Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Arizona Gun Forum > Scorpions...Ya cant shoot em!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1027 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Ok here's one for all you desert dwellers. I've been in my house for over 12 years. The first couple of years I never saw a scorpion. Then it started. 1-2 the first summer then 2-4 the next and so on. I've tried professional spraying and spraying on my own with spray mixed double and even triple strength. So far nothing has slowed them down. This summer has been the worst ever. I've taken steps like caulking around the cracks along the bottom of the house, caulking all the outlets, wall switches and A/C vents. I even screened the A/C registers. (After a scorpion fell on to the dinner table) My question is has anybody else gone through this with any success of eliminating or severely cutting down on the amount of scorpions? My wife is ready to move which I'm fine with but how do we know we won't have the same problem where we move to? Luckily the housing market has picked up a little bit here. Last year moving wouldn't have even been an option.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 828 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Hey, Paw.

Here are some thoughts...
Demon is good siht! My Home Depot sells it. Not cheap, but really good on arachnids.
They have come for a reason....water leak? Abundance of mites, ants, or whatever they eat?
The Demon will kill them, but you need to make your property less appealing to them or they will be back.

Good luck!

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Argyle_Armoring Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2707 Times on 1860 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Default I hate them!!!

Sry just can't stand them!! If no professional solution works then Yeah,..I'd consider moving even if it was my dream home! Lucky for us we don't get them that size here!! we get the smaller Box Scorpions which can still cause you lots of pain and illness without being fatal.
Clearly there is a nest somewhere in your Basement or walls!! It might be worth it to call a Pro....
I have only seen one of that size in 18 Months here(but as you know I'm up north) in my Yard after a heavy rain last Sept., and he got crushed by a BIG ROCK!! And FWIW,..you CAN shoot them with .22 Bird shot!!!(one reason why I have 4 boxes of it!)
We have a pest control company. $35 a month, and the only bugs of any kind we see now are dead or dying...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

JayCody Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Our community here has a lot a grass. I have a front and back lawn which really drew us to the community coming from California so there's definitely an abundance of water. The strange thing is we have friends on other streets in the community who have never seen a scorpion in the same amount of time they've lived here. I'll have to look into Demon. Is it labeled to kill scorpions or just their food source?

DrFootball I'd move up North in a heartbeat but its a little harder to find work up there. (That and my wife doesn't want to. )

Last edited by pawjr74; 07-07-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 828 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74
Our community here has a lot a grass. I have a front and back lawn which really drew us to the community coming from California so there's definitely an abundance of water. The strange thing is we have friends on other streets in the community who have never seen a scorpion in the same amount of time they've lived here. I'll have to look into Demon. Is it labeled to kill scorpions or just their food source?

DrFootball I'd move up North in a heartbeat but its a little harder to find work up there. (That and my wife doesn't want to. )
Here is a good link and I get it from amazon or EBay....well, until I saw that my Depot carried it

http://www.demonwp.com/

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 07-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Water is certainly an attraction for them and crickets. If you get rid of the crickets they have no food. Kill the crickets if you have them.

Good luck.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Any sprays or treatments need to be pet friendly. (It looks like Demon WP is)
We also have a bunch of these little guys bouncing around and I wouldn't want to kill them either. I'm not sure if they would eat a scorpion or not? We used to see geckos but I think the spraying was too much for them.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If there were any way to keep a bunch of pet hedgehogs, that'd be pretty awesome. I hear scorpions are their favorite food.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Of course you can shoot them. The gun you need is a salt rifle.

http://bugasalt.com/

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This