Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Gettysburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Default Gettysburg

Don't forget folks the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg begins on July 1st.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Been there, but that was about 30 years ago. Not sure anything has changed, maybe the cheap motel I stayed at. (LOL)

Jim

and a happy 150th to all that saved the Union. (now I am going to get it from all the southerners)

Jim

Old 07-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

So much for States' Rights. They pretty much died when the Union won.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #4

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Civil War of the 5 Aprils was an American tragedy. It was fought to protect Northern Investors, Western Farmers and Southern Plantations. The 60,000 killed wounded and MIA at Gettysburg was a terrible waste of humanity.
At the end of the war many wealthy plantation owners had removed their wealth and slaves to South America. Northern Investors made millions by stealing from the taxpayers. Small Western farmers became victims of the bankers and government supported railroads.
The grave yards North and South were filled with the young men of promise.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

A great short read on Pickett's Charge:

http://www.theimaginativeconservative.org/nothing-but-glory-gained-account-of-picketts-charge-at-gettysburg/

Old 07-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4401 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Always liked reading about the "War of Northern Aggression".
The 3rd day at Gettysburg and the cavalry battle.

These battles always interested me since I had relatives with Gen Wade Hampton's South Carolina legion, one who was in the 1st S.C. Cavalry at Gettysburg, .

Link
http://theechoesofgettysburg.com/id44.html

NSDQ

Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #7

Location: Washington...the state, not the District of Columbia
Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetango View Post
Always liked reading about the "War of Northern Aggression".
Last time I checked, South fired first.
The Civil War was a terrible war of attrition and the South simply couldn't keep up. If General Lee commanded the Northern forces, I think it could have ended in about a year.

The war was a technological revolution for warfare. The first machine guns, landmines, submarines, as well as trench warfare started in the Civil War. Unfortunately, medical technology was far behind the weapons.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
So much for States' Rights. They pretty much died when the Union won.
Yup, and a lot of good people with them. At least stinkin' Lincoln died too.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4401 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnscoot View Post
Last time I checked, South fired first.
The Civil War was a terrible war of attrition and the South simply couldn't keep up. If General Lee commanded the Northern forces, I think it could have ended in about a year.

The war was a technological revolution for warfare. The first machine guns, landmines, submarines, as well as trench warfare started in the Civil War. Unfortunately, medical technology was far behind the weapons.
Well then, read this.

We need to look at some facts. These are not politically correct and are not popular. The Civil War is not named correctly. A civil war is a war fought between two sides of one country to take control of that country. The Confederate States of America, known as the C.S.A., had seceded from the other states. In other words, they had become their own country. After they had become their own country, the United States of America, known as the U.S.A., decided to take them back by force. Lincoln said it was his duty to save the Union. He failed as the Confederacy had already left the Union and failed by destroying the very principles on which the Union was founded in order to take the Confederacy back by force. Because the Federal troops, or the U.S. military, decided to take the Confederacy back by force into the Union, it is technically correct, though not politically correct, to refer to the war as the War of Northern Aggression. However, those who won obviously would not like that title because it makes the U.S.A. look like the "bad-guys." They decided to keep with the politically correct "theme" of ending slavery and call it the American Civil War in order to keep their image up as the "good-guys." In effect, this portrayed the Confederacy as a bunch of slave-owners, therefore making them out to be the "bad-guys." This illusion worked well for the Federalists.

NSDQ

orangello Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #10

Location: Washington...the state, not the District of Columbia
Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I've also heard it call the War Between the States. That one ok?