Military history of your family? - Page 16
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Military history of your family?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Well my great, great grandfather fought in Italy's army during World War One. I don't know what unit(s) he was in but I know he saw battle. Also, my father, who was a lieutenant in the Tenth Mountain Division in Fort Drum, was the first diabetic to go through Air Assault School and serve in a combat unit.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #152

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Father was a Marine and grandpa on my moms side was Air Force, he was in counter intelligence but that's all I know about his service.

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #153
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3184 Times on 1834 Posts
Likes Given: 2059

I have a great-great-great grandfather, Tomas Gray, that served in The Union Army, during the Civil War.

A great uncle, Earnesto George, who was a Marine Infantryman, in the South Pacific, during WWII. I know he landed on the beaches of Guadalcanal and other islands.

My father David A. George, was a captain in the U.S. Airforce and my brother David S. George, was an F-4 crewchief, in the U.S. Airforce.

My nephew Tyler J. George, is enlisting in the U.S. Navy, in April.

Proud as hell of each and every one of them!!

Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #154

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

My first cousin, Cicero Running Crane, is the first Blackfeet Native American to be an officer in the Marine Corps. He has been an officer for more than 6 years, he has been deployed to the middle east a couple times. He is one of the main reasons why I plan on signing up for the Marine Corps.

I have a cousin that is a Marine, he served as a sniper in the golf war. Don't.know much bout that..

My grandfather was an officer here on the reservation some years ago. The sidearm he was issued was a Colt .38 Special Officer's edition, now in the hands of my mother.

There are plenty other members of my family that have served in the armed service, some in WW2 and Vietnam. Never did get to meet them, just the grave stones give their name and ranks they served.

Also my Native ancestors have been known as fierce warriors. Running Crane was known to be fearless, killing many Crows in his lifetime, including 3 that have tried to ambush him as he was hunting. There was also a Running Crane that was once the peace chief of the Blackfeet.

My girlfriend's father is a Marine, and her uncles and auntie on her dad's side. I guess you can say they have high expectations of me.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #155

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Lets see...
Uncle in Sicily with 45th, still there,
Uncle with marines for 4 years in Pacific, made it home,
Stepfather who was at Bastogne with Patton, a cannon cocker, made it home,
A Step-uncle who was a merchant seaman on a LST at Normandy, made it home,
Yep, my family was there and damn proud of every one of them and the people with them.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #156

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Well lets see Reubin Ashley was a guard at Andersonville prison during the civil war
His grandfather fought during the American revolution
Have had Many Ashleys in the Army,navy and marines ever sincetoo many to list them all really

On my mom's side there are innumerable bramletts and pains (there was a pain who rode with Teddy roosevelt)

Old 04-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #157

My father served as a tracker in Vietnam, my grandfather was a veterinarian in Burma in WWII, his grandfather was a scout for Sam Houston and fought at San Jacinto, then became a Ranger.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #158

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

My grandmothers grandfather Mr.Pemberton (I think a LC) attacked Sumpters Fort to start the civil war. My Father was a pharmisist mate on lite carrier in south pacific and saw horrific things on deck. I flew (USAF) in Laos, and gulf of Tonkin in 68-69 with a great crew. Actually some of my great memories, and the sadist.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #159

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzac
Both of my grand fathers were in the 2nd Australian Imperial Force. The fought through Greece, Crete and North Africa before fighting the Japanese.
My dad's father Captain Walter Bass MC died in a Japanese POW camp. He was beheaded for hitting a young lieutenant.
I met the officer who executed him. He came to Australia and said that he was still haunted by his actions.
Don't mean to pry, but how did you handle the meeting? Not sure how I would feel? Did you forgive him or shun him? You don't have to answer!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #160
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1060 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 464

Not surprising, I suppose, but I have am a descendant of a Captain that died at the Alamo.

Both Grandfathers saw active service in WW 2.

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It