Az law (novice rifle question) if different then... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Arizona Gun Forum > Az law (novice rifle question) if different then...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewalker1911 View Post
I go by the "3 action" rule I've been taught. Basically, when driving w/ a firearm, there has to be at least 3 steps until you have the firearm in hand, locked & loaded. For instance: I keep my defense gun in a holster, in my closed console when driving (1: open console, 2: unsnap holster, 3: draw gun). Others opt to play it even safer by just keeping it in the trunk. However, having the gun on your person while driving is a felony unless you have a CCW. Still, I know many people who are much more lax about it all & have never run into trouble.

One thing I recommend to everybody is this: if you're pulled over, don't wait for the officer to ask if you have a firearm(s), just calmly say "officer, I should inform you that I am armed. How would you like me to proceed?". This is ESPECIALLY true if you have a CCW permit, because when they run your license & registration, it will show up & the officer will wonder why you didn't tell them. Basically, it's not just a matter of respect, but it will put the officer at ease which is going to make it go a lot smoother for you.
Whitewalker, where did you hear that it was a felony to carry a concealed weapon while driving? (For those of us OVER 21, of course!) I carry concealed almost every day when I drive. I have not been pulled over often, but was once for a taillight. I immediately told the officer I was carrying and said I would put it on the seat beside me. He just said "no problem, just wanted to tell you your passenger side tail light is burned out or not working." I thanked him and went my merry way. I just read the law page cited above and it looks to me that it's only misconduct if you are under 21. Read 1.B. otherwise, why there be a need for 2? I am not trying to put you down or anything like that... I really want to know if they changed laws behind our backs! :-)

Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsHrt101
Whitewalker, where did you hear that it was a felony to carry a concealed weapon while driving? (For those of us OVER 21, of course!) I carry concealed almost every day when I drive. I have not been pulled over often, but was once for a taillight. I immediately told the officer I was carrying and said I would put it on the seat beside me. He just said "no problem, just wanted to tell you your passenger side tail light is burned out or not working." I thanked him and went my merry way. I just read the law page cited above and it looks to me that it's only misconduct if you are under 21. Read 1.B. otherwise, why there be a need for 2? I am not trying to put you down or anything like that... I really want to know if they changed laws behind our backs! :-)
Only if you DON'T have a CCW. But you can't carry concealed period without a CCW. So say I don't have a CCW and I'm open carrying on a hip holster. That's all fine and good, but if I get into my car, no CCW remember, with my gun still holstered on my hip, I've committed a felony. AZ gun laws, while very open, are precise & finicky about certain little details.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #13

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Only if you DON'T have a CCW. But you can't carry concealed period without a CCW. So say I don't have a CCW and I'm open carrying on a hip holster. That's all fine and good, but if I get into my car, no CCW remember, with my gun still holstered on my hip, I've committed a felony. AZ gun laws, while very open, are precise & finicky about certain little details.
No, that law was changed. You do not need a permit anymore for ccw. You can ask at the gunshop, your instructor, or even a policeman. I have an istructor that will be training me with my rifle & shotgun (have't shot those since I was about 16). He said I could also get a ccw permit if I wanted to. I said "but you don't need them anymore in AZ... what is the advantage of having one?" He said "it's good to have one in case you travel to another state" But then the govt. will know I am a gun owner, so I haven't made up my mind yet. Anyway, talk soon :-)

Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You also need a CCW to carry concealed in any establishment that serves alcohol.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #15

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

If anybody wants to read in plain english, get one of Alan Korwin's books.

http://gunlaws.com/

Easy to understand, and he keeps them updated.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #16

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man
If anybody wants to read in plain english, get one of Alan Korwin's books.

http://gunlaws.com/

Easy to understand, and he keeps them updated.
Amen. I got this book. Money SO well spent.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm going to order a couple of books tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:47 AM   #18

Liked 314 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
You may get a different point of view from someone else. If you have a weapon, especially a loaded weapon in the vehicle with you and you get pulled over, I would inform the officer when he approaches the vehicle. You are not required to in this state but in my opinion it is better to inform the officer for the safety of all involved. If you do get your CCW and are driving a car that is registered to you, it will come up when the officer runs your info. I personally, inform the officer that I have a loaded firearm in the vehicle and ask how the officer wants to proceed with the rest of the traffic stop. This gives the officer a sense of safety and as a side benefit, the stop often goes better and has resulted in my being let go with a warning.
This is absolutely true. Happened to me.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 AM   #19
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Amen. I got this book. Money SO well spent.

Totally agree. We Also met him in the press room At SHOT. Very nice man....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...