Open Minded Thoughts - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Open Minded Thoughts

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #111
Table of Warriors Placeholder
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6822 Times on 3725 Posts
Likes Given: 13454

If someone was beating you, would you be justified in shooting?
Regardless of the decisions and actions leading to the altercation, it comes down to this question.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #112
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown_General_Roc View Post
Well as far as the phones go we wasn't nearby them they was on the bench we was standing by the sidelines of the court watching them play.

As far as the profiling go I know it's not just between different race the guy who I guess didn't trust us and grabbed the phones was a black male.

We ask them to game up I love competition don't matter what race you are basketball is basketball. I won't lie I perfer playing with out of the neighborhood ballers they have more fundamentals and better skills. If I just wanted to play a games against my friends we could have stayed in the neighborhood for that
From your responses, Roc, you sound like someone who is well-balanced and accepting. You also sound like you are intelligent and strong. While you may have been profiled, and in some occasions it may have been because you were black, you actually sound like someone who is rising above it.

Quote:
As far as that go racial anything tends to not hurt me I have a decent personality so I just take it as a joke most the time
We have a saying here on the boards, "You can't fix stupid." With all of the education and mass media on racial equality, those who choose to judge you only for being black probably can't be fixed. Given enough time, they will all die out. The best thing you can do is laugh at them for their stupidity. Live your life proud not to be one of them and not profiling others.

Quote:
I'm so what of a pretty high jumper so when ever you're ready we can game up :-)
I actually thought that the movie "White Men Can't Jump" was written about me! You've got mad skills that could kick my azz. But I hope to see you play at some point.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #113
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21359 Times on 12124 Posts
Likes Given: 53235

i make no apologies for who i am now or ever. i just don't feel the need to justify or offer explainations as to who i am. i am, who i am. nothing more and nothing less. i am a product of the environment and the rearing that was provided me. i have never lived a privilaged life, nor have i been neglected by my parents.

my upbringing in regards to minority races was more of differential treatment rather than hate or fear. i didn't hate or fear them, didn't look down or up to them either, just that they were different than we were. what i did learn was, that i hated or dispised lazy, shiftless and ignorant people who thought they were owed something in life without having to work for it, irregardless of skin color, race, sex or what religion they claimed. i am more prejudiced against a person's actions and attitudes rather than what race they are. if a person is lazy and no good, then i have no use for them, and i have little regard to what race they descend from.

the main whole of myself is that i descend from German and Irish blood, with some Native American Indian and some Spanish heritage as well. i try and treat people as individuals rather than a race or group. i try and treat people equally and with respect and expect the same.

sometimes i tend to be rather blunt and call things the way i see them, sometimes even hurting feelings or ruffling feathers in the process. it's not my intention to hurt others, but i sometimes lack the ability to sugarcoat things and would rather be blunt and honest, rather than wishy washy and trying to spare feelings. i have much more respect for those who do the same than i do for those who don't. i have a lot of respect for candor, than for those who sugarcoat things. i will add this for some to think about. many years ago, when a company i worked for was changing some policies and procedures, and as lead technician on our shift, i was asked by the shop manager to address our shift and to tell them how great these changes were going to be. i looked at him and asked him, if he wanted me to tell them the truth and my true feelings or tell them what management wanted them to hear? i have told many in the past, that if you can't handle the answers i may have to give, then don't ask for my opinion. they may not be exactly what you expect from me.

People Like This 
Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #114

Liked 128 Times on 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post

From your responses, Roc, you sound like someone who is well-balanced and accepting. You also sound like you are intelligent and strong. While you may have been profiled, and in some occasions it may have been because you were black, you actually sound like someone who is rising above it.

We have a saying here on the boards, "You can't fix stupid." With all of the education and mass media on racial equality, those who choose to judge you only for being black probably can't be fixed. Given enough time, they will all die out. The best thing you can do is laugh at them for their stupidity. Live your life proud not to be one of them and not profiling others.

I actually thought that the movie "White Men Can't Jump" was written about me! You've got mad skills that could kick my azz. But I hope to see you play at some point.
Maybe one I will ahow you how I do with a basketball. By the way thanks for the compliment I just call it growing up and learning you can't pleas everyone

Old 07-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #115
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

The question I have never seen an answer to:

If it was a dark and rainy night, how could Zimmerman tell whether or not Martin was black?

A "dark skinned person" could be Pakistani, Arab, Indian, American Indian, Hispanic, or even a white fisherman that spent his days out in the hot Florida sun.

"In my opinion," Zimmerman used poor judgment, but committed no crime.

Martin used poor judgment, and did commit a crime by assaulting Zimmerman.

If another man breaks my nose, and bangs my head on the pavement, I will shoot or stab him.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by locutus; 07-17-2013 at 03:28 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #116

Liked 2117 Times on 1249 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
If someone was beating you, would you be justified in shooting?
Regardless of the decisions and actions leading to the altercation, it comes down to this question.
Sometimes, yes, sometimes, no. Is a really big guy sitting on my chest with a pipe in his hand or beating my head on the concrete with enough force to cause a brain bleed?

