Military history of your family? - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Military history of your family?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

my grandfather drove an armored half trak over the bodies of his friends on the beaches of normandy and pushed further inland than any other division and six months later captured fifty three german soldiers while on patrol with only four other friends. true story

Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #112
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

great uncle bud was in normandy with 29ID and great pappy schaffer was in the navy in the pacific, dad had a cousin in vietnam he died there though and i did OIF with 1st hbct 1st armored division

Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #113

Liked 386 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 4

One grandfather was in the U.S. Cavalry, took part in the 1916 Mexican Expedition. The other was in the Canadian Army, was wounded in France during WWI. My father was drafted at the tail end of WWII. Japan surrendered while he was in boot camp, spent his tour in post war Berlin. I was drafted in 1969, did a tour in Vietnam. My son is an Army Airborne Ranger. He's done four tours, three in Iraq, one in Afghanistan. So yeah, we've got some history.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #114

Started back in 1689 with William John Kerr and Cunningham's cavalry during the siege of London Derry William ended up as Col of the regiment for the battle of the boyne in 1690. So many of the family served in the regent it became known as Kerrs Dragoons
The next one of note is William Henry Kerr who in 1735 was commissioned as a cornet ( 2nd LT) in the 31st regiment of foot promoted to Capt in 1739 and transferred to the 1st regiment of Foot Guards fought at the battle of Fontency 1745 and was Aide-de-camp to the Duke of Cumberland, wounded during this battle he was made ADC to the King and and promoted to Col. In the same year he was transferred to Lord Mark Kerrs Dragoons and commanded the cavalry on the left wing of the Government forces at the Battle of Culloden in 1746, his younger brother Robert Kerr fought with the infantry and was the highest ranking casualty of the battle.
Since then family members have fought for the British Army in nearly every war from the war of American independence, when a certain family member and his regiment burnt the White House during the retreat from Washington, and on to modern times when my great grandfather and 5 of his brothers fought with the 8th Hussars and the Royal Dragoon Guards during WW1 ( 1914 - 1918 )my grand father and 6 of his brothers fought with the Royal Ulster Rifles during WW2, on D day they were the only regiment to have both Bns committed at the same time the 1st Bn going in over the beach and the 2nd parachuting in. My father served with the Royal Marines in Aden, Palistine, Cyprus and finished in the Falklands, his brother served on the Submarine HMS Conquer and he was the officer that sent the torpedo on its way to sink the Belgrano. My Father then served in the Ulster Defence Regiment During the little bit of civil unrest we had in Northern Ireland. My Mother also served in the UDR, she comes from a family line that has far to many members of the Royal Flying Corps and RAF. Me well I ended up in the Queens Royal Hussars, which traces its beginning back to Cunningham's cavalry regiment via the 8th Hussars. Most of my time has been spent rotating between Germany, and when we were still going at it, Northern Ireland ( the irony of getting an active service medal for working in your own country) Iraq 6 tours, 3 of which were back to back and 2 which only had a break of 30 days, and 2 tours of Afghanistan the last one cut short due to an unfortunate meeting with a large lump of He at the side of the road

The Government today announced that it will be changing the offical union jack emblem to a condom, this reflects more accurately the Governments political stance. Acondom allows for inflation, halts production, distroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of secuity while you're actually being screwed. Trooper 7687 11/01/2011

Old 11-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #115

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

My dad was in the Army during WWII, landed in the PI and laid on the beach for 3 days with malaria. He was on the way to Japan when they signed the papers. He told me after that happened they started pushing jeeps and everything else over the side of the ship. He was at T/Sgt in the Signal Corps.

I had an uncle that served in the Navy. Don't know much about what he did, but it was during WWII.

I served in the USAF as a firefighter from 78-82.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #116
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 680

well, i guess i forgot to join this thread. i'm not sure how many if any of my granddads, or great uncles served. have not been able to ask about them yet. but i do know this. i had 1 uncle in the navy, 1 cousin in the marines, 2 brothers in the marines, and 1 cousin in the army.

almost family. 1 friend in the airforce, 1 friend just went to boot for the army.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #117
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 518 Times on 316 Posts

My grandfather on my mothers side wanted to join the Marines during WW II but the told him no cause he had bad teeth, and a family.
My father joined the Air Force at 17 yr. old when it was still part of the Army. He served in Korea, Vietnam. He served 23 yrs.
My Uncle on my Fathers side was in the army.
My Uncle on my mothers side was in the Marines Served in Vietnam, he served 28 yrs. while he was in they made my grandad an honorary Marine.
I served in the army for 11 yrs.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

People Like This 
Old 11-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #118

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 69

M Grandpa was in Vietnam 1968-1969 US Army he was an APC Commander, both Great Grandpas were in WW2 one was in the USAAF I forget what he piloted but he was stationed in Poland, other one was in the US Navy he was at Pearl Harbor the day it was attacked he was on the USS Arizona, my Uncle was in the Gulf War US Marines.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #119
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

My Great Grandfather was in the Civil War, my Grandfather was in WWI at the battle of Bellaeu Woods, and my Dad was one of the first troops into Japan in WWII.
Three of my brothers were in Viet Nam,two of them in country during the Tet offensive.
I am very grateful that all of them came home safely from their wars.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #120

My fathers father was a B17 ball turret gunner shot down over Paris rescued by french resistance members and escaped to the allied lines..my moms dad served on the uss boise in the landing in scicily the same ship that brought McArther back in the pacific...mighty cruiser....uncle then served in the gulf 1 as well..