Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > This day in History

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Washington...the state, not the District of Columbia
Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default This day in History

Here is a new thread game. Hopefully we can keep this going.
Today in history...
July 27th:
1953, Armistice signed ending the Korean War
1794, Robespierre overthrown in France

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I'll only play if I get to post for Nov 22, 1963.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I'll only play if I get to post for Nov 22, 1963.
Assassination of President Kennedy.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

July 27, 1940: Bugs Bunny debuts in "Wild Hare".

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Shootnscoot Likes This 
Old 07-31-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3740

January 20th 2016. Barack Hussein Obama will no longer be "Caliph of Washington!"

Old 08-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
January 20th 2016. Barack Hussein Obama will no longer be "Caliph of Washington!"
While this may be a good thing, it is neither today, nor history.

back to the game. This day in history:
1864: General Sherman takes command of the Army of the Shenandoah.
1975: Jimmy Hoffa goes missing

Old 08-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootnscoot View Post
While this may be a good thing, it is neither today, nor history.

back to the game. This day in history:
1864: General Sherman takes command of the Army of the Shenandoah.
1975: Jimmy Hoffa goes missing

And it might not even be a good thing if that ignorant, do nothing dolt is replaced with a very intelligent, true-believing, hard working devout Marxist like "The Hideous Hag From Hell."

Old 08-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1771 Times on 1159 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

August 1st this day in history:

1192 – Richard the Lionheart landed on Jaffa and defeated the army of Saladin
1664 – The Ottoman Empire is defeated in the Battle of Saint Gotthard by an Austrian army led by Raimondo Montecuccoli, resulting in the Peace of Vasvár
1800 – The Acts of Union 1800 is passed in which merges the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland into the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
1834 – Slavery is abolished in the British Empire as the Slavery Abolition Act 1833 comes into force.
1838 – Non-laborer slaves in most of the British Empire are emancipated.
1840 – Laborer slaves in most of the British Empire are emancipated.
1914 – Germany declares war on Russia at the opening of World War I. The Swiss Army mobilizes because of World War I
1944 – The Warsaw Uprising against the Nazi occupation breaks out in Warsaw, Poland.
1957 – The United States and Canada form the North American Air Defense Command (NORAD).
1966 – Charles Whitman kills 16 people at the University of Texas at Austin before being killed by the police.
1966 – Purges of intellectuals and imperialists becomes official China policy at the beginning of the Cultural Revolution.
1981 – MTV begins broadcasting in the United States and airs its first video, "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Shootnscoot Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

August 3rd this day in history:

8 – Roman Empire general Tiberius defeats Dalmatae on the river Bathinus.
1492 – Christopher Columbus sets sail from Palos de la Frontera, Spain.
1900 – The Firestone Tire and Rubber Company is founded.
1914 – World War I: Germany declares war against France.
1921 – Major League Baseball Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis confirms the ban of the eight Chicago Black Sox, the day after they were acquitted by a Chicago court.
1934 – Adolf Hitler becomes the supreme leader of Germany by joining the offices of President and Chancellor into Führer.
1936 – Jesse Owens wins the 100 meter dash, defeating Ralph Metcalfe, at the Berlin Olympics.
1948 – Whittaker Chambers accuses Alger Hiss of being a communist and a spy for the Soviet Union.
1958 – The nuclear submarine USS Nautilus travels beneath the Arctic ice cap.
1977 – Tandy Corporation announces the TRS-80, one of the world's first mass-produced personal computers.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 08-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

August 4th this day in history:

70 – The destruction of the Second Temple in Jerusalem by the Romans.
1327 – First War of Scottish Independence: James Douglas leads a raid into Weardale and almost kills Edward III of England.
1704 – War of the Spanish Succession: Gibraltar is captured by an English and Dutch fleet, commanded by Admiral Sir George Rooke and allied with Archduke Charles.
1789 – In France members of the National Constituent Assembly take an oath to end feudalism and abandon their privileges.
1790 – A newly passed tariff act creates the Revenue Cutter Service (the forerunner of the United States Coast Guard).
1796 – French Revolutionary Wars: Napoleon leads the French Army of Italy to victory in the Battle of Lonato.
1854 – The Hinomaru is established as the official flag to be flown from Japanese ships.
1873 – American Indian Wars: while protecting a railroad survey party in Montana, the United States 7th Cavalry, under Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer clashes for the first time with the Sioux near the Tongue River; only one man on each side is killed.
1892 – The father and stepmother of Lizzie Borden are found murdered in their Fall River, Massachusetts home.
1914 – World War I: Germany invades Belgium. In response, the United Kingdom declares war on Germany. The United States declares its neutrality.
1944 – The Holocaust: a tip from a Dutch informer leads the Gestapo to a sealed-off area in an Amsterdam warehouse, where they find and arrest Jewish diarist Anne Frank, her family, and four others.
1964 – American civil rights movement: civil rights workers Michael Schwerner, Andrew Goodman and James Chaney are found dead in Mississippi after disappearing on June 21.
1964 – Gulf of Tonkin incident: U.S. destroyers USS Maddox and USS Turner Joy report coming under attack in the Gulf of Tonkin.
1969 – Vietnam War: At the apartment of French intermediary Jean Sainteny in Paris, American representative Henry Kissinger and North Vietnamese representative Xuan Thuy begin secret peace negotiations. The negotiations will eventually fail.
1975 – The Japanese Red Army takes more than 50 hostages at the AIA Building housing several embassies in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The hostages include the U.S. consul and the Swedish Chargé d'affaires. The gunmen win the release of five imprisoned comrades and fly with them to Libya.
1977 – U.S. President Jimmy Carter signs legislation creating the United States Department of Energy.
1987 – The Federal Communications Commission rescinds the Fairness Doctrine which had required radio and television stations to present controversial issues "fairly".
1993 – A federal judge sentences Los Angeles Police Department officers Stacey Koon and Laurence Powell to 30 months in prison for violating motorist Rodney King's civil rights.