My dad is considering moving here - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > California Gun Forum > My dad is considering moving here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo
Unfortunately, I have to move to California whether I want to or not. None of my guns will comply with CA laws (as I understand them, or as new ones are being entertained in the legislature). I am in a conundrum whether to comply or just go under the radar as best as I can. Unless something unforeseen happens I should never have a problem that would require a search of my property or anything like that. Any suggestions (outside of don't move)?
Move to oklahoma instead

Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7316 Times on 4400 Posts
Likes Given: 8975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
Unfortunately, I have to move to California whether I want to or not. None of my guns will comply with CA laws (as I understand them, or as new ones are being entertained in the legislature). I am in a conundrum whether to comply or just go under the radar as best as I can. Unless something unforeseen happens I should never have a problem that would require a search of my property or anything like that. Any suggestions (outside of don't move)?
You could probably get away with 'sneaking them into' Cali but you'd never be able to take them out and shoot them at any range. I would retire the non-compliant guns in the safe and buy a whole new set of guns that you can shoot in Cali. LOL

Old 09-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 458 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
I am in a conundrum whether to comply or just go under the radar as best as I can. Unless something unforeseen happens I should never have a problem that would require a search of my property or anything like that.
I would say comply. What are the penalties for not complying if you get caught. ?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 324

I was born & raised in SoCal. I moved away when I was 15 (1981). CA still has much going for it in a lot of ways. However there is no way in hell I would consider moving there the way it is. High taxes. High cost of living. Seems to me that everyone with the means is moving out, to places like NV, OR & UT. CA is a sinking ship, this isn't the time to climb aboard.

http://townhall.com/columnists/victordavishanson/2013/09/12/one-california--or-two-n1697362/page/full

Quote:
Are you in the armed forces?
Yes? Leave your guns with a family member in a free state.
No? Then you probably have some say in the matter.
Under the RADAR? Don't do it. No one here is going to tell you to do anything illegal where firearms are concerned. The stakes are too high.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 09-13-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #15

Liked 50 Times on 28 Posts

I'll look after them for you....just a short hop over the state line to OR...come shoot them anytime you want

Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

As mentioned nobody is going to advise you to do anything illegal.

Many Californians are faced with the same questions you are asking here with pending legislation that is currently being discussed. Many of us are considering moving out of state, some are considering moving the outlawed items out of state but remaining here themselves and some are just locking up the illegal stuff and "throwing away the key" so to speak.

If I were in your position I would consider buying a gun safe and locking up all of my CA-illegal stuff in AZ and visiting there as often as I could. It could be kept at a friend's house or in a storage facility. I am sure that there are such available.

In response to what Winds said, I frequently see many people who shoot illegal weapons or have illegal items (standard-cal magazines FE) with impunity at public ranges and not get in trouble. A good friend of mine has a "highly illegal" Colt AR15 with 30-round mags that he was shooting at a public range when several members of a local SWAT team came in and were using the benches next to him. he was sh!tting bricks about it when one of them commented on it, they ended up trying out each other's guns and having a great old time. Nothing was said as to the legality of his rifle and there is no question that it is what I describe. Happens all the time. Same thing with competitions, we get out-of-state competitors here who bring their gear and use it without repercussions, ****ting with LE competitors and all.

In other words, there is a great deal of peaceful non-compliance going on here. I am not advocating you take that route, but I will say that if you get caught up in a situation where your guns are an issue, you will be a n some very, very serious trouble. That does happen too.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #17

Liked 519 Times on 352 Posts

On some guns I believe if you bring them with you you can keep them for instance you can have a Gen 4 but you can't buy a gen 4 in California gen 4 Glock f.y.i.
Other guns you might just have to alter to make them California legal.

Best suggestion I can tell you is Google California gun laws do a search on moving to California with your existing guns what is legal what isn't

Don't take anything you read on a forum: to be accurate investigate it yourself.

Cal guns might be a good place to search

Old 09-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
On some guns I believe if you bring them with you you can keep them for instance you can have a Gen 4 but you can't buy a gen 4 in California gen 4 Glock f.y.i.
Other guns you might just have to alter to make them California legal.

Best suggestion I can tell you is Google California gun laws do a search on moving to California with your existing guns what is legal what isn't

Don't take anything you read on a forum: to be accurate investigate it yourself.

Cal guns might be a good place to search
Calguns is an excellent resource. Not as friendly as here, but a great resource nevertheless.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.