Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Military history of your family?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Default Military history of your family?

Anyone here have any family members or relatives that served in the military during any historic WWII campaign?
My grandfather went through France with Patton and was wounded at Metz. I wish I had gotten to know him better, but he died when I was young. All that served have my utmost respect and heartfelt thanks, but these WWII are going so fast and are a true national treasure.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #2

Liked 1664 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 2430

My Dad served in the US Navy during WWII. He was in the Pacific from the invasion of Guadalcanal until the war ended. All three of my Dads brothers served in the US Army; two in the European theater, the other in the Pacific. The uncle who served in the Pacific fought in New Guinea. One of my first cousins was captured by the Japanese at Corregidor: He survived. Another first cousin died at St Mere Eglise on D-Day.

Two uncles by marriage were present for the D-Day landing. One was in the second wave at Omaha Beach, the other was a Navy assault boat driver at Omaha Beach.

i remember attending the funerals of numerous military guys who were killed during WWII. There was a big cemetery near our rural home in WV and it seemed there was a funeral nearly every week.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #3

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

My moms step dad was in Normandy, said he was a landing craft pilot, (not sure of the official term). He lived through the war and died when i was 12.

I also had a great great grandfather that was a medic in WWI. I was told he was hit in the hand while holding an iv bottle for a wounded soldier and later died from infection.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 AM   #4

Both my great grandfathers were in WWII. One was an aviation photographer in Europe, and the other was an underwater demolitionist in the pacific. My great uncle was also in WWII as a BAR gunner, who fought at the battle of the buldge. He also has a purple heart cuz he got captured after he tried to take out a German tank with his bar. The tank shot at him and fortunately didn't kill him, but he caught some shrapnel, and developed frostbite. He escaped from the prison camp eventually when the Russians were running up Hitler's a#!. I can't wait until I follow in their footsteps and serve my country.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:02 AM   #5

Liked 7549 Times on 3285 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

After Mom died, I lived with long term family friends for a few years, and count them as my foster parents. Elliot was Army, what is now Air Defense Artillery. He did most of the Philipine Campaign, 40mm Bofors (Duster), dealing with Kamikazes in the air, and caves on the ground. He graduated from VA Tech and was commissioned on his 18th birthday in 1937. Administered the oath when I was commissioned.

My Uncle was Sgt, 101st ABN, made the Normandy jump. I grew up listening to jump stories.

Great Uncle Eddie was a rifleman in France with the All American Division, WW 1.

My great grandfather was a Corporal in the 1st Virginia Infantry during the War of Northern Agression. BTW, I still have his mustering out pay.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #6

Liked 6105 Times on 3697 Posts
Likes Given: 6910

My Father was born with a hip deformity and he was not eligible to join the military during WW II. He always felt bad that while all the other men were fighting during the war, he was not able to. He said, "I had to stay state side with the women." I told him, "Nothing wrong with that!" But I know he felt like 'less than a man' to not be able to join the military during WW II. All his brothers did.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not much here. My moms dad was stationed in nuremberg during the trial, he was too young to fight. Don't much else about that side. He moved to Utah from Indiana after he was discharged.

My dad was in the guard during Vietnam. Never saw any combat, just hilarious stories of how a truck can take out a cedar tree out at dugway. He always hated it.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My grandpa was a marine during WWI. I know he made it to France, but nobody really knows much more than that. My dad has his uniform framed and I need to check it out more closely to see if there are any clues for me to explore/investigate.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum

Liked 240 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 645

my great uncle,my grandmothers brother was killed on the uss arizona.he was 19 years old his name was Raymond Roby.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.GLOCK

Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #10

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

All of my great uncles (on my dad's side) were in the Army during the Battle of the Bulge on the front lines. My grandfather was not able to fight because he was flat footed.

Last edited by Georgiahunter; 02-29-2012 at 11:18 PM.