Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Writing a book, need some info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJonathan View Post
Yep, I suspected as much, I figured that this kind of event would be incredibly unrealistic. I'm gonna go through with it anyway though, since the setting it results in is something I find interesting.
Do you remember the fabric used for the cape in the Batman Begins movie? It was made rigid by applying an electrical current and could be made to form a preset shape. Perhaps a combo of electrical current-powered stiffness and your new fabric would give you the armor you need. I don't know enough about body armor to say.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2141 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Another thing to consider is in an apocalyptic future, the ammo is going to run out sooner or later. I don't know how long after this apocalyptic event your story begins but eventually the ammo will be gone and most all guns will be rendered as fancy clubs. Black powder weapons on the other hand could be the rule of the day. It really depends on how much technology and civilization has been lost in your scenario. Do any factories still operate, is there still fuel production of any sort because without it there are no aircraft, trucks or other vehicles to move raw materials around etc.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #13

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
Another thing to consider is in an apocalyptic future, the ammo is going to run out sooner or later. I don't know how long after this apocalyptic event your story begins but eventually the ammo will be gone and most all guns will be rendered as fancy clubs. Black powder weapons on the other hand could be the rule of the day. It really depends on how much technology and civilization has been lost in your scenario. Do any factories still operate, is there still fuel production of any sort because without it there are no aircraft, trucks or other vehicles to move raw materials around etc.
As far as damage goes, the apocalypse in my story basically left no destruction, but 99% of humans, and 100% of all other animal species, instantly vanished.This apocalypse happens in the first chapter of the story.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I guess the humans that are left are gonna be vegetarians, or cannibals then Seriously, if that's the case then there is gonna be a lot of stuff lying around for them to use for years to come... Unless of course it was lost in the apocalypse somehow as well.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #15

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
I guess the humans that are left are gonna be vegetarians, or cannibals then
Thankfully that won't be a problem. The apocalypse had some rather interesting side-effects on the survivors

Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #16
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Cool, good luck with the book....

Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #17

Liked 694 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 224

in 1960 there was basically all the same guns as now except for the polymer framed guns. The ar15/m16 was just being tested and was given to troops in 1963

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #18

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Do you remember the fabric used for the cape in the Batman Begins movie? It was made rigid by applying an electrical current and could be made to form a preset shape. Perhaps a combo of electrical current-powered stiffness and your new fabric would give you the armor you need. I don't know enough about body armor to say.
Indeed, the right fabric and some electricity can invariably provide rigidity and stiffness.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:06 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8306 Times on 3589 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

MOST of the firearms you may know were in use by 1961- in many cases LONG before 1961. The AR15/M16 was being fielded, but please recall the AK47 is from 1947, the Tommy gun from the early 1920s, belt fed machinegun were common in WW 1, 1917. The .357 Magnum is from 1935.

I DO recall one very good "after the apocalypse" novel- premise was that for reasons never stated- explosives would not, internal combustion engine would not run, a steam engine would function until you loaded down the engine. However, things powered by people (bows and slings) worked just fine.

Recall a couple of sci-fi novels that the armor worn would go rigid on impact- BUT that did create HEAT inside the armor. Keep a steady stream of bullets hitting a man, he could not move, and would cook from the heat.

Assuming that the magic cape has been created that can resist any impact- how do you feel about flamethrowers? Even if the cape can block the heat- it consumes all of the oxygen.

Take a look at the tactics and edged weapons of one of the finest military units of it's time- the Roman Legions. They had swords (the gladius) the javelin, and a wicked lead weighted throwing dart (plumbat) that was a lot like a banned toy- Lawn Darts. Might be some food for thought there.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This is getting interesting.. When you finish the book, please make alot of copies, cause I wanna read it man!