Military history of your family? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History >

Military history of your family?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

We have a few in our family, from the Civil War to myself getting out a few years ago. The one on my mind tonight is the one that we are going to put in his grave tomorrow. My dads dad was a pilot in the p47s and p51s as well as a glider pilot in WWII. We got to know the fun stories, but never any combat stories. Not only did he serve his country, but he showed me to serve as well, and he was the one to get me into play'n with guns.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:14 AM   #32

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 450

My grandfathers were both in ww2, one a Marine spent most of his time in the Pacific I believe, the other drove landing craft. My great uncle was killed in Italy

Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #33

Liked 927 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 1037

My grandfather served and was wounded in Korea, but he died the year I was born, so I never got to hear any stories... Nobody in the family really cared about his service and his tales were lost and all his old gear was thrown away... It sucks, I like to collect old military stuff, and it would of been so cool to have what my Grandfather carried...

Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #34

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My Granddad (Dad's side) served in Europe in WWII in the Army. My other Grandad was a civilian POW in the Philipines when the Japs invaded, went on to join the Air Force and flew bombers over Korea and Vietnam. My Dad is still in the Air Force reserves after 20 years of active duty as a Medical Officer. 2 cousins in the AF, brother was in the Navy, and Im currently Army.
NRA Member

Old 03-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #35

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

My Father was in Europe during WWII and was one of the people stuck in the Bulge. He was in a combat engineer outfit for a while following pattens guys around building things then blowing them up later. He told me he also spent a little time in Japan at the end of the Pacific theater but didn't do a lot . He as a fireman then and most the time he said they sat there getting hammered drunk because the rice paper houses would be gone long before they could get there. He went to Korea too but didn't say much about it other than he lost a lot of friends there. It really took years to get most of the stories from him and he had to be about 2-3 sheets to the wind before he'd even say much about it.

The man got misty eyed every time he heard the National Anthem. And not once did I see him sitting when it played. He died before all this crap from the current administration. I'm kind of happy that he didn't have to see it. Those guys where/are the greatest generation though hands down.I can't imagine growing up in the Great Depression just to get to a young adult and go off to fight without a second though. He had a cousin that was listed 4F that hung himself because he couldn't serve. Can yo imagine anyone feeling that strong about to now? Not that I want to hear about anyone doing something like that but from what I've read that really wasn't all that uncommon back then. And how many of those old men and women from that era that when asked about he war would just say "We had a job to do...And we did it.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #36

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

We have a famous soldier in our family. James Caldwell (clergyman)

He was known for the phrase, “Give ‘em Watts, boys!” when he handed out hymn books when the wadding ran low for the artillery.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #37

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

two uncles in WWII, one in the south pacific he gave me a Japanese sword off an officer, after he died his wife sent me a watch, also from that officer, and a news paper article that explained how he got the sword and watch. MY dad volunteered for WWII and was 4f {unfit for military service} when Korea came along he was drafted, also an uncle served in Korea, both survived. I served during 1982-1988. I have a daughter that's been in for 8 years, 2 nephews ex army, {one served in the Sunni triangle in Iraq}, one nephew currently in AF. some relatives in civil war, some uncles in military around WWII but dont know branch or where stationed.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #38

My Dad flew C-47s In North Africa for the Army Courier Service (OSS). He met my Mom (WAC) in Cairo, they got married and lived together in Heliopolis. Mom was discharged in 1945 as a Staff Sergeant. My Dad returned to the United States in 1946 as a LTC.

Mike

Old 04-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 107 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 329

My great great granfather was a capt in the North Carolina 4th Calvary during the war of northern agression, had 2 uncles that never made it back from Normandy, had 3 uncles in Korea 1 navy on the USS Boxer, 1 in the Air Force , they both came back then 1 in the Army in Korea that didnt. had several cousins that made it through Nam. I was in National Guard right after Nam.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 107 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Also we are supposed to be related to James Butler Bonham who died in the Alamo.