civil war history - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > civil war history

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6311 Times on 3535 Posts
Likes Given: 5896

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
I guess some things never change, wars for oil come to mind...
I see no connection.

The left-liberal propaganda about the "oil wars" is just that. Left-liberal propaganda.

Same as the pro-communist demonstrators in the sixties with their vicious lies about the "capitalists" being behind the VN war.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
nitestalker Likes This 
Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1411 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 3022

I always thought it was because of the ports. Most of the federal taxes were collected at the ports, and the overwhelming majority of ports were south of the Mason Dixon line. The federal government would have been bankrupt had the south succeed, and that's why they couldn't let the south succeed. Now if I could only remember where I read that?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1411 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 3022

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
No problem locutus. Stipulating that Americans have become more moral over the past 150 years as you say, for argument's sake, I will only apply the most fundamental ethics from 1865 on. That would make him...

...a traitor and cold blooded murderer.

By the way, your defense didn't work at The Nuremburg Trials and I assure you it won't work in the Left's defense of the Boston Bomber either, but at least we've gotten a sense of the company you keep.
So was Andrew Jackson a war criminal?

Old 05-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #14
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5004 Times on 1711 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Col. John S Mosby (The Grey Ghost) never surrendered either.

NSDQ

locutus Likes This 
Old 05-19-2013, 02:32 AM   #15

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

History is riten by the victor just like most wars the civil war was not fought over slavery and racism as the government would love all to believe. it was about a Government pushing people to far and Money when the south asked Lincoln to secede from the union in peace Lincoln replied who will pay for the government. Southern Blood runs deep in my family I can trace it back to Jesse James and other kin. The Confederate Flag still waves proudly over the farm always will!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #16

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchhatchery View Post
History is riten by the victor just like most wars the civil war was not fought over slavery and racism as the government would love all to believe. it was about a Government pushing people to far and Money when the south asked Lincoln to secede from the union in peace Lincoln replied who will pay for the government. Southern Blood runs deep in my family I can trace it back to Jesse James and other kin. The Confederate Flag still waves proudly over the farm always will!
Birch, it's obvious you don't even know what "the" confederate flag is you claim you proudly fly. I can recommend a good single book if you'd like to learn about the US Civil War.

As for the igniting cause, ask the Confederate States -- most of THEM cited slavery as it in their articles of cecession. There were definitely regional differences -- most obvious and critical to the South was they wanted to separate to KEEP slavery they knew would inevitably be voted away. They were afraid. Period. And they started a shooting war, insurrection, a rebellion, killing to do it.

There is no disputing this unless you simply don't know history and somehow feel compelled to tie yourself into evil blindly per The Lost Cause nonsense.

By the way, that all has little to do with the rank and file soldiers on either side. And some officers. The North would have gladly traded Hooker, Burnside and McLellan, the latter twice, for Lee.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-19-2013 at 02:56 AM.
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #17

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

There were millions of acres of yet to be settled farm lands in the Midwest. Cotton farming was fading. Sons of Northern Free Farmers were subject to smaller non profitable farms.
The conflict then was Slave labor or Free Family Farms in the New West. Lincoln represented the Free Farm movement in the Midwest. The rest is history.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #18

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

to each his own belive the BS you want Hock ive never cared for your nonsense input on anything! I will keep telling people the REAL TRUTH FOR THE SOUTHERN CAUSE

Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6311 Times on 3535 Posts
Likes Given: 5896

The war is over, guys.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #20

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Whose fighting any old war? You wouldn't even know what side I'm on. So I'll tell ya. I'm only on the side of truth -- and there's only one of them. And it's not Southern. Or Northern. And by the way Birch, that's not the Confederate flag ya got there. Nor flying on your farm as you might have found out since I brought it up...

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-21-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Closed Thread