MacAthur??? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > MacAthur???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Military genius......

When all is said and done, Mac was doomed to fail, There is no war for ever......Eventually those that oppose war will win.....To feed those that love war will have to go back to the plow some day......Go a head an slap a soldier in the head and call him a coward, no not mac. Every man has his breaking point......I don't recall that sob apologizing for what happened in the phillapines.....scuse my english......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #12

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

He was so great mainly because he was from my state. And all that other stuff him and his father accomplished.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxuser3890 View Post
He was so great mainly because he was from my state. And all that other stuff him and his father accomplished.

And so were thousands before and after him.....Medals do not make the man, Only those that refuse said medals in honour of thier fallen comrades do you see a mans true worth......Yea, my father recieved a silver star for bravery under fire, he came home with a cigar box FULL of medals.....He thru them all in the bayou, seems that six years of his life wasn't enough for uncle sam.......As for island hopping and killing the Japs, it was a waste of men and machinery, we could have starved the basterds to death on those same islands,.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1423 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 3039

I understand that MacArthur was sent to the Phillipines with an impossible task before the Japaneses invasion and that he was ordered out. I'm not saying that he did a bad job by any means, but I wouldn't call it a success either. He did his job and got paid very well for it (by the U.S. and the Phillipines). I just don't think his job was worthy of praise, or rather any more praise than so many others in WWII?

I would probably think better of him if he had said "We shall return"?

As for Korea, he didn't seem to have any problems disobeying orders there?

But that's just my opinion.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #15

Liked 248 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Anyone who wants to know about MacArthur should read, American Caesar by William Manchester : http://www.amazon.com/American-Caesar-Douglas-MacArthur-1880/dp/0316024740 . It is also out on CD .

MacArthur bears no responsibility for leaving the Phillipines because he acted under orders from the President . He does bear responsibilty for his air force being caught bunched up on the ground and destroyed .
He is unequalled as a strategist and his personal acts of courage are astounding . MacArthur learned from his mistakes ; after Los Negros, he never again launched a frontal attack on prepared Japanese. At Bougainville, he cordoned off half the Island, stranding 300,000 Japanese troops . He let Japanese forces wither on the vine before attacking them . His casualties for the whole war were less than America suffered in The Battle of the Bulge .

He critisized Nimitz's command for employing ultraconservative tactics in an obsession to drive the Japanese off of Okinawa . Iwo Jima was also a Nimitz show .
MacArthur said allied strategy in Europe was terrible ; that the allies attacked one enemy strongpoint after another .
Landing at Inchon was pure brilliance but later he dangerously divided his forces on the approach to China .

Too bad he wasn't elected President . As I said, read Manchester's book .

Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

it's rather easy for some to sit back many years later and criticise the decisions made by those actually there and having to make those decisions.

no leader of men is perfect and they like any other human being, makes wrong decisions just like anyone else. a good leader learns from their mistakes and doesn't repeat them.

in the heat of battle and overwhelming odds against you, are you for sure that you would make the right choices? i am sure this is what must go through the mind of a leader of men who he is charge of trying to do the best he can with what he has.

some become failures for history to criticise and are examples of what not to do, and some become heroes for us to set upon pedistols for us to honor.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 03-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #18

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

He lived with his mother. She even stayed at the hotel when he went to West Point! His worst decision was to force the M-1 Garand to be a .30-06 instead of the .276 Pedersen which I think we'd STILL be using in the military today if he hadn't screwed that up. Imagine lighter, smaller ammo and a lighter, shorter, 10-round Garand that would basically have performed like a .308. WWII and Korea: opportunity missed. So sad...

Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21988 Times on 12398 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
He lived with his mother. She even stayed at the hotel when he went to West Point! His worst decision was to force the M-1 Garand to be a .30-06 instead of the .276 Pedersen which I think we'd STILL be using in the military today if he hadn't screwed that up. Imagine lighter, smaller ammo and a lighter, shorter, 10-round Garand that would basically have performed like a .308. WWII and Korea: opportunity missed. So sad...
though the 276 Pederson might have been a better cartridge with better ballistics, i was not just MacArthur who made the choice, but also Adjutant General John B. Shuman who speaking for the Sec. of War Department, orderd all work stopped on the 276 and all energies expended into identifying and correcting the deficiencies of the 30 cal.

given the large stocks of 30 cal ammo they already had, from using the Springfield 1903 rifles, was MacArthur's reason for wanting to go with the 30 cal. vs. the 276. from a logistics point, this made much better sense than trying to field another caliber.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am interviewing at a school next week named after MacArthur. Maybe this is a sign that I should pursue it...... Interesting info btw.