Movie Firearm foul Ups - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Movie Firearm foul Ups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #91
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8454 Times on 4898 Posts
Likes Given: 11022

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
Back in the early 70's before there was a special movie unit in the PD I used to volunteer to be assigned to movie details when they filmed in the city. I seen several scenes being filmed where guns were being used and the magic of Hollywood disappeared. During a scene in "Across 110th Street" with Anthony Quinn being shot in Harlem they attempted to shoot out a window with a machine gun. What they used was an airgun that fired steel balls at windows made from sugar. At the same time they filmed a real machine gun, I believe a S&W M76 like my dept used at that time, being fired with blanks for effect. On film it was more impressive.

I recall in the movie Shamus with Burt Reynolds the director invited us into his AC trailer for some drinks on a very hot day and while there I asked him why so many errors are made where guns are concerned in the movies, since they do have advisers, especially as an example when six shooters fire a dozen times. He more or less told me that most of the public knows nothing about guns and the entertainment value is what sells the movie.

Mistakes of all kinds are made during the making of films and re shooting a scene can be extremely expensive and usually isn't worth it. Besides, they consider their audience dummies anyway and are happy as long as they pay for admission.
I think that the movie industry would be astonished to find out how wrong they are about that.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
DrFootball Likes This 
Old 03-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #92
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 499 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I think that the movie industry would be astonished to find out how wrong they are about that.
I used to think that, but when it comes to making money Hollywierd has it down to a science. The movies and the stars of today make me sick to my stomach, but even though they couldn't make a living from someone who thinks like myself and I know there are many like myself, they apparently have enough morons out there throwing their money at them and their lifestyle doesn't seem to be effected at all.

Let's face it, I've seen man in the street interviews where people didn't even know who the VP was, so how can we expect those supposedly over educated idiots who's brains were fried by too much education to know how much ammo a particular weapon holds, or that a 1911 won't fire unless the hammer is in the rear position. It's just more than their swollen brains can handle. To the movie industry pleasing those of us who know our guns is of no importance. They earn a living using guns, but despise guns along with their owners, which is us.

I would just like to add that I get nuts watching movies where shooters fire their weapons while holding them sideways. For those who didn't know it was Glenn Ford in a western that used that technique on film for the first time. James Stewart in Winchester '73 held his rifle sideways and then brought it up with a snap before firing. That made no sense at all. It was all done for effect, but Ford's method seemed to get picked up years later by the movie gang bangers, cause it looked cool. Those jerks do it in real life and I think that's why so many innocent people are getting shot. Maybe if we all tilted our heads to the side we'd see the world in a different light and we'd be as stupid as the rest of them.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #93
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 70 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Watching the episode of "Wild West Alaska" were Ken and Hans are out hunting Elk. Ken gets the elk in his sites and after a while he says that he can't do it so Hans makes the kill. Ken's lever action rifle was never cocked, the hammer was down all the time. Not very accurate for a gun based show.

Last edited by Jimski; 03-11-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 03-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #94

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

AT-6 Texans were dressed up as Zeros in Tora Tora Tora .
Some kind of Cessna or something was used as a " Messerschmitt " in Von Ryan's Express .
On guns :
* Death Wish 1&2 People thrown backwards when shot or stopped instantly with a .32 .
* The Killers remake with Lee Marvin -Silenced revolvers .
* The Train : Submachinegun fires forever at end of movie .
* James bond counting shots in a gunfight : " That's a Smith & Wesson and you've had your six " .
* Swartzenegger firing MP-5s one-handed .Fictional Russian pistol in Red Heat : "Popybryn 9.2" .
* 3 Days of The Condor : Robert Redford places thumb under 1911 hammer and lowers it without the half-cock notch catching it .
* Eldorado : John Wayne decides his friend can't shoot after one or two test shots . Friend gets a sawed-off shotgun and sprays an entire wall at about 20 feet .
* Oliver Stone's JFK : Kevin Costner remarks that Oswald chose A ML Carcano, " The worst shoulder weapon ever..."

Full Metal Jacket : Gunny mis-states the distance Oswald fired from as well as the time it took Oswald to fire 3 shots . See Reclaiming History by Bugliosi, Case Closed by Posner( and the Warren Report online at archives.gov )

Last edited by Rentacop; 03-20-2014 at 03:50 AM.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:11 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
AT-6 Texans were dressed up as Zeros in Tora Tora Tora .
Some kind of Cessna or something was used as a " Messerschmitt " in Von Ryan's Express .
On guns :
* Death Wish 1&2 People thrown backwards when shot or stopped instantly with a .32 .
* The Killers remake with Lee Marvin -Silenced revolvers .
* The Train : Submachinegun fires forever at end of movie .
* James bond counting shots in a gunfight : " That's a Smith & Wesson and you've had your six " .
* Swartzenegger firing MP-5s one-handed .Fictional Russian pistol .
* 3 Days of The Condor : Robert Redford places thumb under 1911 hammer and lowers it without the half-cock notch catching it .
* Eldorado : John Wayne decides his friend can't shoot after one or two test shots . Friend gets a sawed-off shotgun and sprays an entire wall at about 20 feet .
* Oliver Stone's JFK : Kevin Costner remarks that Osward chose A ML Carcano, " The worst shoulder weapon ever..."