Is it a group of people who have me down on the ground kicking me in the head, after I'm down?

Am I a soccer referee who gets punched by a kid on a soccer field and gets a brain bleed, and die several hours later?

I'd say yes in the first two, and no in the third case, because of intent, or a reasonable fear for my life. People have died in all three scenarios.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #117
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Yes, it was. Now I'm going to do some more. The guys saying that are uneducated ignorant rednecks. I say this as a best friend to one of the same. They're uneducated because they can't figure out someone selling $3,000 worth of drugs a week doesn't work for $8/hr! And if you told them that you'd be fully justified.

There are millions of hard-working, bill paying blacks. And whites. And Mexicans. Most of America falls into that blue-collar category. None of them deserve to be judged simply by their color. But that includes everyone, black, white or otherwise.

It doesn't end until we all stop doing it together.
Just wanted to point this out because it's something that irks me. Not all rednecks are racist or stupid. That is a stereotype, and is wrong. That's exactly like saying that all blacks are gang bangers, all Mexicans are illegal immigrants, all Asians are short, and all gun owners are nuts.

Now, back on topic.

Did Zimmerman break any laws?

Profiling is not a crime

Getting out of your truck is not a crime.

following someone to ask them a question is not a crime.

Did Martin break any laws?

Walking on private property without the owners consent is considered trespassing, and is a crime.

Attacking someone is a crime.

Beating someone's head on the pavement is definitely a crime, and is possibly attempted murder.

----------------------------------------

Both of these men made mistakes. Zimmerman should not have gotten out of the truck, and Martin should not have attacked Zimmerman. Only one of these two men committed a crime, and now he is dead.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #118
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21359 Times on 12124 Posts
Likes Given: 53235

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Just wanted to point this out because it's something that irks me. Not all rednecks are racist or stupid. That is a stereotype, and is wrong. That's exactly like saying that all blacks are gang bangers, all Mexicans are illegal immigrants, all Asians are short, and all gun owners are nuts.

Now, back on topic.

Did Zimmerman break any laws?

Profiling is not a crime

Getting out of your truck is not a crime.

following someone to ask them a question is not a crime.

Did Martin break any laws?

Walking on private property without the owners consent is considered trespassing, and is a crime.

Attacking someone is a crime.

Beating someone's head on the pavement is definitely a crime, and is possibly attempted murder.

----------------------------------------

Both of these men made mistakes. Zimmerman should not have gotten out of the truck, and Martin should not have attacked Zimmerman. Only one of these two men committed a crime, and now he is dead.
in any group or race of people there is always a small percentile that give the others a bad name. some people are narrow-minded and bigoted and tend to focus on the smaller percentile rather than the larger group.

sometimes we are guilty of grouping people by their associations. my father had a saying, hanging out with thieves didn't make you a thief, but many people would think you were because of the company that you kept. because of this advice, i tend to pay careful attention to who my friends are and the people i associate with. i also believe i have no choice who my family is, but i can choose who i am friends with.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #119
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3074 Times on 2087 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

in any group or race of people there is always a small percentile that give the others a bad name. some people are narrow-minded and bigoted and tend to focus on the smaller percentile rather than the larger group.

sometimes we are guilty of grouping people by their associations. my father had a saying, hanging out with thieves didn't make you a thief, but many people would think you were because of the company that you kept. because of this advice, i tend to pay careful attention to who my friends are and the people i associate with. i also believe i have no choice who my family is, but i can choose who i am friends with.
It's also very hard to have a sensible dialogue about some issues when someone ignores some responders and answers who they choose. I think I have a sensible and honest take on the Situation. I taught Learning Disabled "at Risk" Teens for 14 of my 25+ years teaching H.S., and taught Undergrad College as well, many Topics outside of JrROTC & ROTC....
Part of the reason I retired a few years early was the Phone calls from Parents Thinking "Little Johnny" or "Little Janie" could not have possibly done Wrong......(which as an Asst. Dean I have to handle....)

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

People Like This 
Old 07-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #120

Liked 2453 Times on 1397 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
If you believe this guy might attack you first best way to defend yourself is to have an upper hand. Not saying Trayvon was right but Zimmerman could have avoided a situation by staying in his safe zone
Stay in your "safe zone" your entire life, OP.

You will neither feel the sting of defeat, nor the

ecstasy of victory, EVER.

GZ is of a fast vanishing breed of selfless volunteers, who gave

time and effort to his neighborhood community, so they could

all sleep safer in their beds. This sacrifice was rewarded with

his being crapped on by the Owe-bozo administration, and the

entire libturd media.

Surely, I hope the liberals of this world intend pay, and pay well,

for any and all services in the future. Because I foresee the well

of volunteers drying up, and caving in.

Oh, that's right, the liberals get the government to pay for everything.

So the conservatives lose again.

The two questions you should really be asking yourself, OP, are

WHY does no one whatsoever place credence in the original

Sanford PD investigation, and WHY is the potus spurring a race

war behind this event?

Last edited by therewolf; 07-20-2013 at 04:43 PM.
People Like This 
Closed Thread