Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Events and Meetups > State Forums > Alaska Gun Forum > Nonformal shooting areas--Mat-Su valley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Nonformal shooting areas--Mat-Su valley

Since the closure of the Nike site (can't blame anyone but those that trashed it), who would like to disclose their favorite plinking/target practice area?

The Parker Mesa area and the Knik Nike site are no longer available, any others nearby?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #2

i know you don't really expect me to post top secret information on here. if you pm me and say pretty pretty please i might get back with an idea or 2 tho. ps: what do you shoot?

Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I too would appreciate any ideas on a place to go bust a few caps. I used to go to the old Houston dump on Zero Lake road, but thanks to idiots leaving mounds of trash it's been shut down.
ps pretty pretty please.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #4

you guys are killin me. ok freefall. i will try to pm you. if i screw it up pm me and i will respomd back. just a hint, if you are up by houston i am on the other side of the valley

Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #5

Are there really only 4 people from Alaska on the forums?

I just moved to the rural Big Lake area. Only recently got into shooting. I'm a total noob and I would love to learn more.

I don't have any guns but the Remington shotgun I borrowed from my cousin in anchorage for personal defense. I still haven't had to shoot it.

Would you folks be interested in a meet-up?

Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #6

Howdy alaskans I'm mostly an observer I just want to learn. Figured I'd just listen to you all who know more than me. I have loved guns since I was young but I'm no expert. Started going to the shooting range recently out if sheer desperation for a place to shoot. I was used to just going up the back road behind my house like I did when I was a kid but I'm new to alaska and thought id try out the gun club. It's different but at least I get to shoot. Anyone ever been to the disabled american veterans gun show? So I guess there's five of us?

Last edited by Leciarn; 05-24-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #7

Hey there! Welcome to the Forum and Welcome to Alaska...although I don't know how those who are originally from Alaska would feel about us invaders. LoL

I only recently moved to Alaska, but I've met some great people. I'm originally from the Aloha state, but I have to say, the people that I have met often have more Aloha than the people from home.

However, I have also seen that people here, just like everywhere else I guess, hold their secrets close to the heart. I would've loved to meet with folks who have enough love of guns and initiative to talk intelligently on a forum about them. It just doesn't seem like they want to.

Anyway, where are you from and where did you move to bro?

Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #8

He he that's sis, not bro. Moved to anchorage two years ago from Utah. I've decided this shooting range is
ok it was a little weird at first I grew up plinking so the restrictions were a little hard to get used to. I haven't found anywhere else to shoot that I can get to in less than an hour. Hawaii to alaska huh? Bit of a climate change there. How long you been in AK?

Old 05-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #9

LoL. My apologies!! Excuse while I remove my foot from my mouth.

I got here the end of October 2011. Oh yes, huge difference in climate. Loved the winter (except for a few mishaps and challenges) now just need to see the summer. LoL.

I live in Big Lake. Waaaaay in the rural part of town. The guys here just go anywhere and practice. We've even just shot from our porches. LoL.

They're very knowledgable and great people.

I'm not sure what gun laws are like in Utah, but HI gun laws were highly restrictive. So, until we decided to move here, I'd never really had anything more than a passing interest.

Now, it's not only a necessity, but it's also a great field to pursue.

What got you into shooting?

Old 05-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #10

Ya I'm pretty familiar with the big lake area. Used to fly rotor for EMS up there in the valley until I blew my shoulder out on a mountain rescue. It's beautiful there, Gods country. You are brave though the winters there are cold windy and can be isolated. I'm enough of a city girl that I love anchorage. If I get tired if the rat race I just take a drive...