Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Military history of your family?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 306 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 6

forgot to mention it in my last post, since the guy isn't a blood relative, but the guy my grandma remarried 25 years ago was a radio operator in a B24. they were shot down over europe & he spent time in Stalag 17B.

when the war was coming to a close they were told the Russians were coming & they didn't like Americans, so the Germans were going to move them to another camp. they marched for days & woke up one morning in the forest to find the Germans had split. As they were tryin to figure out what to do next, Patton's army came through the trees & rescued them. it's weird to think the Krauts had marched them to their own army rather than leave them at the camp.

He said he was the most scared the first night with Patton's army because he ate so damn much he thought he was gonna die right there.

He had told me that during their march, they occaisonally met other prisoners being marched the opposite way (which he later found out were concentration camp prisoners) & would then here machine gun fire in the distance.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

rocshaman Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #142

Liked 3679 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I'm going through my dads stuff and my aunt is over (his sister). I asked her about my dads trumpet, it's very nice, silver... She tells me that my granddad landed on Utah Beach (not the initial invasion, he came a few days after the beach had been cleared). The US liberated a town in France, and after raising the American flag, they asked him to play taps, since he could play the trumpet very well. So that town in France for the first time ever, had an American flag raised over it, and heard taps for the first time, played by my granddad, and I'm looking at the trumpet now. I think that's pretty cool.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

CA357 Likes This 
Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #143

Liked 272 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

Very cool if you were to ask me !!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
Very cool if you were to ask me !!

My father served in Vietnam . He is a Marine . He doesn't talk much about anything that he seen, other than the woman . lol But he did tell me a story one time him and a buddy were sitting out on a small hill not much was going on and seen a farm down below with few cows or whatever they are over there and killed them all. My dads oldest brother was in WWll and was captured and was in Bataan Death March he survived and was on history channel for the Anniversary this past years where bunch of Vets went to Japan .

Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #145

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have researched family military records for many years. The modern computer has been a wonder in research. I just found my Grt. GF, of the Revolution fought under the "Swamp Fox" Gen. Francis Marion.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #146
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have three uncles who served in WWII. Two were Navy, one was on a minesweeper but I don't know where. The other one served in an engine room somewhere, but I never got any details. The third uncle was a navigator on B 24's or B 26's, I can never remember which.

My Dad was 4F and worked at the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

My brother served in the Army reserves in the mid fifties and I was Air Force from '67 to '71.

That's it. I know very little of my family's history. They were so closed mouthed that maybe the rest of them were in the mob.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 AM   #147

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

My dad was a pilot with the U. S. Army Air Corps. Flew missions out of England from '42 to '45. Lucky to have survived - pilots didn't live long in WWII. He flew into Berlin after the fall of Germany.
He never talked about it.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #148

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Great thread. I have researched family military records from the French & Indian War {Roberts Rangers} to my son who served in the Sand Box. These records are from about 1756-2001. There were no Generals or Majors one Capt. in the War of 1812. They were just soldiers for the cause.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #149

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Both of my grand fathers were in the 2nd Australian Imperial Force. The fought through Greece, Crete and North Africa before fighting the Japanese.
My dad's father Captain Walter Bass MC died in a Japanese POW camp. He was beheaded for hitting a young lieutenant.
I met the officer who executed him. He came to Australia and said that he was still haunted by his actions.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzac View Post
Both of my grand fathers were in the 2nd Australian Imperial Force. The fought through Greece, Crete and North Africa before fighting the Japanese.
My dad's father Captain Walter Bass MC died in a Japanese POW camp. He was beheaded for hitting a young lieutenant.
I met the officer who executed him. He came to Australia and said that he was still haunted by his actions.
Wow that's crazy. Very touching . Thanks to all Veterans who served and who serve.