Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   History (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f108/)
-   -   Fun stories from WWII (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f108/fun-stories-wwii-59632/)

jebsca 03-07-2012 04:15 AM

Fun stories from WWII

Was telling someone one of my grandpa's WWII stories, and wanted to share with y'all.

When he was in Germany, he had a few chances to hunt. One time, they found a rabbit a few hundred yards away, and decided to shot it with his 1911, still out a few hundred yards. He told me that he was lobbing the rounds in and trying to adjust. After a few rounds, he got the rabbit.

I still think, how crazy was Germany, that this rabbit would sit still as he worked his point of impact closer?

RustyShackleford101 03-22-2012 03:05 PM

Nice story, I've got an old frien that was a ranger- nazi killer in ww deuce

c3shooter 04-13-2012 10:53 AM

From the book Curahee- Training in England before D Day, 101st Abn, night jump. Drop zone was to be marked with a bonfire. Troopers looking out at the other aircraft flying in formation with them. Jumpmaster comes back, gives the word- get ready to go out on your reserve parachutes- do NOT hook up your static lines. We have gotten mixed in with a bunch of German bombers.
Looked back out, and realized plane next to them was NOT a C46, but a German JU88 bomber.

The stick jumped, made it OK, but half the stick got rounded up by the British Home Guard who thought they were invaders.

willshoum 04-13-2012 11:28 AM

Pee soup......

My father was a WW2 Vet and allways remembers the cook, every one picked on him. They finnaly decided to give the guy a break and told him they would no longer harrass him, to which he replied thanks, I'm not going to pee in the soup any more......As a medic during the war, when they ran out of morphine they would give the wounded bottles of wine that was taken from the cellars of the French civilians......The proudest day of my father being in the Service was delivering a baby in a cellar during a bombing raid in france.......His worst time was when the Airforce dropped thier bombs on thier own men durring the battle of the Bulge.......

Georgiahunter 04-13-2012 11:39 AM

I was told a story by my dad about one of my great-uncles. While he was in the Battle if the Bulge he also went hunting, whether he was allowed to or not I don't know. Anyway, he shot a huge stag and was thought of as the hero of the unit for a while for getting fresh meat. The funny thing is, I don't know if he had ever been deer hinting before because Georgia's deer population used to be waaaaaay less than it is now. Back then they mostly quail hunted.

Jkl-28 04-16-2012 07:38 PM

So growing up my parents always went to church and they dragged me along, well I remember this WWII vet that used to go to the same church as us, his name was Charles but he went by chuck, anyways I remember him telling me a few stories about the war when I was about 11-12 he was a paratrooper in the 82nd airborne, he was telling me what he went through on D-day
He was telling me how he got separated from everyone during the jump and when he landed he could hear Germans near him and he was scare to move with them so close by him so he stayed n hid in some bushes he had landed close to, and I guess he was there for hours then when he didn't hear them anymore he decided to move n look for other American troops.
And as he was wondering trough the french country side he came across a farm house so he went toward it and he went into the basement/cellar and went he walked in there was a German around the corner sitting over a small fire cooking some kind of potato soup,
I guess they both just kinda stared at each other and when chuck was that the german was reaching for his rifle he shot him with his Thompson then he pushed the body out of the way and ate the soup, then after he finished the soup he carried on till he found other G.I.s

Cathy123 04-16-2012 11:12 PM

My father was in WW2. He was with the 1St Armored Division. He told me when he first entered the Army, they still used the Calvary Unit! Yes, I mean they still had horses! He was with the first unit to be armored. He said the tracks would come off all the time, and that the Germans had a much better advanced tank.
He was in Anzio, the Battle of the Bulge, Lucerne and Rome, etc.

Cathy123 04-16-2012 11:21 PM

Has anyone else noticed that their parent from WW2 never talked about their experiences until many years later? Not until close to the end of his life, would he tell about what he went through. He was buried @ Arlington National Cemetery with full honors.

Vincine 04-17-2012 12:46 AM

And these are fun stories?

Cathy123 04-17-2012 01:28 AM

Well, their was the time Dad said he got drunk and took a motorcycle and drove it over a pipe that reached across a creek. He didn't make it !
It ended up in the creek some 15' below the pipe! :0))