Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Arkansas Gun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Hello from the Ouachita Mountains (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f115/hello-ouachita-mountains-58042/)

Rough2000 02-17-2012 11:32 PM

Hello from the Ouachita Mountains

Looking forward to posts from other Arkansans.

scottmphoto 02-18-2012 12:26 AM

Howdy yourself, I'm in the Dardanelle/Russellville area.

downsouth 02-18-2012 12:40 AM

Y'all live in nice areas of Arkansas. We come up from MS a couple times a year to enjoy the natural state.

Rough2000 02-18-2012 12:28 PM

Sitting around this morning wondering if our IDPA match will be rained out today. Match is supposed to start at 9:00am...weather radar is showing green and yellow about the size of Texas moving this way. Sure want to go out shooting this AM.

ARhillbilly 02-18-2012 11:05 PM

I've been told the Ouachita's were once the tallest mountains in what is now the US. :eek:

Rough2000 02-19-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARhillbilly (Post 713232)
I've been told the Ouachita's were once the tallest mountains in what is now the US. :eek:

Well you forced me to do some Googling...found this in Wikipedia. Take what you want to believe...

"The Ouachita Mountains are fold mountains like the Appalachian Mountains to the east, and were originally part of that range. During the Pennsylvanian part of the Carboniferous period, about 300 million years ago, the coastline of the Gulf of Mexico ran through the central parts of Arkansas. The South American Plate drifted northward, riding up over the denser North American continental crust.[6] Geologists call this collision the Ouachita orogeny. The collision buckled the overriding plate, producing the fold mountains we call the Ouachitas. [I]At one time the Ouachita Mountains were very similar in height to the current elevations of the Rocky Mountains.[/I] Because of the Ouachitas' age, the craggy tops have eroded away, leaving the low formations that used to be the heart of the mountains."

I want to believe that I am sitting on "Gulf" front property. Instead I live on "golf" front property.

KA5ROW 05-16-2012 02:22 PM

I contacted the geology department at OU university some years back and they think the mountains in SE Oklahoma were never over 5000 ft elevation. But that is just an opinion from them.
Anyway I live in Poteau, OK near FT. Smith, AR

Rough2000 05-16-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KA5ROW (Post 803658)
I contacted the geology department at OU university some years back and they think the mountains in SE Oklahoma were never over 5000 ft elevation. But that is just an opinion from them.
Anyway I live in;) Poteau, OK near FT. Smith, AR

As someone wrote about the Arkansas mountains...It's not the height of our mountains that make them great...it's the depth of the valleys.;)