Civil War History In your family - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Civil War History In your family

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9551 Times on 4109 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Part of my family goes back to Bacon's Rebellion here in VA. As far as the Civil War- Ancestor on Mom's side- James Pleasants. Great grandad was Regimental butcher (kept the troops fed). I still have his mustering out pay. My mother was born at Little Dover plantation, next door to Sabot Hill.

About Corporal Pleasants- do NOT touch his horses!
From Wikipedia, Goochland County VA.

Almost 100 years after Cornwallis marched his army through Goochland, the county was the site of another battle. By the year 1864, the young Union Colonel Ulric Dahlgren was a distinguished officer. He had a daring plan to secretly infiltrate central Virginia, liberate nearly 12,000 Union prisoners on Belle Isle in Richmond, the Confederate capital, and destroy the city. On March 1, 1864, Dahlgren's forces reached Sabot Hill, Dover, and Eastwood in eastern Goochland.[4]

Eastwood was then occupied by Plumer Hobson and his wife, the daughter of Brigadier General Henry A. Wise. On the previous night General Wise had arrived at Eastwood. When a Union detail arrived at Eastwood looking for him, his daughter said that he was in Charleston, South Carolina. Instead, he was riding rapidly southeast to Richmond to warn the troops of the Union raiders.[4] Dahlgren went to Sabot Hill, the home of James Seddon and his wife, who answered the door and invited the officer in for some wine and Southern hospitality. She knew that Wise was on his way to Richmond and wanted to delay Dahlgren. Ultimately, due to the quick thinking by the families in Goochland, Wise was able to warn forces in Richmond and defeat Dahlgren's raid.[4]

When the war broke out, James Pleasants, a native of the county, insisted he replace his uncle in the Goochland Light Dragoons (known during the war as Co. F, 4th Virginia Cavalry). In 1861, he was allowed to take his uncle's place. In the winter of 1864, any troops who were close to home were allowed to return to recruit more soldiers. On Pleasants' first night home, Dahlgren's raiders stole his horses but did not search the property. When Pleasants found out what happened, he grabbed his carbine and started off on foot after the raiders. Hearing a noise, he hid in the woods, and then ordered the Union cavalryman to surrender. Pleasants mounted the man's horse, and forced the soldier to walk in front of him to search for more soldiers. Within a short amount of time, Pleasants had captured several Union prisoners and took them as prisoners back to Bowles' store. In all, he captured 15 Union soldiers, recovered 16 horses, and shot one officer who refused to surrender.[4]

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Had a couple of distant family serve with one of the Indiana Regiments, basically they mustered in and were discharged like 6 months later, they never saw combat.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

racer_x Likes This 
Old 05-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #13

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts

Supposedly I am related to the great Abraham Lincoln. I haven't done the research but that is what my family and parents tell me.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:39 AM   #14

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjkf View Post
Supposedly I am related to the great Abraham Lincoln. I haven't done the research but that is what my family and parents tell me.
Ya know, with your name, social, bank account numbers and routing numbers, I can tell you anything you want to know. But you might want to PM that to me, can't risk having that info falling into the wrong hands...

Old 05-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

ya know, with your name, social, bank account numbers and routing numbers, i can tell you anything you want to know. But you might want to pm that to me, can't risk having that info falling into the wrong hands...
😜 ................

Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjkf

dde1c ................
. lol ha

Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #17

Liked 169 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 139

My great-great Grandfather was taught by Clara Barton in New Jersey before the war. There are several books that mention him as being a bully in school. Ms. Barton some how made him cry and he became one of her favorite students. They were reunited at Gettysburg where he had been shot and she stumbled across him with the other wounded men. After the war they were close friends and my Great Grandmother was named Clara after Ms. Barton.
I have all of his military paperwork and his Officers Cavalry sword. He was promote in the field from private all the way to Capitan. He was a carpenter by trade and I have all of his tools in his custom made tool box.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #18
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by john300k View Post
My great-great Grandfather was taught by Clara Barton in New Jersey before the war. There are several books that mention him as being a bully in school. Ms. Barton some how made him cry and he became one of her favorite students. They were reunited at Gettysburg where he had been shot and she stumbled across him with the other wounded men. After the war they were close friends and my Great Grandmother was named Clara after Ms. Barton.
I have all of his military paperwork and his Officers Cavalry sword. He was promote in the field from private all the way to Capitan. He was a carpenter by trade and I have all of his tools in his custom made tool box.
Having that stuff is really cool. I have my great grandfathers toolbox also. He was kept out of WWI by flat feet. He had done the historical research and traced his family back to the revolution. He and his daughter (my grandmother) were members of the sons/daughters of the revolution. But all of his research disappeared after his death so I don't know if any ancesters fought in the civil war.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6607 Times on 3681 Posts
Likes Given: 6264

Two of my Great Grandfathers fought in the civil war

One served with the 12th Louisiana Dragoons, and the other with the 2nd Texas Rangers.

But that war has been over for 148 years. The great issues of that day were decided once and for all time on the battlefield. It's over folks.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Chainfire Likes This 
Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Two of my Great Grandfathers fought in the civil war

One served with the 12th Louisiana Dragoons, and the other with the 2nd Texas Rangers.

But that war has been over for 148 years. The great issues of that day were decided once and for all time on the battlefield. It's over folks.
Its not over. The results of the Civil War are still painfully present today. The Civil War saw the end of America as our founding fathers saw it. State Rights were destroyed as a result of the war, and is one of the reasons we have the oversized glutton of a government we have today.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 05-31-2013 at 10:01 AM.
DrumJunkie Likes This