The Geneva convention, what is it? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > The Geneva convention, what is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Read through it but can't find anything on hollow points or 50's. Clicked s few link and didn't see it ?

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You're killing me smalls. You had better get an "A" on this paper I am helping you with.

You have read it as it was written:

Quote:
The Great Powers agreed to renounce, in case of war among themselves, the use of any explosive projectile of less weight than 400 grams (14 ouncesavoirdupois) or one charged with fulminating or inflammable substances.
While the declaration bans the use of fragmenting, explosive, or incendiary small armsammunition, it does not prohibit such ammunition for use in autocannon or artillery rounds.
That means the use of exploding, hollow point, Black Talon like ammunition in small arms.

Quote:
Ammunition for anti-material rifles and heavy machine-guns with a bore of about 12.7 mm to 14.5 mm in diameter straddle the definition between small arms and heavy weapons. Large-bore rifles using high-explosive or incendiary rounds run the risk of violating the Declaration despite the legal use (as specified in the Hague Conventions of 1899 and 1907) of such special munitions in heavy machineguns and autocannons. The discussion of their legality often revolves around the weight limitation and whether it applies to the weight of the bullet itself or to the entire fixed cartridge
Heavy weapons are no longer "small arms" and thus the introduction of Anti-Material rifles, which coincides with the metric equivalent of a .50 caliber round (12.7mm)
Old 10-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #13

Ok thanks a lot, but what about using civilian weapons and scopes? Where does it talk about those or what does?

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #14

It doesn't. At least not to my knowledge. This was written at a time when warfare pretty much involved anything you could get your hands on, so there was no "civilian" market as opposed to "a military market" when it came to hardware.

There was a ratification of Geneva in like 2005, but I haven't read it. Maybe it was added there, but I highly doubt it.

Basically wars were being fought and some scientists got together and came up with really ugly ways to kill each other. The great powers, Russia, Most of the countries in Europe, Italy, Spain, etc. wanted to head off a huge arms race at the time, so they all got together and said "we need to find a humane way to kill each other" and everybody signed on the dotted line.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #15

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

In time of war, you can use Daisy Cutters but no Hollow Points.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

AFAIK, none of the amunuition restrictions apply to insurgents. The "Rules of War" apply to uniformed combatants.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
AFAIK, none of the amunuition restrictions apply to insurgents. The "Rules of War" apply to uniformed combatants.
You Sir, *said with heavy respect*, are 100% correct.

The Rules of War are only actually applicable when nations that signed the Treaty/Agreement go to war.

It does not apply to pretty much anyone in the middle east.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:03 AM   #18

Wait so someone in the military can use a civilian weapon instead of there issued one? And put any scope on there service issued weapon???

Old 10-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Wait so someone in the military can use a civilian weapon instead of there issued one? And put any scope on there service issued weapon???
Now you are blurring lines.

What soldiers can use for their gear is dictated by the military/command under which they serve.

That has nothing to do with either the Geneva Convention or St. Petersburg Declaration.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #20

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Can someone please tell me what the Geneva convention is?
Useless ... and puts our fighting men and women in harms way

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This