Fun stories from WWII - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History >

Fun stories from WWII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My dad was in the European Theatre, regular Army grunt. He didn't talk about the war much, but there was one story I do remember he told us.

Anyone serving abroad looks forward to packages from home and always did. The guys in my dad's outfit had one guy that made it a point to get his hands on whatever he could that anyone got in a CARE package from home, especially candy and such. The problem was that they couldn't figure out who the thief was. He was good. Well, my dad and a couple of other guys in his barrack decided to fix the pilferer once and for all. They got their hands on a bowl and a big package of chocolate Ex-Lax. You can probably figure out the rest yourselves. Within two days after they put the bowl of "candy" out, they had their culprit with his pants down....literally!!

Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My grandfather was in WW2. He was a Navy Seabee. He would tell me stories about digging trenches while both armies fought around him, apparently both sides wanted the trenches so bad EVERYONE would avoid wounding him and his fellow Seabees. Made for some interesting close calls with no fatalities.

He also gave me a machete that he sent home during the war. Said a sniper took out one of his friends each night for a weak before he tracked the sniper and... Claimed that machete.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #13

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

My parents were in Sicily during the war. The Allies dropped leaflets telling people they to get out of town before they advanced and cleared town. My mom said their valley was taken by Canadians who had been given the choice to serve the rest of their sentence in prison, or serve in the army and be set free. She said only the Scottish officers could control them.

She had left a note on the dining room table in English explaining the house was owned by an American and that they were here when the war started, and so on and so forth and please don’t take or destroy anything, etc. When the ‘front’ had been pushed back and they had secured the valley, it was safe to return to town. Their house had been broken into and cleared. A lot of them were. The house had been tossed and busted up, right up to the note. Everything after the note was untouched.

I do remember a cabinet that appeared to have had been busted open with a rifle butt.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Fact or fiction........

When my father was in boot camp he and the rest of the company gave one particular soldier hell. It seems during training that no one was to flinch a muscle or bat an eye. Well this one guy swats a huge horse fly that was sucking the blood out of his hand, The DI jumped his arse and the whole platoon had to suffer. He ordered the private to pick up the horsefly and find a match box to put it in. The next morning they were to bury the box with the deceist. The DI had them dig a 6x6 hole to put the box in. And upon covering they could not end up with a mound of dirt or an impression, it took them three trys before the DI was satisfied......Being a farm boy my father felt like he was back on the farm........

Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #15

My girlfriend's grandfather was a WWII pilot, but flew no combat missions. He was on the detail for the conference at Yalta- ended up flying a decoy plane- and met Roosevelt. Later, he flew Truman alot. He was asked to fly Air Force One detail, but by that time he 'd had enough of the military.

He flew Delta for years- still owns some commercial flight speed records. Earl Epperson.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

A loooong time ago I worked with a Leutnant in the Wehrmacht on the Russian Front. He was captured (SS were killed) and sent to work on a farm. The farmer was in the Russian Army. He moved right in with the wife and spent the rest of the war as a farmer. This was pretty common and a lot of captured German soldiers never went home. He escaped after the war and ended up in Alaska. I could see why he was captured. He had a terrible sense of direction.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

The Army in their typical brilliance taught my dad who spoke Italian to speak Chinese and sent him to the Pacific. My Uncle who also spoke Italian was sent to Italy in the artillery. I guess he could write messages on the shells in Italian.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:36 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I had 3 uncles in WWII, brothers they were. One was a combat engineer, wounded 3 times in the Atlantic theater. One brother was in the 200th costal artillery in Batann, survived the death march, hell ships and starvation. He stated the closest he ever came to being killed was at the end of the war before being released, American bombers would drop food onto the POW camps. He was laying in his bunk when a 5 gallon can of American pork and beans crashed through the roof, landed between his legs, took his bunk and 2 others to the floor. The last brother was a submarine tender, 200 miles from the closest shot fired in anger and swears the closest post war show to accurately depict his experences was McCale,s Navy.