Auschwitz - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > History > Auschwitz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
There is a Holocaust Museum in Skokie, Illinois, a predominantly Jewish suburb of Chicago. It's only about a 45 minute drive from me but I have not gone to see it yet. I don't know if I'm strong enough to get through it.

http://www.ilholocaustmuseum.org/

I remember years ago on occasion when I'd draw blood from patients, every once in a while someone would present an arm that had a Holocaust tattoo on it. It seems like it was always the left forearm. It broke my heart to see that and the patient was usually embarrassed to present that arm. I couldn't help but wonder what that person had been through during his/her life......what they had seen and experienced......where their family members were, etc. It was quite upsetting for me. I haven't seen it in quite a while, though, as that generation ages. That and the fact that I've moved away from a more populated area where I was more likely to see that. I'm now in a small farming community.
If you want a decent idea of what they went through, read "Night" by Elie Wiesel. That is probably one of the best, and most heart wrenching books I have ever read.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1885 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default Quote........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
As you can see, some people still don't get it. This is exactly why the holocost, in one form or another, will never really end.
Noted, but when you quote some one, please don't add your interpretation. Seems the lettering in your post was different than mine. Are you German decent...... By the way, my family is from france, some one should have shot That sumbitch Charles De Gaulle, The French did not liberate France.....This was an insult to the soldiers that died on D DAY.........And as for the Island of Japan, Its only going to get worse.....Mother nature will see to this.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #33

Liked 1456 Times on 883 Posts
Likes Given: 337

I added no interpretation, you spoke your feelings very clearly. I did add emphasis to the portion of your post I wished to comment on.

If you are going to suggest that genocide would have been appropriate punishment for the German and Japanese people, ("Japs" is a racial slur) you should not be surprised to have someone compare your attitude to that of the pre-war Germans.

I find it curious that you ask if I am of German descent, as if only a German could find offense in your post; but no, my family did not come from Germany. (nor from Japan)

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 07-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #34

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
. . . . I remember years ago on occasion when I'd draw blood from patients, every once in a while someone would present an arm that had a Holocaust tattoo on it. It seems like it was always the left forearm. . . . . I'm now in a small farming community.
In NYC I once worked with someone who was in the camps. He was a retired teamster working as a messenger just to keep himself busy. When a new young messenger would first catch sight of his numbers, they would ask him about it. When he told them he was the only surviving member of his family, you could see their limited abstract knowledge of history change to the concrete, abruptly.

Up here I’ve cared for a few survivors on the floor. It always an interesting story how they ended up in the mountains. Mostly it reminds them of the Black Forest.

Last edited by Vincine; 07-16-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 103

If you can handle the topic, there is a movie about the " sonderkommando" - the Jews whose job was to herd others into the gas chamber and they organized the first armed revolt in Aushwitz. The movie is called "The Grey Zone.".

It's available at BlockBuster.

Side note: history channel had a special about how the Nazi party slowly came to power. (They were all in jail at one time) an ordinary citizen was standing outside a burned synagogue (Night of Long Knives) and he muttered to himself, "This is not right," and a secret policeman took his name and told him to report to the police station or they w come for him. Dissent was not tolerated and anyone who spoke out was sent to the camps for "re-education."

Many Catholic Priest thought they could speak from the pulpit w immunity, they disappeared in the "Smoke & Fog" never to be seen again. Many people disappeared in this same manner. It was an effective campaign of terror against their own people.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8862 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Please don't. This thread is about a visit to Auschwitz. Politics thread is over there.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 07-16-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #37

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Who here has seen the movie "Defiance"?

Thats probably my all time favorite,next to Clerks 1 and Clerks 2 that is

Its a movie that makes me cry in pain and joy,and rage for the blood of evildoers all in the span of less then 2 hours.

Hell of a movie.

When people talk of the holocaust,I like to think of all the brave Jews that -fought back-.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 07-16-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #38

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post
Who here has seen the movie "Defiance"?

Thats probably my all time favorite,next to Clerks 1 and Clerks 2 that is

Its a movie that makes me cry in pain and joy,and rage for the blood of evildoers all in the span of less then 2 hours.

Hell of a movie.

When people talk of the holocaust,I like to think of all the brave Jews that -fought back-.

I've seen it, good movie. A lot of Jews in the ghettos also rose up, but were beaten after a long standoff.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #39

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Warsaw Ghetto uprising- the Jews there who had been starved and disease ridden for months if not years beforehand,and disarmed for longer,managed to force an entire combat division into having to put them down.

THAT is the meaning of the quote:

"It is better to die on your feet then live on your knees".

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Old 07-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1229 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 2482

I hope Auschwitz stands for as long as people walk the earth. It is a very real reminder of just what we are capable of.

Thanks for posting those photos.