Military history of your family? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Military history of your family?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 01:47 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

How about anyone else here? Any military members in your families? If so how many family members does it go back?

Spetsnaz for Life

Old 04-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #62

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovBlood
I'm not bull****ting anyone. You assume that everyone is telling a good story, why not take a mans word for it and walk away? Who are you to tell me I'm lying after the fact you have no idea who I am or what I have done?

Spetsnaz for Life
Thank you for proving my point. "You assume that everyone is telling a good story".

I just find it very funny when you "assume" people are talking about you when making a comment. You immediately get very defensive and start arguments with someone. Ive seen it happen in multiple threads with you.

I never once mentioned you and yet somehow I am "mocking" you and the gentleman who made the original post.
I simply made a comical comment with no intention of making fun of anyone.
Obviously you speak English very well but you do not understand what humor is.
Now excuse me, I have to answer the phone. My great grandfather Ben Franklin is calling me. (He invented electricity)

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 04-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #63

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovBlood View Post
How about anyone else here? Any military members in your families? If so how many family members does it go back?

Spetsnaz for Life
My family military history goes back to 1775 as far as I know, at least one member of the family was a Valley Forge and served under Gen. Washington. I don't have much information on him though, wish I did.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #64

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

This thread is meant for the memory and the respect of veterans, it's getting a little out of hand in my opinion.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #65

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

My apologies OP my family has been a military from the start, I'm very sure it started in the Russian Revolution.

Spetsnaz for Life

Old 04-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #66

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

My apologies UrbanNinja I do not understand your humor. I'm more familiar with sarcasm and the generic joke.

Spetsnaz for Life

Old 04-22-2012, 02:14 AM   #67

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My grandpa on my dad side was in the korean war he flew in a seaplane and and was the guner my great uncle was in world war 2 I think he was in the army my grandpa on my mom side was in vietnam I believe it had something to do with the artillery

Old 04-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #68

Liked 1615 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 359

My family does have a bit of a history of military service.

In the last few years, I have begun doing family history research. (It is an old guy thing) I was rather surprised to see the number of direct and near ancestors that served.

My folks came here around 1720, three brothers. Two of them were killed in the French and Indian wars. One of the brother's whole family, except one daughter were killed and scalped by Indians under the direction of French soldiers. The daughter was raised by the Indians, married to a chief and ended up inheriting a huge track of land in Up-State N.Y.

The next generation had one confirmed soldier that served in Washington's army, qualifying my daughter for the DAR.

I can find no evidence of service in the War of 1812, but one of my GGFs brothers were killed with Jackson's troops in Florida during the Seminole wars.

I had a heap of relatives that served in the Civil war, including one that was decapitated by a cannon ball at the battle of Malverin Hill. They served on the side that was fighting for State's rights. After the war a female ancestor was a major participant in getting the Stone Mountain monument built.

During the first World War my Grandmother's only brother was killed and buried in France just about a week before the end of the war.

My father was too old and a single parent with two children and did not serve in WWII, but several uncles did, most of them in the Marines, and two of them took Japanese metal to their graves. The last one died about a year ago. I can say with confidence he never bought anything "Made In Japan" his whole life. He hated the damn Japs, as he called them, until he died. A distant cousin was an aide to Patton.

We seemed to have skipped the Korean war. I served in the Navy during the Viet Nam war, but lived a comfortable life on-board ships in the Atlantic Ocean. The only action I saw was fighting with Marines in bars near the Naval bases. (which I always lost)

My younger brother served in the First Gulf War as a Company commander.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #69

My gramps was in the pacific for WWII, dad spent 7 years in Germany, post Vietnam. I did a year in Iraq, it's a family thing I guess.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #70
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My grandmother used to tell a story about her grandfather serving in a PA regiment at Gettysburg. My Uncle was on a naval ship at Pearl on Dec 7th. He was one of the sailors that participated in rescue operations after the attack. Every male in my family has served in the navy since WWII.