The Geneva convention, what is it? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > The Geneva convention, what is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 777 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 859

Dont our modern "snipers" use Matchking bullets? Arent they hollow-points?

Old 10-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #32

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Dont our modern "snipers" use Matchking bullets? Arent they hollow-points?
Technically, no.

I can't remember the whole process, but the MatchKing bullet is made with a small pin sized hole in the tip as it is formed upside down in the mold, but does not constitute a "hollow point" because there is not a cavernous space behind the pin sized hole.

As was pointed out, this war is not between countries that have mutually signed the listed treaties, so technically in the World Court this would not be an issue.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #33

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Here's some ROEs for ya. While traveling in a convoy in Iraq we started taking small arms fire. We were told not to return fire because we could only make out muzzle flashes in the distance and could only engage if you saw the whites in their eyes

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Here's some ROEs for ya. While traveling in a convoy in Iraq we started taking small arms fire. We were told not to return fire because we could only make out muzzle flashes in the distance and could only engage if you saw the whites in their eyes
Again. Who makes these f*cking decisions in this day and age?

Here's a couple of ROE's that will be issued as soon as I am placed in charge of all military matters when Dog becomes Supreme Commander of Everything.

ROE 1 - If my troops are someone, they will have live ammo and they will be expected to use it on any SOB who wants to point a muzzle in their general direction. If there was gunfire on your shift and you return with a full magazine, guess what, you are on kitchen duty for a year.

ROE 2 - If my troops are someone and you are dumb enough to fire upon them, they will not return fire, they will march deep into your history and kill everyone you associate with, everyone who owes you money, everyone who "liked" your Jihad Facebook post and anyone else that deemed what you were THINKING about doing was a "gud idea".
Old 10-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #35

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

Here's a couple of ROE's that will be issued as soon as I am placed in charge of all military matters when Dog becomes Supreme Commander of Everything.

ROE 1 - If my troops are someone, they will have live ammo and they will be expected to use it on any SOB who wants to point a muzzle in their general direction. If there was gunfire on your shift and you return with a full magazine, guess what, you are on kitchen duty for a year.

ROE 2 - If my troops are someone and you are dumb enough to fire upon them, they will not return fire, they will march deep into your history and kill everyone you associate with, everyone who owes you money, everyone who "liked" your Jihad Facebook post and anyone else that deemed what you were THINKING about doing was a "gud idea".
I was a turret gunner (trust me I got in trouble). Those ROEs came out shortly after quite a few instances of folks killing unarmed idiots that wouldn't stop their cars at check points. We also had ROEs the included hand and arm signals, flares, warning shots, and then kill shots all in 20 seconds.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
I was a turret gunner (trust me I got in trouble). Those ROEs came out shortly after quite a few instances of folks killing unarmed idiots that wouldn't stop their cars at check points. We also had ROEs the included hand and arm signals, flares, warning shots, and then kill shots all in 20 seconds.
I got mad respect for you guys man, but I don't know how you kept from wiping out everyone when coming under fire like that.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #37
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7423 Times on 4464 Posts
Likes Given: 9182

Quote:

Here's why I wouldn't be good in the military. I am a wuss and this sounds like a very good and much safer option for me.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #38

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Technically, no.

I can't remember the whole process, but the MatchKing bullet is made with a small pin sized hole in the tip as it is formed upside down in the mold, but does not constitute a "hollow point" because there is not a cavernous space behind the pin sized hole.

As was pointed out, this war is not between countries that have mutually signed the listed treaties, so technically in the World Court this would not be an issue.
Pretty much what I gathered as well. And even though they have an open tip, that open tip is completely encased in copper.

But, the way I understand it is we never signed onto the Hague as at the time we were not considered a major power so we were not included in the talks. Though later on we agreed to follow it but are not signatory to it.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #39

Well, kind of yes and kind of no. The Hague was rolled into one of the four evolutions of the Geneva Convention, which we did ratify, but only parts of it, which is kind of cool of us actually.

Quote:
There are actually four main "Geneva Conventions",a Geneva Protocol, related Hauge Conventions and at least eleven changes andmodifications. The 4th Geneva Convention is the one we think of most and theUnited States signed that one in 1949 and ratified it in 1955, except that wetook exception to certain parts, for example, we reserved the right to usecapital punishment in certain cases. We also withheld ratification of the firstpart of The Geneva Protocol because it appeared to legitimize the PLO andcertain terrorist groups. There are numerous other "exceptions" wehave reserved

Currently we are recognized as part of the Hague Conference, which includes:

Argentina,Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Cyprus,Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, Former Yugoslav Republic ofMacedonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan,Republic of Korea, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Morocco,Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia,Spain, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom of Great Britainand Northern Ireland, United States of America, Uruguay and Venezuela.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #40

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:

and in case anybody was wondering, JD will be my Secretary of Offense

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Dillinger Likes This