Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Military history of your family?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 01:40 AM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My grandpa on my dad's side was in the marine corps from 1949 to 1953 I believe. He was in the VMF 214 and worked on corsairs. We have a panoramic picture with him and all the other guys in front of a couple corsairs. He never got sent to Korea though on account of too many dependents or something like that. He had 6 kids. He actually met my Grandma in the Marine Corps. I believe she got in/out at the same time as him. My grandpa on my mom's side was in the Marine Corps as well but I'm not sure when or how long. He did something with radio communications. I also have a step-grandpa who drove trucks in the Marine Corps in the 50's.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #172
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 507 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 2533

My Father served in WWII in the Marines as an ammo carrier, He was in the south Pacific. He was there when they attacked Saipan, and then Tinian Islands. He didn't talk a lot about what all happened, as I can understand, But he did tell me a couple of stories over the years. One was of a time he was visiting a buddy in his foxhole, then went back to his just before a Japanese Grenade was thrown into it, killing his friend. The other story was about how one evening him and several others were sitting around in a very wide circle talking, he left to go back to his foxhole, and not long after another Japanese grenade was thrown into the middle of the circle, killing a couple of marines and wounding several others. Yep, he was very fortunate while he was in the south pacific during WWII. Yet when he heard of the Japanese surrender he was on a shell and bullet ridden ship and he threw up his arms in joy, and caught his arm on a jagged opening and got a bad cut. To my knowledge that is the only physical wound he received during the war.
That's about all I know other than some other things like some of the ships he was on. That is because of one of my dads brothers that made a cd with pics and some info about some of it.

Last edited by Airborne1; 08-14-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #173

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I mentioned my dad and uncle in an earlier post but they are just two who served. I've had family serve in the military in every war since the revolution when I had ancestors serve under "Light horse Harry" Lee. My g-g-grandfather was killed during the Civil War (Colonel in N.C militia), great uncle was in Cuba during the Spanish-American War, grandfather in WWI, dad in WWII & Korea, brother in Vietnam, I retired from the navy in 1994 (Vietnam-1st Gulf war) and my oldest son retired from the navy in 2011.

Last edited by rachilders; 08-14-2013 at 02:37 AM.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #174
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2806 Times on 1930 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Dad's side first: great gramps served in the Austrian Army cavalry in the 1860's & 1870's before coming here. His sons, my Grampa Issac(Ike) an: his brother Jacob both served in WWI. Grampa humped a BAR across the Forrest's of France, and his brother was a Marine Sniper @ Beallu Wood. (Sp sorry) Dad's brothers, my uncles. Jack and Nat were both in the Navy in WW2. Jack was a P.O. And then a CPO on a PT boat. Nat was a SeaBee and did demo for half the Airfields in the Pacific. Dad being the youngest didn't serve until 1948 but did two yrs in the Korean as a Sgt.. On Long Tom 155 Howitzers. While in the reserves after Korea he became an MP and then a CID. As a civilian he was a Post Office policeman/Inspector. He also did Nam as a CID in 1965. He retired from the reserves in1984 as an SGM.-E9 lower. Mom's side. Her dad was in the Navy in WWI and the Army Natl guard until 1944. Other uncles all served. One army photo intel mapping, one Marine pilot in WW2 and Korea. Older cousins all served in Nam. One AF pilot never returned. His brother is now an Army 2 Star in the Spec ops command. Another cousin retired as AF chief of staff in 2011. I Left college in 1979 to become A Flight Warrant officer in the Army. Served active until late 1984 and active reserve until March 30th of 1991, totaling over 11 & 1/2 years.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #175
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 412 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 131

My father served in WWII. He was stationed on the Gold Coast of Africa. He saw some action but not too much. My Uncle Jake was part of the Normandy invasion and suffered leg injuries that got him sent home early. Both of my grandfathers served during WWI. My paternal grandfather was caught in a mustard gas attack and disabled him the rest of his life. My other grandfather fought for the Russians and after the war was in the White army. The political climate of Russian forced him to escape and come to the US where he reconnected with family in Memphis. They all did what they had to do. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 08-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #176

Liked 386 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

Well if you are limiting it to WW2...:

My family has served on both sides of the War and my Grandfather fell at Stalingrad and my uncle fell in China in US service.

but the furthest back I know of it a Lieutenant Palmer who is an ancestor who was the Deputy for Capt Smith at the militia at Plymouth rock colony (I kid you not!)

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 08-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #177

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Grandfather that served in the army air corp in WW II and for Air Force in Korea and Vietnam. Cousin and I served in Iraq.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #178

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

My great grandmother's uncle served in the Big Red One. He fought throughout Europe, Nothern Africa, and the Pacific. I've heard so many stories that it would take all night to type them. Needless to say, he's seen some pretty rough stuff and been through some serious combat.
He then served during the entirety of the Korean War.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #179

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

I have family who fought in wars long before WW2, we've traced back into the 18th century. And people serving in every war since. The military has had my family in it in all of its wars.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #180

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 49

My several-times great grandfather was a Private in the Continental Army. There was an uncle who was in WWI, as a Quaker he did not fight, he instead drove an ambulance in France.
Another uncle was in WWII, he died when I was a kid and I don't really know his story. A cousin died on Tarawa.
My Dad worked for Pratt & Whitney Aircraft and was ruled an essential war worker, he did not fight. He helped with the development and testing of the R-2800 engine which powered the F6F Hellcat and B-29 Super Fortress among other aircraft.
I enlisted in the Army in 1967 and volunteered for Vietnam in 1969. I was in Quang Tri Province with the 1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized).
I did my three and got out.

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill

Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, AMVETS, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division