Full Metal Jacket : Gunny mis-states the distance Oswald fired from as well as the time it took Oswald to fire 3 shots . See Reclaiming History by Bugliosi, Case Closed by Posner( and the Warren Report online at archives.gov )
Never saw the movie but you sure they weren't Nagant revolvers? Silencers work on those because the cylinder moves forward to seal the cylinder gap found in nearly all other revolvers.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #96

Vikingdad-
The revolvers in question looked like Smith & Wessons in " The Killers " .

In one T.V. episode of " 77 Sunset Strip ", a young punk handles a pistol on display in Bailey's office . Efrem Zimbalist Jr. tell's him, " That's a German Luger " . The gun was actually a P38 .

I recall Broderick Crawford doing some amazing long range shooting with a snub-nosed .38 -...or was it a Nagant ???... on " Highway Patrol " ...or did Jerry Miculek star in that show ?

I read an article by Jan Liborel in which he wrote that Sergeant York was depicted in the movie using a battlefield pick-up Luger instead of a 1911 to stop the bayonet squad . ?????

On " The Rifleman ", Chuck Connors was able to fire his lever-action impossibly fast because a screw was installed to trip the trigger every time the action was operated .

I guess I can't count the way bullets bounced off of Superman ?

In " We were Soldiers ", Plumbley chooses to take a 1911 into battle instead of an M-16 ; unlikely and not in the book version .

Last edited by Rentacop; 03-20-2014 at 03:44 AM.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #97
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3269 Times on 2223 Posts
Likes Given: 707

Default Movie Firearm foul Ups

I won't even go into all the Mistakes in Black Hawk Down, since one of our own here was there, but I will say a few things about other Movies:

First: the Hunt for Red October: late in the Film, as the rescue sub "Mystic"( named after the Seaport and sub base in Mystic Ct.) was getting ready to un-Dock from the Dallas, Scott Glen as the Capt. Of the Dallas, tells "Jones" to hand him the "Extra "1911 Drawn out from the ships' weapons Magazine, hands Alex Baldwin the gun with the muzzle facing himsel instead of pointed downward....

More as I research the data banks...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 03-19-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:02 AM   #98

Raymond Burr's Perry Mason character had a habit of pointing evidence pistols at witnesses on the stand in court as he questioned them . I'm sure this was deliberate and put in by the producers to add intimidation effect .
In one Perry Mason episode, Mason points an evidence gun at a gun expert on the stand and the expert pushes the barrrel over to a safe direction !!!!!

Not really a "foul-up" but Dragnet portrayed gun enthusiasts as dangerous jerks ....

ChiPs, starring Erik Estrada, avoided these problems . The cops in ChiPs never drew their guns, preferring instead to point an accusing finger and order the perps to stop .

In " ElectraGlide In Blue ", Robert Blake's character, a cop named John Wintergreen, sneaks up and points his gun playfully at his partner . This is pretty far-fetched recklessness for police to engage in but that didn't stop one of the Dirty Harry movies from stealing the scene and recycling it with Clint Eastwood pointing a gun at his buddy .

An episode of the reality T.V. show, "Top Cops" included a showing of the footage of Ruby shooting Oswald . You clearly hear 3 shots on the Top Cops showing of the film but in real life, Ruby fired only one shot . They couldn't resist screwing with the film for dramatic effect . Ugh !

There's one idiotic movie in which a villian uses a T/C Contender in spite of its limited capacity . Eventually, that is his predictable undoing .

In another movie, Lee Van Cleef patiently assembles his black powder revolver each time he walks up and shoots someone . Idiotic !

Another western had some bad guy using a Broomhandle Mauser to great effect .

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" included a surreal Civil War scene in which the Union troops employed four massed Gatling guns against charging Confederates .

" Tom Selleck " starred in "Quigley Down Under", playing a crack rifle shot who says, " I never had any use for a handgun " . So Selleck allowed himself to be used in Hollywood's anti-gun propaganda . " I'm the NRA " my ass !

