Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > The Geneva convention, what is it?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #61
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,129
Liked 2747 Times on 1593 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglesam View Post
Rules in war?!?! Are there really rules in war?
Yes, there are rules of war.
But remember that there are no rules in self defense. So cheat as much as you can.
__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is offline  
Shade Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #62
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 5,259
Liked 5872 Times on 2905 Posts
Likes Given: 6231

Default

We once had a Major in our NG unit that was also Chief of Police for Utica. He was a pompous and arrogant Phuck and would often carry his loaded service piece when training at Fort Drum. Word was the Stars and Bars finally told him to resign cause thats a big no-no.

Military Battle Rattle is pretty much governed by SOP, very few additions and almost no alterations are allowed period. Pace Cords, were about the only Non-Issue Item that wouldnt draw internal fire from the brass. I agree with that.

As far as the Geneva Convention, its a relic of a time when Marques Of Queensbury rules mattered. It was an agreement by governments, for Warfighter and not by Terrorists who are our current and likely future foes in the field. There is little place in our current society for Accords and Treaties. They only limit us, rarely do they cause any mercy by the scumbag POS that wants to Bombast and Behead Torture and publicly demean and strip any humanity from Unarmed Innocent Civilians.

Waterboarding is torture but strapping a bomb to your Son isnt? We dont need a world law to create our own policies, were not the EU! We need no new world order, we need a strong and Moral Nation to caqll our own, nothing else!

__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
beastmode986 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beastmode986's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 966
Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default

Wait so say a soldier had a ar15 that he owned, and he thought it would be more reliable than his issued rifle or thought it would be a better weapon for him, would he be allowed to use it? What if you don't want to use a service issued side arm? Say you want to bring your personally owned glock or 1911? What if you don't like the sights they give you and you want to use an eotech will they let you?

__________________
beastmode986 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:37 AM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mason609's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Quincy,MA
Posts: 1,301
Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Wait so say a soldier had a ar15 that he owned, and he thought it would be more reliable than his issued rifle or thought it would be a better weapon for him, would he be allowed to use it? What if you don't want to use a service issued side arm? Say you want to bring your personally owned glock or 1911? What if you don't like the sights they give you and you want to use an eotech will they let you?
Unless you are part of a Special Operations group, you use what you are issued. No personal weapons.

ONE of the main reasons is compatibility. Another is ammo type. Until the military powers that be changes the ammo from 9mm to something else, that dictates what sidearms are used. Granted, they could do away with the Beretta 92 and go with something else, doesn't mean they will (there's been talk over the years, but nothing has changed).

The compatibility issue is mainly with magazines. You have you're own sidearm, that is not a Beretta 92, and you run out of ammo, then you have to sit there and load mags. Same thing with a personal AR. Not all are compatible with Colt mags.

As far as using an Eotech, most units do issue them. Some still use Aimpoints, while others use either the Eotech or Aimpoint and ACOGs.

The main thing to understand about the military, what you prefer does not matter. You sign a contract and swear an oath, agreeing to follow their rules, period.
__________________

Insert witty comment here......


Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Mason609 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #65
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 5,259
Liked 5872 Times on 2905 Posts
Likes Given: 6231

Default

No personal weapons for lots of reasons, some that have been raised above. Others like repair of said weapon if it breaks and supreme control of all ordinance on the battlefield is another. Besides, nobody should choose an AR 15 over an M16 or M4, the 3 round burst is a great auto-get-em!

Every fighting force in the Military has a prescribed load list and there is very little room for variation without changing the capability and overall effectiveness of that force. We train as we fight and that training has no room for modification other than approved SOP's.

The days of a rag tag come as you feel military is long past, Im certainly glad.

__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mason609's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Quincy,MA
Posts: 1,301
Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
No personal weapons for lots of reasons, some that have been raised above. Others like repair of said weapon if it breaks and supreme control of all ordinance on the battlefield is another. Besides, nobody should choose an AR 15 over an M16 or M4, the 3 round burst is a great auto-get-em!

