Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > WWII Tanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #31
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1355 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I think 7.62 was referring to the German armed forces as a whole, not an individual Tiger tank. Other blokes have pointed out that the Shermans won by their superior numbers and speed, certainly not one on one.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant...Not arguing that the Germans had the best tanks. But the U.S. produced some 88,816 tanks of all kinds during WW2--according to the numbers I've got. And not to mention that at various times we were pounding Germany's sources of oil, fuel and spare parts from the air...as well as the transportation networks that kept the Tigers and Panzers going. So...all things considered...we made the Nazi's our bitch.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 05-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #32

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One thing that worries me - I wonder if we aren't like the Germans in that we rely on expensive, difficult to produce, super-duper systems.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 05-17-2014, 03:03 AM   #33

Liked 239 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 12

GatorDude :
Our strategy is at times like that of the NAZIs . We occupy countries and are surprised at how hard it is to control a hostile population or portion thereof .

From the shows I've seen on The Military Channel, I'd conclude that the Tiger tank and other heavies had an effect all out of proportion to its numbers . They probably stopped or stalled countless allied advances long enough for German gunners to zero in 88s or for reinforcements to arrive .

I'm surprised to learn that the Pershings were even built during WWII . That fact shows that America tried to field a heavy tank .

Blitzkrieg cannot be pooh-poohed . It represented a new kind of warfare that overcame fixed fortifications, scattered tanks, troops without air cover etc. It filled the roads with refugees, kept its opponents off balance confused opposing generals about battlefield situations and used unprecedented coordination of land and air .

Old 05-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #34

Liked 902 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
Our strategy is at times like that of the NAZIs . We occupy countries and are surprised at how hard it is to control a hostile population or portion thereof .
It's probably only hard because we want to be PC and "nice" about it. Basically, we do it like a buncha pussies. IMHO, most of the time, we shouldn't be there in the 1st place.....

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.