way to Legally carry ?

Just purchased first Pistol last month . Glock 26 and reason for purchasing is that I wanted to have protection outside my home . Something small that can carry . Do I go for the ccw permit? I don't really have a job that would be good enough cause. I know about the 9th previous decision . My Father works for our local Sheriff Dept. he states that you will still need a good cause in your application other than self defense .

Is there any other options ?
Classes for Security Gaurd ? Private investigator etc?
Please give input if you know the easiest route. I know this is California and it's all BS here

JW357 04-20-2014 03:43 PM

Hmm. I guess it depends on which county you live in. The county I used to live in, in KA, allowed "self-defense" to be the justification for getting a concealed carry permit.

I never did, because I knew I wasn't going to be there long enough to justify the cost (my county also required a psych eval).

My recommendation is to talk to your sheriff, face-to-face, and try to gauge how he stands on it. He might accept self-defense as a valid reason to have a concealed carry permit.

Also I recommend trying anyway if you have the money. If you are turned down, maybe you could get the NRA and CalGuns involved and maybe take it to court? It would be a long battle but if you're successful it could conceivably help others in the long run.

Good luck to you. I hope you can make it work.

Tackleberry1 04-20-2014 03:44 PM

apply anyway... And when rejected, file a lawsuit... Or leave that cesspool for a free state.

Tack

rifleman1 04-20-2014 03:46 PM

I would just go for a ccw,if you work nights or in a rural area or if you carry large amours of cash are good enough I would think.
I'm here in ca also but the county I'm in is a shall issue and self defense is a good reason.

TekGreg 04-20-2014 03:53 PM

Also remember that some states allow you to apply in other counties within the state. Your permit is legal statewide no matter which Sheriff approves it. Read your law carefully and see if there is a nearby county that could qualify to issue your permit. Also, if you have ever had to file for a restraining order or handle large deposits for your business (High risk target) then you may have a valid reason.

Tackleberry1 04-20-2014 04:20 PM

...or carry concealed without a permit. If you ever need it, you'll have it... along with precedence for your defense and lawsuit.

Risky but it's an option.

ctshooter 04-20-2014 04:29 PM

I thought they did away with having to name a reason for wanting a permit. I remember reading it somewhere.

You can always put in the reason box " cause the 2nd says I can" probably won't float but a good attorney will straiten it out when he files the suit against the county and or state.

wittmeba 04-20-2014 04:40 PM

I would never recommend any illegal carry as if you get caught you may lose your gun rights completely. That means you may lose ownership rights and you would have to give up your gun.

I'd do as JW357 suggests - talk to a local authority and get proper direction. Make the best decision.

Classes by recognized organizations may influence and show that you are responsible and willing to commit time and learn the right approach.

clr8ter 04-20-2014 05:09 PM

Even in NH, with our excellent gun rights, we still have a spot on the application that wants to know why you want the permit. I put "For a all lawful purposes". But, we are a shall issue state.

orangello 04-20-2014 05:11 PM

Move to a freer state when you can. :(