Went to the gun show today, walked out feeling like a rape victim - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > Went to the gun show today, walked out feeling like a rape victim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My nephew has been telling me about the most recent gun shows in MS. It sounds like an out-and-out screwjob, and not in a good way. He saw some people tacticooling a Mossberg shotgun and adding GREATLY to its price. He has seen some crazy ammo prices. Mostly he has seen some suckers who got caught unprepared for odumbass's onslaught.

I will go to the one Saturday, but just to look and laugh. Being a loudmouthed redneck, i'm not shy about giving somebody a hard time over a BS price: "Where is the scope for this authentic sniper MosinNagant rifle?" "Does anybody know if this 14k gold-plating is safe for XD pistols?" "Holy **** people! Did Adolph sign this here Luger?"

edit* Nephew also mentioned a conversation with a guy at the last show who was getting ready to "unload" 100,000 rounds of .22LR; guy indicated he had been waiting for the best time and figured stores would be restocked soon.

Last edited by orangello; 04-26-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 AM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I was at Academy Sports here in Metairie Thursday. The person I always deal with told me he had 3 black guns and one M1A under the counter but Academy has a store policy that does not allow any Academy to display black guns. "How stupid" people should learn about them not fear them as though they are machine guns which the media painted so vividly lately calling them "automatic" weapons - anyway the point is he had a Smith, Core 15, Springfield and another brand but says no one in the last 6 weeks has even called asking for them.

He thinks this may be the beginning of things starting to calm down. I started buying .22lr ammo about August of last year not imagining that 22 ammo would sky rocket. I just had a feeling that if I wanted to carry 5000 rounds of ammo in a bug out pack that 22's are much easier to carry than 308 or 223.

I hope that guy gets stuck with 100K rounds of 22's and has to sell a box of 50 for .50 cents

Well, one thing is for sure. Just remember who the jerks were that tried to profiteer during all this when they could have been helping quell the panic.

A black market will always bring out the worst in people. But the dumb asses in DC forgot about the days of prohibition. If anything they backfire on themselves by creating panic. Two things people are not going to do without other than shelter that's food and protection. The basic levels of human survival.
shadecorp Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 02:59 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc1960 View Post
I hope that guy gets stuck with 100K rounds of 22's and has to sell a box of 50 for .50 cents

Well, one thing is for sure. Just remember who the jerks were that tried to profiteer during all this when they could have been helping quell the panic.
I do hope kharma takes a HUGE bite out of dude's azz; heck, i hope kharma has a frikkin FEAST on the profiteers.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #24

Likes Given: 4

I went to the Ontario gun show in SoCal, just to pick up some ammo and a few other odds and ends, I knew the prices were very crazy. but I did not know that ammo dealers were stupid. I asked for .41 mag ammo and the guy said there was no such thing that I did not know what I was talking about. I told him he had his head up his a$$. and told everyone that I saw by his table that he did not now what he was doing or selling.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #25

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertFox View Post
At the last gunshow I went to, I saw a Mosin 91/30 for $300 DOLLARS. Nothing special about it and no accessories. Just a plain jane 91/30. I thought was gonna die when I saw the price tag. I ended up just buying a nice looking pocket knife......
i'm starting to consider 2 posibilities about the 91-30 and the k98k.

1. all of the current gun violence/control crap that is going on right now has temperarily halted shippment and supply of these two rifles,

2. there are no more left in surplus storage.

reason: you used to be able to get a mosin at dunham's for $90-$180 or a k98 for a little more than the mosin. for the past 2 weeks neither of the two dunhams stores closest to where i live have any of the 2 rifles mentioned.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #26

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm going to get my fingerprint cards today at the sheriffs office for my FFL. But I have an idea that I would like to see local "garage sale" type gun sales. Would any of you go to a local auction set up in a decent place with police presence, I would advertise in the local paper - like a gun show but not all the expense to get in. If you have something to sell bring it, register as a buyer or seller. No cover charge, but if you sell there is a 5% sellers premium for brokering the sale. Not unlike any other auction. Maybe on a Saturday from 8 to Noon.

But no one does anything like that here.

I'm trying to bring buyers and sellers together and let the market set the price and take a small commission for the act of brokering the deal. I'm more interested in volumes of transactions than higher markups.

This is just an idea, but I'm tired of the gun/pawn shops being the only avenue. There has to be a better mouse trap on a local level.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc1960 View Post
...But no one does anything like that here.

I'm trying to bring buyers and sellers together and let the market set the price and take a small commission for the act of brokering the deal. I'm more interested in volumes of transactions than higher markups.

This is just an idea, but I'm tired of the gun/pawn shops being the only avenue. There has to be a better mouse trap on a local level.
You might run into a situation requiring an FFL do those transfers; it sounds like a bit of a stretch as a individual or face to face sale. (not a lawyer)

Have you looked for local groups on facebook? My nephew pointed one out to me that was very active, but I don't use facebook.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

True enough. I'm applying for my FFL this week just in case I would need one. Needing an FFL would be almost mandatory for this type of venture we decided when the idea came up.

I figured my biz partner and a couple of friends in the sheriffs posse here would add the needed administrative task sharing.

And actually, my sister mentioned Facebook for this type of connectivity. I'm not big fan of sharing information that can and will be used against me by the Federal government which is how I see that tremendous collection of personal data on Facebook being used one day against US citizens.

Of course, this is just a very raw idea that the actual "procedures" have not been worked out.

But the question remains - would you go if you knew there was a trusted place you could go to buy or sell and meet other like minded people? My basic thought was to bring people together who attend gun shows but don't like the costs associated with the promoters having to recover their advertising costs and venue rental.

I don't think the local Sonic would let me have a gun show in their parking lot like they do car shows or rally's. Rats! (Well, maybe....I'd like a turkey season burger, Route 44 magnum Dr. Pepperspray and a box of 9's to go"...Naah! it'd never work...) Anyway.

I guess you could call it a guns and ammo flea market of sorts but better organized in an auction type environment in a smaller more personal type of venue.

Last edited by jpc1960; 05-01-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #29

Liked 359 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Guns are sold at estate sales and at auctions now. I frequent them all of the time. A gun dealer is usually on hand to process the transactions for a fee. The prices for popular models are no cheaper than shows because many uniformed folks are there for something else, see the guns, and without doing any research or basic homework start bidding up the prices. I constantly see the guns selling for more than new ones currently on shelves.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Can't wait until the madness dies down and we can return to "normal"
shadecorp Likes This