One of the newer Wyatt Earp movies ( Tombstone ? ) depicts Dodge City as peaceful due to Earp's gun ban . Finally, a case where gun laws stopped crime ! Surrrre !

In one Dirty Harry movie, Clint Eastwood hands a loaded gun to another cop on an indoor range firing line . In another, he stares down three armed robbers with his own .44 Magnum still holstered in a consealed shoulder holster . He draws to three drawn guns and wins handily even with the slow rate of fire from a hard-kicking Model 29 . A bit too campy ...

In Witness, copied from John Wayne's The Angel and The Bad Man, anti-gun actor Harrison Ford catches a little Amish boy examining the revolver Ford's cop character carries in the movie . Little Samuel is handling the gun safely enough but that doesn't stop Harrison Ford from snatching it away and exclaiming, " That's a loaded gun ! It is very dangerous ! "
Ford then unloads the gun and hands it back to Samuel, saying, " Now it's safe ".
No mention of the four rules of safety here . All Hollywood did here was condition people to be afraid of guns and to think unloaded guns are " safe " .

I remember seeing a western ( Nevada Smith ? ) in which our hero has polished up a rusty relic of a revolver he found and points it at a man . The man turns out to be an expert on guns, a gun dealer in fact . The would-be victim informs our hero that he knows the age of the gun and, " they don't even make ammunition for it anymore " .
Maybe Hollywood never heard of handloads . ( ?)

In " Joe ", starring Peter Boyle, Joe shows his friend his Tommy Gun, noting incorrectly, " You aren't supposed to have these ". And that movie came out way before the machinegun freeze !

The Pelican Brief was pure anti-gun propaganda disguised as entertainment . It would take too long to explain so I'll be, well, 'brief' .

And lest we forget the aircraft stuff, one episode of McHale's Navy has an AT-6 Texan shown with one of the crew on the PT Boat yelling, " That's a Jap Zero ! "

Last edited by Rentacop; 03-20-2014 at 03:32 AM.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:11 AM   #99
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Raymond Burr's Perry Mason character had a habit of pointing evidence pistols at witnesses on the stand in court as he questioned them . I'm sure this was deliberate and put in by the producers to add intimidation effect .
In one Perry Mason episode, Mason points an evidence gun at a gun expert on the stand and the expert pushes the barrrel over to a safe direction !!!!!

Not really a "foul-up" but Dragnet portrayed gun enthusiasts as dangerous jerks ....

ChiPs, starring Erik Estrada, avoided these problems . The cops in ChiPs never drew their guns, preferring instead to point an accusing finger and order the perps to stop .

In " ElectraGlide In Blue ", Robert Blake's character, a cop named John Wintergreen, sneaks up and points his gun playfully at his partener . This is pretty farfetched recklessness for police to engage in but that didn't stop one of the Dirty Harry movies from stealing the scene and recycling it with Clint Eastwood pointing a gun at his buddy .

An episode of the reality T.V. show, "Top Cops" included a showing of the footage of Ruby shooting Oswald . You clearly hear 3 shots on the Top Cops showing of the film but in real life, Ruby fired only one shot . They couldn't resist screwing with the film for dramatic effect . Ugh !

There's one idiotic movie in which a villian uses a T/C Contender in spite of its limited capacity . Eventually, that is his predictable undoing .

In another movie, Lee Van Cleef patiently assembles his black powder revolver each time he walks up and shoots someone . Idiotic !

Another western had some bad guy using a Broomhandle Mauser to great effect .

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" included a surreal Civil War scene in which the Union troops employed four massed Gatling guns against charging Confederates .

" Tom Selleck " starred in "Quigley Down Under", playing a crack rifle shot who says, " I never had any use for a handgun " . So Selleck allowed himself to be used in Hollywood's anti-gun propaganda . " I'm the NRA " my ass !

One of the newer Wyatt Earp movies ( Tombstone ? ) depicts Dodge City as peaceful due to Earp's gun ban . Finally, a case where gun laws stopped crime ! Surrrre !

In one Dirty Harry movie, Clint Eastwood hands a loaded gun to another cop on an indoor range firing line . In another, stares down three armed robbers with his own .44 Magnum still holstered in a consealed shoulder holster . He draws to three drawn guns and wins handily even with the slow rate of fire from a hard-kicking Model 29 . A bit too campy ...
with the exception of Tom Selleck and Quigley Down Under, i pretty have to agree. i don't see the message as being anti-gun as much more factual about the times. most people had rifles and shotguns, but not evryone had pistols.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:00 AM   #100

Does anybody here realize how rare flying examples of authentic Jap Zero's are since after they surrendered? Not enough exist to be used in movies from what I understand.

Quote: