Open Minded Thoughts - Page 13
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History >

Open Minded Thoughts

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #121
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1769 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

George Zimmerman screwed up. He lost track of his surroundings and allowed himself to be ambushed.
People Like This 
Old 07-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #122
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4002 Times on 2057 Posts
Likes Given: 493

[QUOTE=MisterMcCool;1304139]You cannot just attack someone because you think he might attack you first. QUOTE]

Not true at all. If you have good reason to believe someone is about to attack you, you CAN (and should) prevent that attack perhaps by mounting an attack of your own. If someone dobles up his fist, draws it back and is clearly about to throw a punch, of course you can strike first. Fighting back is a good way to LOSE!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #123
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1769 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

[quote=robocop10mm;1311455]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
You cannot just attack someone because you think he might attack you first. QUOTE]

Not true at all. If you have good reason to believe someone is about to attack you, you CAN (and should) prevent that attack perhaps by mounting an attack of your own. If someone dobles up his fist, draws it back and is clearly about to throw a punch, of course you can strike first. Fighting back is a good way to LOSE!
In the context of Zimmerman/Martin, what you are saying means Martin may have been correct in jumping Zimmerman. Knowing the eventual outcome I have to say it was the wrong thing to do, especially since Martin had plenty of opportunity to retreat if he thought an attack was coming. In a way, Martin practiced SYG and it got him dead.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #124

Liked 1338 Times on 896 Posts
Likes Given: 860

OP, you're funny. You willingly post on a super controversial and hot-button topic, and then don't want and negative comments? LOL. I can't comment much on this one, because I have not really been keeping up on the story. I will ask this; Isn't Zimmerman hispanic? If so, how is this a black & white issue? White people have nothing to do with it.
People Like This 
Old 07-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #125

Liked 3627 Times on 2070 Posts
Likes Given: 2525

Zimmerman is white! He's the same percentage of white as BHO, our white president.
People Like This 
Old 07-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #126

Quote:
Zimmerman is white! He's the same percentage of white as BHO, our white president.
What do you mean? I'd call O'Bama black. Or Irish. LOL. It did occur to me after I wrote that post that Zimmerman doesn't sound at all like a hispanic name.....Jewish maybe......

Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #127
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22392 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
What do you mean? I'd call O'Bama black. Or Irish. LOL. It did occur to me after I wrote that post that Zimmerman doesn't sound at all like a hispanic name.....Jewish maybe......
his mother is Peruvian and his father is Jewish.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #128

Ummmm, so what, then? 1/2 white? Odd combination......

Old 07-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #129
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Just wanted to point this out because it's something that irks me. Not all rednecks are racist or stupid. That is a stereotype, and is wrong. That's exactly like saying that all blacks are gang bangers, all Mexicans are illegal immigrants, all Asians are short, and all gun owners are nuts.

Now, back on topic.

Did Zimmerman break any laws?

Profiling is not a crime

Getting out of your truck is not a crime.

following someone to ask them a question is not a crime.

Did Martin break any laws?

Walking on private property without the owners consent is considered trespassing, and is a crime.

Attacking someone is a crime.

Beating someone's head on the pavement is definitely a crime, and is possibly attempted murder.

----------------------------------------

Both of these men made mistakes. Zimmerman should not have gotten out of the truck, and Martin should not have attacked Zimmerman. Only one of these two men committed a crime, and now he is dead.
TW, that was not a general statement. I was referring specifically to the two men Roc worked with that profiled him and his friend as drug dealers while they were working low-paying jobs. It was not my intention to make a generalized statement about any group.

My best friend is a self-proclaimed redneck. He wears cowboy boots and hat constantly, drives a flatbed truck and is insanely polite to everyone he meets. He was also thought to be stupid because his Dyslexia went un-diagnosed until he was a Senior in High School. His proudest moment was when he looked at me after counseling for his condition and said, "I just read a full novel, 300 pages and no pictures!!!"

His perceived "stupidity" was actually a learning disability, so I would never make such a bigoted statement as "Rednecks are Stoopid!" My apologies if it came out that way.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
People Like This 
Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #130
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8287 Times on 4260 Posts
Likes Given: 9557

Redneck has a more regional definition than general. Around here (upstate NY), its someone with short hair that lives in the boonies.

Wiki says a Redneck is a derogatory slang term used in reference to poor, uneducated white farmers, especially from the southern United States.[1][2] It is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).[4][5][6]

By the 2000s, the term had expanded in meaning to refer to bigoted, loutish reactionaries who are opposed to modern ways,[7] and has often been used to attack white Southern conservatives. The term is used broadly to degrade working class and rural whites that are perceived by urban progressives to be insufficiently liberal.[8] At the same time, some Southern whites have reclaimed the word, using it with pride and defiance as a self-identifier.[9

Ive considered myself a Redneck most of my life but I dont associate it with any racist overtones. I will say, Ive known only a couple American African Rednecks in my life but most AA's dont live in the boonies either.

Its worthy of noting that so called Minority groups do more to keep racism alive than the few scattered bigots that actually exude racism! Our first American African President isnt only AA but you wouldnt know that by listening to him. He's Half Caucasian yet I dont recall him ever Identifying himself as such. His life story is a fable, if he really wanted folks to learn from his actual life, he might actually fill in the blanks between "I was Born a poor Black Child" and "Looky here, I'm POTUS"!

By all the little pieces that I can put together, he was spawned out of wedlock before abortion was available, deserted by his Dad (African), Abandoned by his Tramp Mom (Caucasian Hippy) and left to her Parents to raise. WTF Heritage and Culture is he trying to emulate and pass on to other AA's? He's a mirage not a mentor, a facsimile amalgamation of Voter Demographics not a real human.

Anyone silly enough to buy into his "black like me" presentation melodrama BS hasnt been using their other senses very well! He is an American that has generally lived a very solid Middle to upper class existence since he was given away to his Grandparents like a puppy! He was raised in a well healed neighborhood in a state that really doesnt know what a Ghetto looks like, attended the finest schools, never had to worry about his future or his past and has never had to earn a paycheck from the real world to feed himself or his family.

Its so easy for him to carry the torch for those that didnt have his birthright especially when he never experienced their pain in his life to distract him from his dreams and aspirations. He lives and breaths off the pain and lousy existence he and his predecessors have rammed down their throats and called it candy! BHO is the man in the Bighouse; If he wants Skittles and Ice Tea, all he has to do is snap his fingers.

He's right when he says if he had a son, "he would look like TM" but right for the wrong reasons; With Gods blessing, his son would have two good arms and legs, all senses firing on all cylinders, a healthy brain and body and be born to a family that wants him in a country where he has the right to be free. Thats the American Dream that he should be fostering for everyone regardless of their skin pigmentation not making up stories about a life he knows nothing about.

He is the great Divider, all things he speaks of are "Us and Them", all his values and aspirations demand the lowering of life expectations for all that have achieved (except him and his friends) not lifting up those that have not yet achieved.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Closed Thread