Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > MacAthur???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1950

Default MacAthur???

I'm just curious as to what the consensus is on MacAthur as a General? I've always heard what a great general he was, but I've never figured out what that was based on? What exactly did he do to earn so much praise?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_MacArthur

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1717 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Default Praise.....

He coined the phrase " I Shall Return "

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1933 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 2878

Few folks are familiar with MacArthurs early Army history. MacArthur was recommended for the Medal of Honor in an action against Mexico in 1914. It was not awarded on a technical point. MacArthur was awarded two Distinguished Service Crosses and seven Silver Stars while serving as a Colonel in the 42nd Division in WWI. He was CG of the 42nd Division for the last two days of the war.

MacArthur was awarded a third Distinguised Service Cross and a Medal of Hornor for WWII.

MacArthur seldom wore his ribbons and decorations.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
He coined the phrase " I Shall Return "
That's sort of my point. What other general in history is famous for leaving his soldiers and his command? And he got a CMH for that?

In my opinion Patton was an arrogant ass, but brilliant.
MacArthur was just an arrogant ass. The most I can say for him was he had a knack for theatrics. Someone please correct me if I'm missing something.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Few folks are familiar with MacArthurs early Army history. MacArthur was recommended for the Medal of Honor in an action against Mexico in 1914. It was not awarded on a technical point. MacArthur was awarded two Distinguished Service Crosses and seven Silver Stars while serving as a Colonel in the 42nd Division in WWI. He was CG of the 42nd Division for the last two days of the war.

MacArthur was awarded a third Distinguised Service Cross and a Medal of Hornor for WWII.

MacArthur seldom wore his ribbons and decorations.

Thanks, that really improved my opinion of him.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Having already put a rather distiguished career behind him, he retired- and was recalled to active duty just prior to the start of WW 2. His command in the Phillipines was under manned and under equipped, yet it held on fighting far beyond any expectation. THAT was what got him the Medal, not his leaving when ordered to do so. It was his strategy that carried the Allies island to island and onto Japan's doorstep.

After the surrender, he served as Military Governor of Japan. When Korea was invaded in 1950, he was the commander of UN Forces in Korea. Look up Inchon Landings.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #8

Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

He was ordered to conduct a tactical withdrawal by President Roosevelt. They knew the forces in the Phillipines could not withstand the Japanese onslaught at that time. It would have hurt the US on many levels if Mac had been captured. Sometimes a soldier has to do what a soldier has to do.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #9

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
That's sort of my point. What other general in history is famous for leaving his soldiers and his command? And he got a CMH for that?

MacArthur was just an arrogant ass. The most I can say for him was he had a knack for theatrics. Someone please correct me if I'm missing something.
He was ordered by the president to leave the Philippines to Australia. His "I shall return" line was him telling the Filipino people that someday he will return to their nation. His did ceremoniously return. He was given their Legion of Honor. He is still revered in the Philippines.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19482 Times on 11066 Posts
Likes Given: 49093

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post

the thing is he was ordered to leave. really not like he had a choice in the matter. if i remember correctly he even went as high as the president, to plead his case for staying in the Phillipines. so it wasn't as though he was running away willingly, but if anything wanted to stay and support the Filipino people in resisting the Japanese army.