In the State of Arkansas, can I buy a handgun at 18? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Arkansas Gun Forum > In the State of Arkansas, can I buy a handgun at 18?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 02:28 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8839 Times on 5115 Posts
Likes Given: 11538

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPaul2012 View Post
Well, as I assume y'all imagine, Arkansas is very lenient (although it should be more lenient) on guns. I'm 17 and went to the firing range with my .40 S&W the other day and all I had to do was sign a waiver (didn't even need my parents to sign).

Here in CA they don't ask age when we go to the range (I bring my 2 teenage sons all the time) and they don't make me sign any waivers specifically for them. They do have a policy that all minors (under 18) must have an adult within arm's reach at all times when handling a firearm, but they do not enforce the policy with us as long as they are not too busy because we have been going there for many years with perfect range safety practices. On busy days when there are lots of people new to the range we always comply with the policy so as to avoid any problems for the range personnel and ourselves (you know, the jerk who brings his kid to the range for the first time and doesn't know the first thing about range safety and would be the first one to point out that we aren't following policy but they have to). I imagine that they would probably not raise a stink if my oldest son were to go by himself.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:27 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

OK- PLEASE PAY ATTENTION. If you are an Arkansas LEO, attorney, or Dealer, please speak up. Everyone else, please settle down.

There are two DIFFERENT criteria- Federal law and State law. Federal law relates to a sale of firearms AND ammunition by a licensed person (that means a dealer) and must be met in ALL states. That says you have to be 21.

HOWEVER- state law is specific to THAT state. What applies in YOUR state does not apply in others. In many states, you must be 21 to purchase a handgun from anyone, or to possess one. That MAY not apply to Arkansas when addressing a transfer between private parties that do NOT have a FFL. There ARE states that permit private purchase at 18.

As far as having to have a permit, etc etc ad infinitum- again, those requirements are state specific. What YOU need and what the poster needs are two different things IF you are not in Arkansas.

To the Original Poster- I am NOT an attorney- am an engineer, gun collector, shooter. If I offer you legal advice, and my advice sux, you can tell the nice Deputy putting cuffs on you "Hey, some dude on the internet called C3 told me it was OK!". At that point, I'm sure he will take the cuffs off.

I would urge you to put this question to the Arkansas State Police for an accurate and current answer. I will tell you that Federal statutes will not let you buy ammo for a handgun until you are 21 (anywhere in the US) and that Arknsas DOES have restrictions on carrying a firearm- not just a concealed firearm.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

They make rifles that shoot handgun ammunition so in order to buy pistol ammo you must make a valid and provable point that you own such gun