Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > The Geneva convention, what is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
The use of civilian weapons is typically a no-no (for us, at least). That comes from our Command (typically Brigade or higher).

Even if there is nothing clearly stating the prohibition of civilian weapons/equipment, any use of non issued equipment can lead to the soldier's family not being able to collect his/her benefits should he/she die in combat.
Are you sure about that? Even in cases of suicide the family will collect the SGLI. Now, if the death can be directly attributed to the service member's own negligence DIC can be denied.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #52

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
Are you sure about that? Even in cases of suicide the family will collect the SGLI. Now, if the death can be directly attributed to the service member's own negligence DIC can be denied.
I have never seen it denied, even in cases where it was known that there was negligence on the part of the deceased.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
I have never seen it denied, even in cases where it was known that there was negligence on the part of the deceased.
DIC or SGLI? The two are very different.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #54

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I know they are and both.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #55

Alright, thank you.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:20 AM   #56

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Basically, it defined how wars should be fought.
Rules in war?!?! Are there really rules in war?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #57

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I served in a helicopter company in Vietnam and carried a civilian .30 caliber Ruger Black Hawk in a civilian leather belt an holster, never was I questioned about it. On my departure I gave it to my executive officer who I am sure carried it daily.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #58

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

1st rule of War ... Win ... nothing else should matter

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 10-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
After being told for 17 years of why I have to use issued gear, yeah, I'm sure.

I stated CAN be denied, not will be.

A SGT in the unit that we replaced was KIA, he had worn some mag pouches that weren't issued (they were mil-spec, and they can be issued, but his unit didn't issue them), and his family had to go through hell with the Pentagon to get them to give up ALL of the death bennies, and they got them.

Suicide can be linked to PTSD, and several other issues from being deployed. It's classified as service related.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 10-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #60

SGLI is provided by what is essentially a private entity where a contract is signed by the service member and the entity. If the service member's death did not violate said contract benefits can not be denied. As can be seen by the whole idiotic Dragon Skin fiasco. A unit commander, not even the president can void those benefits.

DIC? Yes, that is money paid directly from the government (but the gov must be able to prove that the death was directly related to the service member's negligence). TSGLI? not so much, though the contract stipulations are a bit different than SGLI.

Now, like Ive said time and time again. I have never served. But I have read through every bit of the contract signed when my brother joined, as well as the paperwork from my uncles, grandfather, and cousins (because of this exact same discussion). The contract is essentially the same.

In terms of the SGLI and TSGLI (which as everyone aught to know came about later on) the gear you wear does not matter. DIC? Yes, very much so as I said.

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 10-30-2012 at 05:11 AM.