So-called Gun Show Loophole - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Gun Shows > So-called Gun Show Loophole

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #81
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
You have to have an FFL to use NICS. You need a full FFL number when you call and a code word so I don't know who this private guy "called" but it wasn't NICS.
I asked the guy that question as that is how I understood it, and he says one of the FFLs at the show calls in for him for a couple of bucks. This guy calls the FFL and gives him the information and the FFL calls it in and reports the results.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #82

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
I asked the guy that question as that is how I understood it, and he says one of the FFLs at the show calls in for him for a couple of bucks. This guy calls the FFL and gives him the information and the FFL calls it in and reports the results.
That's interesting because if you get a NTN that is associated with a denied you have to keep a 4473 on hand for 5 years. I would love to be a fly on the wall when that FFL gets his inspection. I wonder if it's a state check? Do you live in a state that has a check in addition to NICS? Something is fishy.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
That's interesting because if you get a NTN that is associated with a denied you have to keep a 4473 on hand for 5 years. I would love to be a fly on the wall when that FFL gets his inspection. I wonder if it's a state check? Do you live in a state that has a check in addition to NICS? Something is fishy.
I am in Florida, but I am not sure what the requirements are for checks other then NCIS. I don't think Florida has any other. The private dealer guy may have an arrangement to give the FFL what he needs if it fails. I have no clue, I only know what they told me. I know the guy is not a dealer, and wew waited about 30 min. for my buddy to get his gun.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #84
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

to me it sounds fishy as well. sounds like the guy is using another persons FFL to do a background check so he can sell firearms. pretty sure if the ATF ever gets wind of it, they might not like how they are selling firearms.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #85

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The private seller transfers the firearm to the FFL. The FFL then does the Brady Check and the 4473. The private sale is completed with the FFL not the orginal buyer. The private seller pays the FFL a transfer fee for completeing the legal sale.
Now, the problem here is all the transfers are recorded by the FFL. The gun show transfers are used to enforce or limit the number of gun sales by private sellers.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The handgun was a used Glock 27. We waited while it was called in. I have checked Florida, and the requirement is the seller look at the drivers license to ascertain that it is a Florida resident, and ask if there is any reason the buyer cannot have a gun. No bill of sale required. This private dealer said he felt more comfortable for when BATFE changes the rules and comes back after the sellers that did not do this. I thought at the time (July 2012) he was making soup out of horse manure, but maybe in the long run he isn't.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #87

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I have been to a bunch of gun shows in my life. I have yet to acquire a firearm at a gun show. Gun shows are a place where I see and handle guns my LGS doesn't stock. Most of the guns at the gun shows in Raleigh are marked well above the MSRP. I see lots of people leaving gun shows with a gun. I go home and order the same gun online well below retail. If the gun is marked at $1,000 at a Raleigh gun show I can get it online for under $800. Then the LGS claims they can't get the gun for the same price as I can. I have to say bull manure to that one.
It's the same where I live in ky. I was at a gun show a little while back and was talking to a guy at a knife table and he asked if I bought anything and I told him no the prices everyone was asking for there guns was crazy, well above Msrp for very used guns. He told me that was because they could ask premium price because of no paperwork. Same thing at the big flea markets we have a few times a year they will get 250 bucks for a 10/22 that I'd question if it shot. Everynow and then there will be what I call a legitamit gun show where once u find something u want u go do the paperwork at a lgs bring the completed paperwork back and buy the gun. Now at those u can get a good deal. Don't get me wrong I'm in no way shape or form against law abiding folks being able to buy a gun but I do think all firearms sales should go through an ffl. Really if u sell a friend a gun go pay the 25 or 30 bucks to have the paperwork done. It keeps some guns out of hands that should not have them.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The private seller transfers the firearm to the FFL. The FFL then does the Brady Check and the 4473. The private sale is completed with the FFL not the orginal buyer. The private seller pays the FFL a transfer fee for completeing the legal sale.
Now, the problem here is all the transfers are recorded by the FFL. The gun show transfers are used to enforce or limit the number of gun sales by private sellers.
Yeah but the problem here is the FFL was not present and if a FFL does a transfer for two private buyers it has to go in the bound book. The only way it can come out of the bound book is with a 4473 or another FFL.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
This.

I saw private sales today, at the gun show I was at. They were doing back ground checks. However, it was so crowded, that I am sure some quick sales happened, in passing. There was almost no security, that I saw. Maybe they were plain clothes? There was a guy selling ammo in the parking lot. They shut him down, and as I was leaving he was set up in a different spot in the lot.

Doin' what I can, with what I got.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger52 View Post
This.

I saw private sales today, at the gun show I was at. They were doing back ground checks. However, it was so crowded, that I am sure some quick sales happened, in passing. There was almost no security, that I saw. Maybe they were plain clothes? There was a guy selling ammo in the parking lot. They shut him down, and as I was leaving he was set up in a different spot in the lot.
A local background check is one thing, calling a FFL who is not present to run a NICS check is totally different.

Member: