Az law (novice rifle question) if different then...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Arizona Gun Forum > Az law (novice rifle question) if different then...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Az law (novice rifle question) if different then...

Without digging in law books, maybe a fellow az native can shed lite om a concelled gun law for me? If i was legal to own and carry a gun in the state of arizona ...and was driving from point (a) to point (b) in a chevy truck and transporting my rifle that is not in a case but behind or under the seat(not-loaded) ,out of site of by-passers and got pulled over by a policeman (local heros) for lets say a speeding violation ect, so would i be in "violation/breaking laws" in situation like that???? Basically, in a car if my (rifle) isnt visable and not loaded before a law officer would i get busted???... My handgun is always out and in holster to be legal

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax79 View Post
Without digging in law books, maybe a fellow az native can shed lite om a concelled gun law for me? If i was legal to own and carry a gun in the state of arizona ...and was driving from point (a) to point (b) in a chevy truck and transporting my rifle that is not in a case but behind or under the seat(not-loaded) ,out of site of by-passers and got pulled over by a policeman (local heros) for lets say a speeding violation ect, so would i be in "violation/breaking laws" in situation like that???? Basically, in a car if my (rifle) isnt visable and not loaded before a law officer would i get busted???... My handgun is always out and in holster to be legal
You dont need a ccw in az anymore it can be loaded and hidden anywhere you want. You can conceal your pistols also. You can still get a ccw makea it quicker to buy guns but you dont need it.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #4

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

You may get a different point of view from someone else. If you have a weapon, especially a loaded weapon in the vehicle with you and you get pulled over, I would inform the officer when he approaches the vehicle. You are not required to in this state but in my opinion it is better to inform the officer for the safety of all involved. If you do get your CCW and are driving a car that is registered to you, it will come up when the officer runs your info. I personally, inform the officer that I have a loaded firearm in the vehicle and ask how the officer wants to proceed with the rest of the traffic stop. This gives the officer a sense of safety and as a side benefit, the stop often goes better and has resulted in my being let go with a warning.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 31

You might want to make sure that the officer can see your hands in "safe" position/place (ex. steering wheel, approximately 10 and 2 o'clock, respectively) as you inform them. Visual can go a long way towards reassuring the officer.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ
You may get a different point of view from someone else. If you have a weapon, especially a loaded weapon in the vehicle with you and you get pulled over, I would inform the officer when he approaches the vehicle. You are not required to in this state but in my opinion it is better to inform the officer for the safety of all involved. If you do get your CCW and are driving a car that is registered to you, it will come up when the officer runs your info. I personally, inform the officer that I have a loaded firearm in the vehicle and ask how the officer wants to proceed with the rest of the traffic stop. This gives the officer a sense of safety and as a side benefit, the stop often goes better and has resulted in my being let go with a warning.
I agree 100% with your thoughts.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #7

Liked 200 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 27

The law states that if you are involved in a lawful contact and you are carrying a firearm, you must inform the officer if he asks you.

Quote:
13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions
A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:
1. Carrying a deadly weapon except a pocket knife concealed on his person or within his immediate control in or on a means of transportation:
(a) In the furtherance of a serious offense as defined in section 13-706, a violent crime as defined in section 13-901.03 or any other felony offense; or
(b) When contacted by a law enforcement officer and failing to accurately answer the officer if the officer asks whether the person is carrying a concealed deadly weapon; or...
Also,

Quote:
K. If a law enforcement officer contacts a person who is in possession of a firearm, the law enforcement officer may take temporary custody of the firearm for the duration of that contact.
Now the law goes on to say,

Quote:
M. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Contacted by a law enforcement officer" means a lawful traffic or criminal investigation, arrest or detention or an investigatory stop by a law enforcement officer that is based on reasonable suspicion that an offense has been or is about to be committed.
This means that to answer your question, under the assumptions you are A) not a prohibited possessor, and B), are over 21, yes, you are legal. If you are under 21, no, you cannot play it that way, different rules for the 18-21 crowd.

All this info is here, http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03102.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

incidentally, loaded or unloaded means nothing to carrying a firearm in Arizona. You may indeed carry your rifle loaded and concealed in your vehicle, or on your person, (can be done, did it to prove a point once), without a CCW permit. The only caveat is the 1000 foot school rule, under which you are not covered by if you are carrying Constitutional Carry, but you are covered if you have an AZ CCW permit. AZ Gun Owners Guide would be an excellent book for you to read.

Last edited by armoredman; 03-28-2013 at 05:17 AM.
HsHrt101 Likes This 
Old 03-31-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3193 Times on 2173 Posts
Likes Given: 696

Where is this Book available? ( newer(less then 2 yrs) Az resident- Still learning)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 03-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
Where is this Book available? ( newer(less then 2 yrs) Az resident- Still learning)

I would think you could "google" AZ CWP regulations and requirements and find the desired information. Welcome to the Grand Canyon state!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

I go by the "3 action" rule I've been taught. Basically, when driving w/ a firearm, there has to be at least 3 steps until you have the firearm in hand, locked & loaded. For instance: I keep my defense gun in a holster, in my closed console when driving (1: open console, 2: unsnap holster, 3: draw gun). Others opt to play it even safer by just keeping it in the trunk. However, having the gun on your person while driving is a felony unless you have a CCW. Still, I know many people who are much more lax about it all & have never run into trouble.

One thing I recommend to everybody is this: if you're pulled over, don't wait for the officer to ask if you have a firearm(s), just calmly say "officer, I should inform you that I am armed. How would you like me to proceed?". This is ESPECIALLY true if you have a CCW permit, because when they run your license & registration, it will show up & the officer will wonder why you didn't tell them. Basically, it's not just a matter of respect, but it will put the officer at ease which is going to make it go a lot smoother for you.