Unique Weapon Re-build - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Unique Weapon Re-build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hand tools? That is impressive; i wonder if that 3D printer could make one out of plastic...doubtful.
This could be your ultimate bear killing weapon. With very little noise if it turns out to be subsonic.
NitroxAZ Likes This 
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Does the part look like it's something you can make if need be?
People Like This 
Old 10-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
Does the part look like it's something you can make if need be?
From what we have seen there is nothing I can not remake. However not reusing existing parts would severely reduce the future value of the weapon. I will file a little at a time and continue until I find the exact position required.
NitroxAZ Likes This 
Old 11-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #64

Default Sweet.

Took off the required filings cleaned, oiled and re-assembled and now cocks holds and fires every time. Put a smile on my face
img_0251.jpg   img_0253.jpg   img_0254.jpg   img_0255.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 11-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #65
Vag

Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Thats rather interesting air cane

Having read from the start I would like to point out that whoever quoted 6000 psi in an air cane does not have a clue what he is talking about!
Not only extremely dangerous, but impossible to charge any Vintage air cane cylinder with that sort of pressure!
These are pumped up with a hand pump!
Around 2000 ft lb is about right, even then using a hand pump it would still take you many happy hours to do it! 1000 psi would have been more than adequate for several shots, of either a single ball in the internal rifled barrel, or bag of shot if you used the outer smoothbore barrel.
I have yet to find an air cane which dumps the lot on one shot, they have all been multi shot. Not much good going out to pot Sunday lunch if you miss the first time around!
I would be interested to hear what the valve seal is made of, they are usually made of Horn.
As you know compressed air leads to water inside air chambers whatever, and can rust inside, I dare say you already know this but use Silicone oil is far safer to stop this than using a standard engineering oil which can explode under certain conditions, or use Goose fat to keep things original
Nice to hear somebody else looking after our heritage admittedly not on the same side of the pond!
People Like This 
Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vag View Post
Having read from the start I would like to point out that whoever quoted 6000 psi in an air cane does not have a clue what he is talking about!
Not only extremely dangerous, but impossible to charge any Vintage air cane cylinder with that sort of pressure!
These are pumped up with a hand pump!
Around 2000 ft lb is about right, even then using a hand pump it would still take you many happy hours to do it! 1000 psi would have been more than adequate for several shots, of either a single ball in the internal rifled barrel, or bag of shot if you used the outer smoothbore barrel.
I have yet to find an air cane which dumps the lot on one shot, they have all been multi shot. Not much good going out to pot Sunday lunch if you miss the first time around!
I would be interested to hear what the valve seal is made of, they are usually made of Horn.
As you know compressed air leads to water inside air chambers whatever, and can rust inside, I dare say you already know this but use Silicone oil is far safer to stop this than using a standard engineering oil which can explode under certain conditions, or use Goose fat to keep things original
Nice to hear somebody else looking after our heritage admittedly not on the same side of the pond!
Thanks for the info VAG. Do you have much experience working with air canes
People Like This 
Old 11-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #67
Vag

Liked 36 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well it was due to somebody here that put a link to my site that led me here, my website is Vintageairguns.co.uk you can see in the Library some of the Air canes that i have owned, repaired, and sold.
I am hoping to make a few contacts in the states in regard to buying Antique obsolete caliber pistols and revolvers, especially small oddities, like Palm pistols. and derringers, and are not worried about shipping to the UK.
NitroxAZ Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #68

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vag
Well it was due to somebody here that put a link to my site that led me here, my website is Vintageairguns.co.uk you can see in the Library some of the Air canes that i have owned, repaired, and sold.
I am hoping to make a few contacts in the states in regard to buying Antique obsolete caliber pistols and revolvers, especially small oddities, like Palm pistols. and derringers, and are not worried about shipping to the UK.
Nice username Vintage Air Guns! You seem to know a little about these, does this one appear to have a specific make & model?
People Like This 
Old 11-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #69

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vag View Post
Welcome to the forum. I hope you can provide Davyboy some insight as this little project of his would be a first for us here and we are all excited for him to be successful

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD
People Like This 
Old 11-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #70

Although I am confident I can finish the build I would obviously welcome any expert advice.
People Like This