civil war history - Page 19
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > civil war history

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #181
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2251 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 3517

Don't want to de-rail this thread. Will make an OP on debunking the Little Big Horn myth.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #182
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Less than 2% of southerners owned slaves. The south didn't secede because the rights of 2% of the citizens were being trampled. Slavery was defended but the fire was lit long before Lincoln was elected or slavery became an issue. The south demanded it's rights as states to run local affairs.

I am sure there were battles in congress over slavery because the slave owners were political donors. Nothing has changed very much, if you have the money you can find a politician to defend your interests.
Exactly right! Too many of today's citizens have bought into the idea that slavery was only thing over which the Civil War was fought. Many of today's civil rights leaders want to keep that idea strong in everyone's minds so as to keep their own power. The 2% of the Southerners who owned slaves were the apex of Southern society and most of the rest looked up to them similar to the way today's society looks up to celebrities. The Southerners who fought and died fought to protect their states, their land, their lifestyle and their "liberty" to handle their own affairs in their own country.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #183
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5127 Times on 1762 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Never thought a lot of Custer and Wade Hampton III should have gotten a lot more recognition than he did and was underrated as a commander.

He was 6 feet and about 230 lbs and a MAN..

Fought and killed bears with a knife before joining the southern cause where he was wounded 5 times.

From link below.
Like many southern boys, he led an active outdoor life, hunting and riding horses. He was described as a "daring and graceful horseman." Often told were the adventures of taking lone trips into the woods, hunting bears with just his knife. One source claims that the young Hampton killed as many as 80 bears using just a blade.

http://www.knowsouthernhistory.net/Biographies/Wade_Hampton/

NSDQ

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who don’t like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

orangello Likes This 
Old 04-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #184
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Gello would love that guy I bet

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

orangello Likes This 
Old 04-18-2014, 02:25 AM   #185

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Well I am glad to see you all getting along so well, no name calling or mud slinging just the non-facts (LOL).

The Civil War was started over the same thing all wars are started over - MONEY. The Federal Government was taxing the daylights out of items being exported by the south, especially cotton being shipped to Britain to the clothing mills there. The North was strangling the South economically and since the north was mainly manufacturing the export taxes did not effect them but did kill economic growth of the whole south.

Not as romantic as freeing all the slaves or keeping a gentlemen's way of life (LOL). But to the uneducated masses (most of the people in both the north and south) it was a better lie that the rich told the poor than that they were just greedy.

From the sounds of the posts here, most of you are still un-educated and still have the old prejudges and false ideas.

And by the way, I have been to Little Big Horn and Custer was an idiot that got his men killed for no reason.

Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 04-18-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #186
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetango View Post
Never thought a lot of Custer and Wade Hampton III should have gotten a lot more recognition than he did and was underrated as a commander.

He was 6 feet and about 230 lbs and a MAN..

Fought and killed bears with a knife before joining the southern cause where he was wounded 5 times.

From link below.
Like many southern boys, he led an active outdoor life, hunting and riding horses. He was described as a "daring and graceful horseman." Often told were the adventures of taking lone trips into the woods, hunting bears with just his knife. One source claims that the young Hampton killed as many as 80 bears using just a blade.

http://www.knowsouthernhistory.net/Biographies/Wade_Hampton/
We need more leaders like that!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #187
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2651 Times on 1846 Posts
Likes Given: 1351

We need leaders who believe in American values, and have no delusions about the past and the present alike.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #188
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 49

And who can stab a bear to death

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

People Like This 
Old 04-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #189
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
And who can stab a bear to death
Hell yes!

That guy makes ole bear-hugger T. Roosevelt look like a wussy schoolgirl with his "ewwww! I don't want to kill that bear 'cause it isn't big enough." Kill them all; let the cook size them up.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #190
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Well I am glad to see you all getting along so well, no name calling or mud slinging just the non-facts (LOL).

The Civil War was started over the same thing all wars are started over - MONEY. The Federal Government was taxing the daylights out of items being exported by the south, especially cotton being shipped to Britain to the clothing mills there. The North was strangling the South economically and since the north was mainly manufacturing the export taxes did not effect them but did kill economic growth of the whole south.

Not as romantic as freeing all the slaves or keeping a gentlemen's way of life (LOL). But to the uneducated masses (most of the people in both the north and south) it was a better lie that the rich told the poor than that they were just greedy.

From the sounds of the posts here, most of you are still un-educated and still have the old prejudges and false ideas.

And by the way, I have been to Little Big Horn and Custer was an idiot that got his men killed for no reason.

Jim
I agree, bigjim, and didn't mean to imply that my point was the only reason the Civil War was fought. There is only so much room in one post and I just wanted to add another nail to the coffin. Taxes can be thought of as financial invasion and, of course, money is the ultimate reason for just about everything, including war! Hence the saying, "follow the money!"

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Axxe55 Likes This 
Closed Thread