Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   History (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f108/)
-   -   civil war history (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f108/civil-war-history-90520/)

locutus 05-12-2013 12:03 AM

civil war history

Rebel Private Front and Rear: Memoirs of a Confederate Soldier, by William Fletcher

A very good read for the civil war buff.

Available at Amazon.com

FrontierTCB 05-12-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus
Rebel Private Front and Rear: Memoirs of a Confederate Soldier, by William Fletcher

A very good read for the civil war buff.

Available at Amazon.com

Thanks for the info.
I've been reading a some stories about Champ Ferguson lately. I had never heard of him until recently. Apparently the South surrendered but he did not. Depending on what you read he was either one of the first American serial killers or most dedicated soldier.

Supposedly the movie "Outlaw Jose Whales" is loosely based on his life. Quite a character.

HockaLouis 05-12-2013 12:34 AM

Traitor and cold blooded murderer.

locutus 05-12-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1243942)
Traitor and cold blooded murderer.

One man's traitor is another man's patriot. It's hard to judge soldier's actions during war.

Dozen of union army officers serving during the union occupation of the south returned home as heroes who had restored the rule of law. The actions they took in the summary execution of several thousands of civilians today would brand them as war criminals.

I find it hard to judge the men from either side. A "war crime" today was a normal military duty back then.

HockaLouis 05-12-2013 11:18 PM

I am familiar with the Lost Cause philosophy, propaganda in many forms, as well as the difference between right and wrong and even good vs. evil.

locutus 05-13-2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1244749)
I am familiar with the Lost Cause philosophy, propaganda in many forms, as well as the difference between right and wrong and even good vs. evil.

I think we all are conversant with those values. By today's standards.

But my point is that I will not apply the standards of 2013 to the actions of men in 1864.

If you feel you can use that yardstick, be my guest. I cannot.

HockaLouis 05-13-2013 04:01 AM

No problem locutus. Stipulating that Americans have become more moral over the past 150 years as you say, for argument's sake, I will only apply the most fundamental ethics from 1865 on. That would make him...

...a traitor and cold blooded murderer.

By the way, your defense didn't work at The Nuremburg Trials and I assure you it won't work in the Left's defense of the Boston Bomber either, but at least we've gotten a sense of the company you keep.

nitestalker 05-13-2013 04:30 AM

The American Civil War of April 1860 was preceded by the Civil Wars of 1776 and 1812. The Civil War of Five Aprils has become such a contradiction due to the issue of servitude. The Northern States had only given up slavery 40 years earlier. Facts are slaves were owned by Gen. Grant in Kentucky. Slaves were maintained in about every Northern state even after the war ended.
The issue of slavery was much less important than the profit struggle between "Free" Farmers and slave holders. Most of the solders Blue and Grey that fell were pawns of Northern and Southern wealth. :(

WebleyFosbery38 05-13-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1245045)
The American Civil War of April 1860 was preceded by the Civil Wars of 1776 and 1812. The Civil War of Five Aprils has become such a contradiction due to the issue of servitude. The Northern States had only given up slavery 40 years earlier. Facts are slaves were owned by Gen. Grant in Kentucky. Slaves were maintained in about every Northern state even after the war ended.
The issue of slavery was much less important than the profit struggle between "Free" Farmers and slave holders. Most of the solders Blue and Grey that fell were pawns of Northern and Southern wealth. :(

I guess some things never change, wars for oil come to mind...

FrontierTCB 05-13-2013 12:10 PM

I've always felt the war had much more to do with the value of the cotton grown in the South that was needed to feed the textile industry of the North.
Believe it or not you can't always believe what you are thought in school. LOL