Military history of your family? - Page 17
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Military history of your family?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #161
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 451 Times on 251 Posts

One grandfather served in the army in Europe during WW II, the other was actually at pearl when Japan attacked. One of my grandmothers was in the nurses corp during WW II (was the first woman from Mississippi to join) father served in the navy. Step son is now in the navy, and my son is hoping to attend the naval academy when he graduates high school (2015) I not the academy then ROTC.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #162

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

grandpa- survived battle of the bulge (purple heart and bronze star). other grandpa- machine gunner on top of a train in Korean war. I have many uncles from both sides in the Vietnam war. Cousin- US Army EOD. other cousin- marine (I think)

Old 05-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #163

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Both Grandfathers in WWII. The one still living (92 yrs young) was in Pearl Harbor, on the USS West Virginia that was sunk, was reassigned to a ship that saw battles in the Pacific theater, sunk again, waited in the ocean for hours before being picked up and serving on yet another vessel.

After all that, I'm lucky to exist. And so thankful for his service. Sad part is that I'm just now learning all of this - knew very little growing up.

Couple of my favorite uncles served in Vietnam, both injured but no severely limiting injuries.

I'm so thankful for them, and for all who've served. It's a lesson I wish I would've appreciated more when I was younger. So I try to make a point of showing it more now.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #164

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Had an uncle (I was named after him) who served with the Army Air Corps in Burma while my dad was a Marine and fought in the battle for Okinawa. He later served in Korea.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #165
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 942 Times on 562 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My grandfather served in the pacific in WWII and also in Korea. He was an artillery officer. He only ever told 1 war story that I know of and it was from Korea, It was a story of an Aussie officer calling in artillery fire on the force attacking his troops and how he must have been too slow because he never heard from that officer again. After he passed away one of my aunts came across a vet who heard her name and asked if she was related to him. This man then said "he saved my life and the lives of a lot of other men one day" but that was all he would say, and she could not get anything else out of him. We don't even know which war he saved those lives in or how he did it. He never said a word about anything like this.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #166
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Dad served in the Navy 1952-1956 (MM3 on the USS George Clymer APA-27), 4 uncles that served in WW2 (1 Army Air Corp, 3 in the Navy), a nephew currently serving in the Navy, a couple of distant relatives that served in one of the Indiana regiments during the Civil War.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 06-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #167

Liked 57 Times on 31 Posts

One grandpa was a transport pilot. Enlisted at the tail end of WWII and deployed to Japan during the occupation. The other grandpa was a green beret just after Korea ended, went to Panama in in the late 50s and apparently did some wetwork that he still won't talk about. I don't think any of my great grandparents did anything. My great-great grandpa on my dad's side fought in the Spanish-American War, was a Baldwin-Felts agent at Ludlow when they shot up a tent city full of strikers, was in Don Chafin's posse at the Battle of Blair Mountain, and was a union buster for Island Creek Coal Company. Either his dad or his grandpa fought in the Civil War in the 7th West Virginia Calvary. One of my first ancestors in America may have been an Indian fighter and militia man.

Here's a picture of my great-great grandpa.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #168

Liked 367 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Dad was too young to serve in WW2 but a couple of his brothers served in New Guinea and actually 1 of them had a pair of Jap binoculars that he "rescued" from a Jap machine gun nest. None of them ever said much about their active service and even dad couldn't get them to open up.

A mate of mine's dad served in New Guinea and was there when the Aussie Diggers towelled up the Jap landings at Milne Bay as he was a gunner on a Bren Gun and as the landing craft opened the doors they just laid into the Japs and cut them to pieces no mercy or quarter given and no prisoners apparently.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 08-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #169

Father was a Master Sargent in WW2 along the Burma Rd. His 3 sons - one a buck Sargent with the 1st Air Cav, VN, another a Seal, VN, me a buck Sargent in Korea. Sullivan Law kept me from VN or I might have added to the 3 Purple Hearts shared by my 2 brothers.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #170

Both of my grandfathers were in WWII. One was in the pacific (all I know) and one was in Europe and was wounded in the lead up to the bulge so was not in the main battle. Grandfather that served in Europe also went to Korea. My father was in the National Guard during Vietnam, and I was a selfish SOB and didn't serve. Neither of my Grandfathers talked about their service and the one that served in Europe I was told couldn't talk about it. I wish they would have, but I understood.