Every fighting force in the Military has a prescribed load list and there is very little room for variation without changing the capability and overall effectiveness of that force. We train as we fight and that training has no room for modification other than approved SOP's.

The days of a rag tag come as you feel military is long past, Im certainly glad.
As am I, but I have a feeling that kind of military might end up coming back at some point....
__________________

Insert witty comment here......


Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Mason609 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kankakee County,Illinois
Posts: 1,766
Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Dont our modern "snipers" use Matchking bullets? Arent they hollow-points?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Technically, no.

I can't remember the whole process, but the MatchKing bullet is made with a small pin sized hole in the tip as it is formed upside down in the mold, but does not constitute a "hollow point" because there is not a cavernous space behind the pin sized hole.

As was pointed out, this war is not between countries that have mutually signed the listed treaties, so technically in the World Court this would not be an issue.
True HP bullets are designed to expand and deliver more trama to the target
than Ball (FMJ) ammo. 'HP' target ammo has a small void in the tip of the
bullet but this is there to move the sectional density to the rear of the bullet
providing more stabilization, it is not an expanding type bullet, and will
typically provide through and through holes like ball ammo or fragment just
like ball ammo can do if the conditions are right and the bullet yaws on
impact.
__________________
An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject. -- Unknown

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Shade is offline  
Eturnsdale Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kankakee County,Illinois
Posts: 1,766
Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Wait so say a soldier had a ar15 that he owned, and he thought it would be more reliable than his issued rifle or thought it would be a better weapon for him, would he be allowed to use it? What if you don't want to use a service issued side arm? Say you want to bring your personally owned glock or 1911? What if you don't like the sights they give you and you want to use an eotech will they let you?
The US Military does not allow the use of privately owned weapons in
combat. You can be, and likely would be, Court-Martialled for doing it.
Even using civilian body armor can get you in hot water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
Unless you are part of a Special Operations group, you use what you are issued. No personal weapons.

ONE of the main reasons is compatibility. Another is ammo type. Until the military powers that be changes the ammo from 9mm to something else, that dictates what sidearms are used. Granted, they could do away with the Beretta 92 and go with something else, doesn't mean they will (there's been talk over the years, but nothing has changed).

The compatibility issue is mainly with magazines. You have you're own sidearm, that is not a Beretta 92, and you run out of ammo, then you have to sit there and load mags. Same thing with a personal AR. Not all are compatible with Colt mags.

As far as using an Eotech, most units do issue them. Some still use Aimpoints, while others use either the Eotech or Aimpoint and ACOGs.

The main thing to understand about the military, what you prefer does not matter. You sign a contract and swear an oath, agreeing to follow their rules, period.
Special Operation groups still have to gain permission to use non-standard
firearms or ammunition. But they do have much more flexibility than most
units.

The US Marine Corps just issued a contract to go back the the 1911, now
designated the M45. Ooo-Rah!
__________________
An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject. -- Unknown

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Shade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Eturnsdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,211
Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
The US Marine Corps just issued a contract to go back the the 1911, now
designated the M45. Ooo-Rah!
But, from what Ive read on the numbers purchased, and the information from my brother, it will only be going to SOF operators and their direct support.
__________________

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Eturnsdale is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #70
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kankakee County,Illinois
Posts: 1,766
Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
I served in a helicopter company in Vietnam and carried a civilian .30 caliber Ruger Black Hawk in a civilian leather belt an holster, never was I questioned about it. On my departure I gave it to my executive officer who I am sure carried it daily.
I have a friend who was a crew chief in Vietnam. He carried a personal
sidearm also and was never questioned on it. In Desert Storm, I can
attested it was not allowed any where I was so between '72 and '90 the
rules and their application changed.
__________________
An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject. -- Unknown

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Shade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Nymphomaniac Convention NitroxAZ The Club House 24 03-24-2013 09:48 AM
GOP platform for convention downsouth Politics, Religion and Controversy 5 08-26-2012 04:16 PM
mayor wants ccw rights revolked during gop convention downsouth Legal and Activism 24 05-04-2012 03:39 AM
Nat'l FFA convention fireguy The Club House 1 10-21-2011 11:45 AM