Military history of your family? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Military history of your family?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My grandfather was in the Army and served as an aircraft mechanic in WWI and it was in France! He did not like to talk about it.
My father was an Air Force chaplain in the Vietnam war, served in Takli Thailand, blessing the Thud flyers as they took off for North Vietnam bombing missions.
I served 20 years in AWACS in the Air Force. Desert Storm and other missions in the Middle East and Europe during the cold war.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #102

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneGuy View Post
Isn't trying to take out a tank with a BAR kind of like bringing a knife to a gun fight?
Not if you can get a lucky Round through an open hatch or viewport! Those .30-06 Rounds will ricochet all over the interior of that tank, and as close together as the crew has to sit, it'll most likely hit someone, or even possibly a Tank Shell.

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #103

One more: My uncle Dave was a Marine in the Pacific during WWII and invaded Iwo Jima. He's a great man.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:58 AM   #104

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My paternal grandfather fought in WWI but that's about the extent of my knowledge of his service.

My father was an AT gunner in the Army in WWII. He went in on D Day +3 and was in Europe for the rest of the war. He ended up marrying the sister of one of his buddies after the war.

My mother was a WAC during the war. She never went overseas, though.

I had three uncles who all served overseas (Army, Navy and Army Air Force) along with a cousin of my father (Army).

Unfortunately all the members of that generation of my family are gone now.

I have two older cousins who served in the Army in Vietnam (I just missed the draft for that war).

My younger brother served in the Air Force (active and reserve) and was in the Middle East for both Gulf Wars.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #105

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

My grandfather was in the Navy on the Lexington in WWII. My great uncle was in about the same time and was on the Little. Daddy joined the Air Force and served in Vietnam. Daddy's eldest brother was a Motor T driver during Korea in the Corps, and his son was a tanker in the Corps in the 80s, and my brother has been in the Corps for something like fourteen years.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #106

Likes Given: 13

Father currently serves in US navy as Master at arms and head of brigg on carrier bush. grandfater served in airforce saw no wartime, his brothers served in army, no service on their fathers part but grandfather had several cousins who fought in various wars and one who was william a howell the first helicopter pilot for the president and a highly recongnized pilot who was often assigned to units with issues/problems and often assigned with the task of creating new units

Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #107

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

My grandfather served in WW2, but I don't know what he did (Army), my dad is a retired Colonel from the Army. I am a merchant marine (not military, but we do support roles).

Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #108
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1361 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 3426

If I recall correctly, this is how it goes;
My Grand Father - WWI - U.S. Army Infantry
My Dad - Vietnam - U.S. Air Force
An Uncle - WWII - U.S. Army Transportation Corp
An Uncle - Vietnam - U.S. Air Force, Operation Iraqi Freedom - U.S. Army Reserves. He could not decide which branch that liked.
Me - Operation Desert Shield / Storm, Operation Iraqi Freedom / Enduring Freedom - U.S. Army - Quartermaster Corp
My Daughter - Enduring Freedom - U.S. Army Reserves - Combat Camera
My Son - Whatever they are calling the current operation - Afghanistan - U.S. Army - EOD
My Son - Just starting out - U.S Air Force.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
canebrake Likes This 
Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #109

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts

My fathers family is the only military members I know of in my family.

My father served in WWII with the 96th Bomber Group (B17s) in England.
He had two brothers that served in the navy on destroyers and one brother that served on mine sweeper.
His oldest brother was a T/Sgt in the 2nd Armored Division in the European Theater.
My three aunts, also from fathers family, served as well. Two were WACs and one was a WAVE.

All eight made it through the war without a scratch and all are gone now.

To carry on the tradition I served in the army starting with the 3rd Infantry Division and ending with the 1st Cavalry Division.

My niece served as a Nuke in the navy as well.

Today the hero's that kids look up to are either liberal celebrities or over paid sports stars. I always looked up to military hero's and never had look beyond my family.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #110

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

God i love this thread. The older i get the more i love the history of my roots.My great grandfather served in between the two wars. My gramps the man that mostly raised me says we had men with the grey coats.My gramps(papa) was in WW2 in the navy on a suply ship. My step grandfather was a navy man too ww2 he was in some of the big ones the invasion of Sipian,Guam,an Iwo Jima he got out in 1946. Some of his storys if you were lucky enough to hear them were hair raising and very real with tears in his eyes. My real father was in the air force during Vietnam(knuckle buster /mechanic). My step father was in the Marine corp in Germany during Vietnam. My self i served in the navy as well durning the first gulf war.

I hope my son hes now 6 will follow in the footsteps that came before him.

I have 3 flags on my wall my greatgrandfathers,grandfather,and my step fathers.

Just wana take a sec and thank each an every one of you that have served this nation,

Ive also got a couple nephues that are in the army now. They both get to wear cowboy hats go cav.One of witch has done 2 tours over there made it home safe both times thank god the other got one tour so far but hes gana reinlist so who knows.