Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Iroquois War

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Iroquois War

"...I marched some twenty paces in advance of the rest, until I was within about thirty paces of the enemy, who at once noticed me, and, halting, gazed at me, as I did also at them. When I saw them making a move to fire at us, I rested my musket against my cheek, and aimed directly at one of the three chiefs. With the same shot, two fell to the ground; and one of their men was so wounded that he died some time after. I had loaded my musket with four balls. When our side saw this shot so favorable for them, they began to raise such loud cries that one could not have heard it thunder. Meanwhile, the arrows flew on both sides. The Iroquois were greatly astonished that two men had been so quickly killed, although they were equipped with armor woven from cotton thread, and with wood which was a proof against their arrows. This caused great alarm among them. As I was loading again, one of my companions fired a shot from the woods, which astonished them anew to such a degree that, seeing their chiefs dead, they lost courage, and took to flight, abandoning their camp and fort, and fleeing into the woods, whither I pursued them, killing still more of them."
-Champlain, 1609

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2012, 02:35 AM   #2

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 302

neat. where'd ya find that? I love NY area Indian stuff

Old 07-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #3

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Very interesting post. Any more?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #4

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I enjoy learning about the iroquois according to my grandparents I am part iroquois I don't know if it's true maybe but I still love to learn about them.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 07-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1598 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
I enjoy learning about the iroquois according to my grandparents I am part iroquois I don't know if it's true maybe but I still love to learn about them.
I knew Ray Fadden and worked with his grandson Dave at the paper.
You might find this page useful, and the site interesting:

http://www.sixnationsindianmuseum.com/resources.html