civil war history - Page 23
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > civil war history

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #221
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 179 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 49

The North invaded the South....where is Manassas ?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #222
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5153 Times on 1771 Posts
Likes Given: 1529

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Don't want to de-rail this thread. Will make an OP on debunking the Little Big Horn myth.
Start it up.
Just finished reading "Crazy Horse and Custer" by Stephen E Ambrose and about 1/3 of the way thru "The Last Stand" by Nathaniel Philbrick so I'm ready.
Want to get into Reno and Benteen's part at the Little Big Horn".

According to my grandfather who was told by his father who fought with Kershaw's S.C. brigade in the late unpleasantness that he fought because everyone of his neighbors did so.....

NSDQ

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who don’t like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

alsaqr Likes This 
Old 08-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #223
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2690 Times on 1869 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeoil View Post
The North invaded the South....where is Manassas ?
In northern VA.

The Confederates seized federal funds and property, then demanded removal of the federal troops from Fort Sumter. The bombardment of Sumter was an act of war.

Just as well it should have happened. Slavery anywhere in this Republic could no longer be tolerated.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #224
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 179 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
In northern VA.

The Confederates seized federal funds and property, then demanded removal of the federal troops from Fort Sumter. The bombardment of Sumter was an act of war.

Just as well it should have happened. Slavery anywhere in this Republic could no longer be tolerated.
Was Northern Va. in the Confederacy?...How can you seize what you own? The slavery question was not what my ancestors fought for,it was Northern Aggression...You come to my house and try to take my possessions and I will respond in kind...Very few southerners owned slaves....Wars are fought over treasure,not ideals....ideals are used for invasions of sovereign nations...ask the Iraqis.....

Old 08-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #225
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 89 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Drafting blacks in the Confederate army was a desperate measure in the final months of the war. Even then, there was no promise of freedom for the slave conscripts.

How many were combat troops and how many were day servants and other support personnel is unknown. I do not know the story on the pensions, but the number you gave needs verification.
At the start of the war Nathan Bedford Forrest had 43 slaves, he told them that if they would fight with him at the end of the war he would give them their freedom. At the end he still had 42 with him. But according to you everyone from the South just wanted to keep their slaves, and never mind that the majority of the Southern Army was made up of poor sharecroppers that could barely afford to feed their own families much buy and feed slaves.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:52 AM   #226
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2258 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 3528

Quote:
According to my grandfather who was told by his father who fought with Kershaw's S.C. brigade in the late unpleasantness that he fought because everyone of his neighbors did so.....
The same thing happened all over the south. Most of the members of Company F, 31st VA Infantry were from the area around Huttonsville, WV where i grew up. Two of my Great-Grandfathers brothers were in that unit. One was killed soon after the Battle of The Wilderness. Folks signed up because their family and friends did so.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:01 AM   #227
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2690 Times on 1869 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastrebel70 View Post
At the start of the war Nathan Bedford Forrest had 43 slaves, he told them that if they would fight with him at the end of the war he would give them their freedom. At the end he still had 42 with him. But according to you everyone from the South just wanted to keep their slaves, and never mind that the majority of the Southern Army was made up of poor sharecroppers that could barely afford to feed their own families much buy and feed slaves.
No, I never said that "everyone from the South just wanted to keep their slaves". The majority in the Confederate army were patriotic. Many also believed that slavery was alright by God, because the n.....rs were less than human.

If Forrest's slaves loved their master more than freedom, it was their choice. So do many people across the world, to this day. If you think the Negroes were better off under slavery, go tell their descendants. I'll visit you in the hospital.

Last edited by Mercator; 08-23-2014 at 01:05 AM. Reason: clarity

Old 08-23-2014, 01:18 AM   #228
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

and done...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

St8LineGunsmith Likes This 
Closed Thread