Military history of your family? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Military history of your family?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1912 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1263

My Grand Mother always told some tall tales about my Grand Father. But he was a very modest man. That is why I always thought she was lying. I knew that he was the Cheif of Security for Army Intellegence. I knew that was true because his badge was preserved in a cube of clear resin. He also talked about commanding Black troops in WWII. I know that he was a LT Col before he retired. He then returned to the Secret Service as a GS14. I always loved to listen to his stories about his service. He told the women in the family that he was in the attic of an american solder that was suspected of Espionage. My Grand Father was in counter intelegence. He told the women that he was in the attic when the soldiers wife came into the attic and that he made two men with him hide themselves in the trash in the attic because if she had found them the other men would have tried to kill her. But he told me that was not the truth. He told me that he was alone in the attic. He did not want the women in the family to know that he was actually alone. He told me that he would have had to kill the woman himself because it was a matter of national security. I always thought he was making some of this stuff up. But after he and my Grand Mother had died my mother was going through the estate and took a picture down from the wall. It was a picture of the White House. We looked at the back off it. It said that it was given to him at his retirement party. It was signed by a bunch of Congressmen, The Vice President, the Head of the CIA, and a bunch of people from the FBI. I now believe every word he said. I can't believe how little he bragged about himself. Just amazing.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #42

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know much of my grandfathers history in the military. I have always wanted to know more but he is very hesitant to speak about it. The only thing he ever told me was about what he did.

He joined the Army in 1941. Spent most of his years in Europe. He worked in communications.
I am not sure if I have this 100% correct, please correct me if anyone knows different (I'd really like more info about it anyway). He served in the 62nd(?) Line Construction division. Apparently his platoon came under attack setting up some sort of communications and a mine or grenade had exploded very close to him (Ive seen scars from shrapnel covering most of the left side of his body). 2 of his closest friends were killed instantly, while his best friend died a few minutes later next to him. My grandfather always tears up telling me that small amount and never wants to speak of anything else after.

Ive tried to find information on this Unit, but not much to be found. If anyone knows where I can find anything... please let me know. Or a good place to start my search would be helpful.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 04-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #43

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Baa Baa Black Sheep of the Family

My two Great Uncles stationed out of Pearl Harbor (one severely wounded) on Dec. 7th '41, by the way, were black sheep. Their Dad, one of my Great Grandfathers, was an artillery instructor at West Point and they "rebelled" with Naval careers!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #44

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

My 9th ggrandfather, born in 1764, served in the revolutionary war. i myself 18 1/2 years army (retired disabled)

Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #45

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My great great grandfather was a private in the 36th Alabama,
company F. He was wounded at the battle of Nashville, TN.
He recovered at home and returned to his unit where he fought
for 3 more years until he was again wounded at the battle of
Spanish Fort (Mobile). He was discharged from a POW camp in
Meridian, MS.

My father was in the Navy during WWII. He was wounded in
Calcutta, India during a German bombing attack. He spent
over a year in hospitals before he was discharged with a
metal plate in his head. He would never accept any
disability from the Navy. He always said the Navy didn't
owe him anything. However, he did have a military funeral
when he died.

I was wounded in Vietnam in 1968 by a sniper's bullet that hit me
in the right foot. I was never able to return to duty and was
discharged. I never claimed any disability either.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Last edited by trex1310; 04-10-2012 at 01:49 AM. Reason: add a sentence or 2

Old 04-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #46

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

in what status were you discharged trex since you were "unable" to go back

Old 04-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #47
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts

My father was a Naval Aviator WWII (SBD Driver).
My mom worked admin at Washington Navy Yard.
One uncle was a B-17 tail gunner 8th AAF.
Another uncle was Marine Combat Engineer (Iwo, Tarawa).
I was A6 Intruder B/N early 70's. Mostly flew HCM Trail (TRIM) in Southern Laos from Dixie Station. Sure do miss 'Po City...

Texas Damnit
2nd Place Medalist - SE Asia War Games (1971-72)

Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #48

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Great info in this thread!

My Great Grandfather, Eugene Lewis Laubacher fought in WWI, he was first generation of my family born IN the USA....his parents were fresh off the boat from the Fatherland changed spelling of the last name when he got back to LaubacKer

His son, Howard Eugene Laubacker, was a T5 in the Army in Korea, he drove ammo trucks for a weapons platoon...My dad just missed the draft in Vietnam and is deadset on making sure I never serve...

My Mother's dad, Frank Joseph Gould, also first generation born in USA, served as an Army T5 in Sicily and Italy in WWII

Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #49

Liked 710 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
Anyone here have any family members or relatives that served in the military during any historic WWII campaign?
My grandfather went through France with Patton and was wounded at Metz. I wish I had gotten to know him better, but he died when I was young. All that served have my utmost respect and heartfelt thanks, but these WWII are going so fast and are a true national treasure.
Sounds just like mine, 5th Armored, 81st Battalion, Co. D. He served under Patton, wounded at Champenard, France.

Died when i was about 8, Ancestry.com said he fought in the Philippines, I researched that unit for 2 months just to find out he came ashore at Normany, not even in the same hemisphere as they told me. I brought it up with my grandmother and she set the record straight.

His M5 Stuart tank was knocked out by a Panther on a early September morning on the outskirts of Champenard in 1944. He was hit by a sniper shortly thereafter, in his hip, he crawed into a foxhole and blacked out. Disabled him for life. They thought he was dead, but thankfully someone noticed otherwise.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #50

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

My great grandfather served in the Battle of Bryansk. He is a Russian tank Sergeant, he was later wounded and attempted to make the next revolutionary rifle for the Soviet military, although he was beaten his first time by Mr. Simonov he tried again and made the AK-47. His name is Mikhail Kalashnikov.

Spetsnaz for Life