Military history of your family? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Military history of your family?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I had 2 great uncles to fight in WW2 .One died on the USS Arizona and the other died on the Bataan death march .My step grandfather also fought in WW2 but he would never talk about it .I also had family members to fight in the Civil War,WW1,Korea,Veitnam and a very distant relative of General Crook of the American Indian war .I was a Sea Bee in the navy for almost 2 years untill i was medically discharged i went in right after the Gulf war .They were discharging people left and right back then .

" TO EACH HIS OWN "

Last edited by Riverg420; 08-13-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #92

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sure, my Dad was a WWII, infantryman. Served in Europe. Never really spoke about it.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #93
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Had two uncles that served, both in the Navy. My older uncle served in the Seabees during WWII in the Pacific Theater and saw a lot of action there. The Seabees basically went in with the Marines or shortly there after and were under fire a lot of the time. He served on Okinawa for sure and some other islands. I've contacted my cousin to find out more about his service there. He made a career out of the Navy and was in for 30 years. He contacted malaria and hepatitis while serving in the pacific and was in the hospital for awhile recovering from that. Not sure which battalion he served with, trying to find out that info.

The younger brother was a submariner and served on the USS Skate (SSN-578). This was the third commissioned nuclear sub and the second to reach the north pole under the polar ice cap. They were under the ice for 10 days that time. They were also the first to surface at the north pole and the first to make a trans-atlantic voyage completely submerged. He served for 20 years before retiring.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #94

Liked 129 Times on 82 Posts

My father was in the Navy. He was a Seabee as well. I know he was on a communications ship and an aircraft carrier early in his career.
My grandmother was in the Navy and part of the WAVES.
My grandfather was in the Army but never spoke about it. I remember the family was all gathered and were going to watch some war movie. He asked why he would want to watch that when he had lived it.
No one deserves more thanks and respect then our men and women in the military.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

I know there are a lot of vets here and was wondering if there is anywhere you can find an individuals service records from WWII. That show deployments and any other info like that.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #96

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
I know there are a lot of vets here and was wondering if there is anywhere you can find an individuals service records from WWII. That show deployments and any other info like that.
If you are a family member you can request the service record of an individual from the records branch of the service that person was in. But, most times these records are slim to non existant. I have gotten my own from the Army and it wasn't much.
However, if you know a specific unit (or ship), and wanted to see what that unit did I would suggest you start here -
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/index.php
And, sometimes you can get unit information from here -
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/
This is a site of serious collectors of all things military.
If you are looking for units in WWII I know of several forums devoted to that as well, and even a WWI site.
Let me know if you want links for those.

Last edited by ricepaddydaddy; 09-05-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #97

My dad arrived Normandy Omaha D-Day +6 and was captured 30 days later. When he went in, he was 6'3 235pounds, when liberated he weighed little over 100 pounds, he always said he was one of the lucky ones. We had Dad sit down and dictate his stories to tape, of his War time experience from the time he and my mother married, before the War, till he returned after the War. There are some 16 hours, My sisters and I reguard this as priceless.
My Uncle was a Corpsman in Navy on the beach at Okinawam and he will not talk about it.
My Grandfather, on mothers side, was in the Army in WWI. He was in France and Germany the entire war. I wish could have talked more with him about it. I have his burial Flag and his Dog Tag, that was Leather.

If you or your relatives were in the service, you need to have these experiences put on tape. So many Vets I know do not want to talk about it as it brings back bad memories, but it will mean so much to those that come after them. For us, its like Dad is still here. I was told the Smithsonian is trying to collect such information to be kept for all time.

Last edited by MLittle5; 09-08-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Misspelled words and gramer

Old 09-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #98

Default Taking out a Tank with a BAR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmidgets View Post
Both my great grandfathers were in WWII. One was an aviation photographer in Europe, and the other was an underwater demolitionist in the pacific. My great uncle was also in WWII as a BAR gunner, who fought at the battle of the buldge. He also has a purple heart cuz he got captured after he tried to take out a German tank with his bar. The tank shot at him and fortunately didn't kill him, but he caught some shrapnel, and developed frostbite. He escaped from the prison camp eventually when the Russians were running up Hitler's a#!. I can't wait until I follow in their footsteps and serve my country.
Isn't trying to take out a tank with a BAR kind of like bringing a knife to a gun fight?

Old 09-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #99

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My Dad loaded bombs on planes, first in England, then France, on to Holland, & he finally went to the Germany doing other things. Three of us have served including the first of us to come here from Yorkshire, England.

Joshua 1:9

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #100

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

My French Grandfather wasn't in the Military, per se, however, he was with the Maquis (French Resistance) throughout WW-II, disrupting German Supply Lines, blowing up Railroad Tracks, and all of the other hazards they were involved in during the War.

We recently honored him by adding a BRICK inscribed with his "Name" and "Maquis", on the sidewalk at the WW-II Museum in New Orleans.

As for me, I was in Desert Storm, and Retired from the Navy after 27 years.

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Last edited by Blackbeard1718; 09-10-2012 at 06:33 PM.